Wednesday Check-in

Options
I see no one has written a Wednesday post, so I'll take the helm. This is my first post here. I used to drink beer....lots of beer. I was consuming about 1300 to 1500 calories a day in beer. Hmmmm......wonder where all this excess fat came from. Anyhow, I've been using myfitnesspal for about a week now. I'm down 3.5 lbs. I've restricted myself to 1750 calories a day and I have been working out (throwing kegs....ironic, flipping tractor tires, throwing sand bags, body weight exercises, etc...). I have had four beer since I started tracking myself, and this was during a poker night last weekend.

However, it is really hard for me to stop drinking altogether. I'm on the path to cutting down, but I still have 4 to 6 drinks a night. Just lower calorie drinks. My go to lately has been Captain Morgan and diet 7-up. Right around 50 calories a drink. So, while I know this board is about not drinking during the week....for those of you with weaker constitutions, like myself, there are some options if you like to relax a little after work.

Another strategy that I've adopted is called intermittent fasting. I wake up, grab an ice tea to give me a caffeine boost in the morning, drink some more iced tea during the day, skip breakfast, skip lunch, eat a sensible dinner. This intermittent fasting keeps me under my calorie goal for the day consistently, even while enjoying some drinks after work.

Now, some of you are probably thinking "gasp" everyone says to eat six small meals a day. If you don't eat your metabolism will slow down. Well, that is right and wrong. Research shows that your body has to go without significant calories for 72 hours before it goes into "starvation mode", or slowing of the metabolism. It seems to work for me. I just don't really get hungry during the day, as long as I'm staying busy, but I understand this path might not be for everyone.

Anyhow, I wish everyone the very best of luck and I'd love to see some comments.

Replies

• Becre8tive
    Becre8tive Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello Doco2279~!

Welcome, good to have you :-)

No, I didn't gasp, I know what you mean. I got PM's from friends telling me I can't just eat 1200 calories, or I HAVE TO do this or that too. I think they all mean well, BUT...they don't know me as well as I know myself.

I have been active in sports when I was younger, up to international competitions and I didn't even eat more than 2500 calories then even if trained 4-5 hours a day.

I am young inside, but older on paper (52), my metabolism is older too...worn out :-). I love my coffee, my wine and don't function without breakfast...everything else is debatable :-). I truly believe that my metabolism works best when I don't do the same routine over and over. One day high calories, the next day a low calorie intake, then back to normal and now and then a day with fasting, I truly believe that my Metabolism would work on high speed...not knowing what it would get the next day :-). But that's just my theory!

I love to fasten too and you will see me doing that for up to 2 days, so no worries there!

Yes, you too drunk too much, but you know that...so let's cut down on drinking!

As for me, I am changing my outlook on food and alcohol. I needed to relearn to enjoy both (with limitation)
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new and I think I have been back on MFP for about 10 days. I started getting serious with my weight loss the beginning of June, since then I lost 6lbs and 2 inches...what did I change...you got it, I only drink on Saturday nights...sometimes they start earlier than others, lol...and a lil bit on Sunday. During the week I dont go over 1400 calories, but lately I feel comfortable even at 900 calories which is really weird for me, lol. I do not eat after dinner either....tonight was hard, since its the start of my weekend so to speak and I wanted a drink....but I also go to WW and I weigh in on Saturday morning, so that helps keep me tame too, lol :-)

I think everyone needs to find that place where you loose weight and also enjoy life...some people would rather have an ice cream sundae I enjoy my wine and beer if im in the mood....it also depends what I am eating, lol.

Have a great holiday everyone!
  • mykizmom
    mykizmom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had not had a drink since Sunday, until last night. I have to work today and tomorrow so I decided to have a few beers last night. So the rest of the weekend I have no plans on drinking, but if I do it won't be beer. I don't have anything in the house so that should help after a long and I do mean a long day at work and I have to get right back to work tomorrow I don't see me stopping at any store for a drink. For all who have a long weekend off enjoy it.

I am also going to play with my calories for this next week I read that to go up and down for four weeks you can jump start your weight loss. So starting Sunday I will see.
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had not had a drink since Sunday, until last night. I have to work today and tomorrow so I decided to have a few beers last night. So the rest of the weekend I have no plans on drinking, but if I do it won't be beer. I don't have anything in the house so that should help after a long and I do mean a long day at work and I have to get right back to work tomorrow I don't see me stopping at any store for a drink. For all who have a long weekend off enjoy it.

I am also going to play with my calories for this next week I read that to go up and down for four weeks you can jump start your weight loss. So starting Sunday I will see.

Sounds like you have it under control! Its a good idea not to have it in the house till you are ready to have it...I know that works for me, lol.

I drink on Saturday and a lil on Sunday - but Saturday is my cheat evening...my hubby and I will have drinks and snacks together but right back on the wagon so to speak on Sunday with only a glass or two of wine with dinner and on Monday thru Friday we are strick.

Happy 4th :-)