Comments about weight loss

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
Recently, a couple of my friends asked me how much more weight I wanted to lose. I told them 50 more lbs, to get to my goal weight of 150. They said, "you don't need to lose that much", "you will look TOO skinny", "you look good now", etc. I just said, that's my goal weight, but my main goal is to be healthy and I won't jeopardize that.

I really don't let it get to me but it's just funny to me that people say things like that. I am 5'-4" and I still weight 198 lbs and I wear size 16 jeans and size L shirts. I think I am far from being too skinny!

Has anyone else gotten comments like that? How do you respond or react?

Replies

• pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have been getting that for a couple months. I'm just a couple pounds from my goal but I'm not skinny. My goal is the top end of the 'normal' BMI for my height (5'6") so I am still overweight now. I take the comment as a compliment that I'm looking good. I also keep in mind that people are used to seeing me MUCH bigger, so maybe I do look malnourished to them!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS do what (1) works for you and (2) what you feel comfortable at.
    It may be your goal weight and it may be more/less.

My doctors and I set a goal weight and when i got there I felt I wanted to try to lose more even though they warned me it would be harder to maintain. Once I reached my ideal weight the only comments I got were how I was TOO SKINNY. I laugh because its at the top end of the healthy bmi/ low end overweight and because wasnt that the point of WLS????

I will admit that sometime I dont mind thinking about regaining a few pounds because I looked more filled out a few pounds higher (i.e. less saggy skin then) but for now I'm ok with it.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. i just say my orthopedist wants me the optimal wt for my height and bone structure to save my hip. i am too young for a hip replacement. Since i dont medicate with food anymore it isn't an added stressor to my dietary lifestyle. i just work the plan