Why can't we drink before we eat?

Options
asia1967
asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
I was wondering why we can't drink before we eat? I was one of the first people in our clinic to have been sleeved. Back then all my information regarding surgery was pertaining to RNY,( I believe they may have changed this since I had my surgery) I get why patience with RNY can't drink because of the pouch. However since we don't have the pouch I was wondering if any surgeon/clinic has explained this to any one who has had VSG? I follow the rule, but was just curious. Thanks for any info.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    The PA in the surgeon's office explained to me that drinking while eating rushes food through your stomach, emptying it more quickly. You don't stay full for as long, and you are able to eat more than you would if you didn't drink.
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Also my doc said that if you drink water with the meal you won't have enough room to get the essentials from whatever meal your eating leading. That's been true for me
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When you drink right before or after you eat the fluids push through the food. Then you don't retain the fullness or the nutrition your body needs.

Personally, not drinking while/after I eat is the hardest. But it's what's best.
  • asia1967
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info. I don't usually drink right before or after eating. I was just curious and was wondering what the logic was behind the theory. :flowerforyou:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can drink up until I start eating with no ill effects. I cannot drink while I'm eating or for 45 - 60 minutes after I eat.

I agree with others that drinking and eating at the same time allows food to slip through your sleeve more quickly. I have also found that drinking on top of a full stomach makes me feel really sick, even at 3 years out.

Your mileage may vary -- follow your surgeon's advice during the losing phase.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My surgeon says I can drink liquids up to about 10 min before a meal, but have to wait 30 min after a meal. I can have a sip of water if something feels stuck in my throat. I still have 2 months of the diet before I can get approved for surgery. I normally don't drink a lot with meals unless it is very salty but I think it will be challenging to follow the 30 minute rule.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    This is probably my biggest challenge tbh. I don't do this well but I am improving. The liquid can create slider foods I guess and that is definitely something we need to avoid. I still have sips but working on better timing.
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My doctor said it was fine to drink just before I ate, but not during or 1 hour afterwards. The water pretty much empties right out and doesn't affect food that is eaten afterwards, he told me. But, as always, stick to whatever your doctor told you to do!!! :smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was told that in the begining, drinking before a meal was filling some of the limited space you needed for food with liquid, meaning you can't eat what you are supposed to. Drinking during, does the same thing. Drinking too soon after, flushed the food through the stomach too fast, so you weren't getting all the nutrients you could if you held the food longer and you would be hungry quicker.

Now I'm 3 years out, and I can drink before a meal if I want, but I have found that if my meal is 4 ounces of chicken and a small salad and I drink with it, I'm lucky to get even the whole 4 ounce of chicken in. And drinking after I've had a meal makes me feel way too full. So here I am, 3 years later and I still don't drink within a 1/2 hour of a meal or for about an hour after. Might be habit, but it works for me.
  • asia1967
    Options
    pawoodhull Now I'm 3 years out, and I can drink before a meal if I want, but I have found that if my meal is 4 ounces of chicken and a small salad and I drink with it, I'm lucky to get even the whole 4 ounce of chicken in. And drinking after I've had a meal makes me feel way too full. So here I am, 3 years later and I still don't drink within a 1/2 hour of a meal or for about an hour after. Might be habit, but it works for me.
    [/quote]

Thanks everyone. I agree if I drink to close to a meal I don't eat much. I was just curious as to how this compared to RNY patients who have a pouch. This at least answered my question. :flowerforyou:
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My program wants us to follow the 30-30-30 rule. No liquids 30 minute before a meal, take 30 minutes to eat a meal, and no liquids for 30 minute following the meal.

I believe they want us to get satiety by spending 30 minute eating the meal. Other than that others have covered the reasons I was given for before and after.

Rob
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I love that 30-30-30 Rule you mentioned Rob. I think I'm going to adopt it.
    I met a lady when I took the Craving Change workshops that had the surgery 3 years ago. She suggested to me that I start limiting my fluids now, even though my surgery is still at least 2 months away. I haven't started it yet but I think I should start soon.
    I drink so much water this time of year, I've constantly got a water bottle with me, even in the car.
    With the extreme heat of summer I'm still gonna take it in the car and when I'm out and about. But when I'm home eating my meals I'll start weening down on fluids using the 30-30-30 Rule as a guideline. Thanks for sharing it Rob. :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was told the "30-30-30" rule as well, and at first (say the first year) I could tell why! If I drank too close to my meals I felt physically ill or I could barely eat my food. Now though, at nearly 3 years out I've found that I can drink before my meal, but not during or after (as a few others have mentioned as well).

I have also noticed that I used to feel "full" from any liquid, even just water, for a long time! So it made sense not to eat right after or to dump more on top after a meal. Now though, I don't get that feeling. It seems like liquids pass very quickly through my sleeve at this point. I definitely still don't drink during my meal! I still get that "sick to my stomach" feeling when I do!
  • asia1967
    Options
    I never heard of the 30-30-30 rule. I like the idea of taking 30 minutes to eat. Just might try that one. Not sure it would work for me because I would want to pick while I am sitting at the table. Thanks for all the responses.