starting to use compression socks

Options
my compression socks arrived in the mail just yesterday. I am running a 10k on sunday, and am wondering if i should wear the socks for the race. I know it's bad to start something the day of the race.
between now and then I have 2 more runs but no long run, so there's no telling what could happen on a long run.
(for me 10k is a medium-long run because I used to have achilles tendonitis, so this is my first time following a training plan and not getting injured! although I haven't had any other injuries)

I wore the socks today and am planning to wear them for my next two training runs. it felt pretty good to run in them but i only ran 5.8 km.
so should I wear the socks on race day, as long as my next two runs with them go well?

Replies

• wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you had two 5K ish runs in them with no issues, I would think you can wear them for the 10K without worry.

I've never heard of someone having issues with transitioning to compression socks.

Last year I started wearing compression calf sleeves about a week before a 10 mile race. I did two runs (one 3 mile and one 5 mile) and then the 10 mile race and had no issues.

Ted
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Agree - you should have no issues if you've had some run in the socks prior with no problems. Worst case scenario (as this happened to me once), you can roll the sock down off your calf to your ankle. It will release the muscle and it's also a very hip style statement!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    my compression socks arrived in the mail just yesterday. I am running a 10k on sunday, and am wondering if i should wear the socks for the race. I know it's bad to start something the day of the race.
    between now and then I have 2 more runs but no long run, so there's no telling what could happen on a long run.
    (for me 10k is a medium-long run because I used to have achilles tendonitis, so this is my first time following a training plan and not getting injured! although I haven't had any other injuries)

I wore the socks today and am planning to wear them for my next two training runs. it felt pretty good to run in them but i only ran 5.8 km.
    so should I wear the socks on race day, as long as my next two runs with them go well?

There have been a handful of tests about wearing compression sleeves while running and none of them indicate that it has any impact on performance.

There is an indication that compression sleeves help in port-run recovery, albeit it is minor. To paraphrase the words of one sage in the forum at runningahead.com, instead of paying for compression sleeves, just lie down after a run for a few minutes with your feet elevated. It's hard to argue against that logic.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine you having a problem with the compression socks. I transition in and out of mine all of the time....weeks on, weeks off. All depends on how I feel about getting them on and off in the early morning hours that I run. Personally I think they are great to run in and didn't think about breaking them in when I got my first pairs, just started running in them. Enjoy the race!
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

There have been a handful of tests about wearing compression sleeves while running and none of them indicate that it has any impact on performance.

There is an indication that compression sleeves help in port-run recovery, albeit it is minor. To paraphrase the words of one sage in the forum at runningahead.com, instead of paying for compression sleeves, just lie down after a run for a few minutes with your feet elevated. It's hard to argue against that logic.

Whether they impact "performance" or not is inconclusive but for many they do help. I had compartment release surgery on my left leg which left the muscle looser and more prone to injury (according to surgeon); so wearing a sleeve on my left leg has helped tremendously. Running is a very personal sport, whether it be physical or often more importantly, mental, use what works for you.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I probably should not say anything, since I have never heard of anyone else with this experience. But . . .
    I got compression socks. I wore them twice. The second time was a long run and I developed an intense Morton's neuroma. I was convinced it was related. I took the socks off, the neuroma gradually waned and then vanished, and I have never had a problem since.
    I still have them, if anyone wants . . .
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Whether they impact "performance" or not is inconclusive but for many they do help. I had compartment release surgery on my left leg which left the muscle looser and more prone to injury (according to surgeon); so wearing a sleeve on my left leg has helped tremendously. Running is a very personal sport, whether it be physical or often more importantly, mental, use what works for you.

Nicely said. I don't normally run on cement but there is this one event I go to monthly and I tested some compression sleeves there - it was the first and only time I've run on that hard surfaced area and felt fine after :)
  • proximateplatypus
    proximateplatypus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I thought they wouldn't be a problem. I'm looking forward to my first race tomorrow!