Protein Requirements

Options
My information from my DR says that I need to take in 60-80gms of protein a day. I am still on the Full liquid part for 11 more days. I am having so much trouble getting more than 20gms of protein a day. I started drinking this fantastic new clear protein drink called ISOPURE from GNC. It has 40gms in each bottle and they dont taste bad but, I am still struggling. Any suggestions?

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If there is a smoothie king near you, try their gladiator smoothie... 20 oz with 45g protein... yummy. Might take you awhile to drink though, and that early out may not agree with you yet. You can ask for one fruit instead of two if you want to lower the carbs (with no fruit, it has only 2g carbs... with one serving strawberries it has about 10-15g). Total calories about 250 (I get strawberry protein powder with one serving of strawberries).
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Also, you dont have to make a whole "shake" or protein drink at once. Get a fruity kind (i like Syntrax Grape or Apple), put 1/4 scoop in about 1-2oz water and drink it like a shot. Do that throughout the day and you will get a few scoops in (1/4scoop is about 6g protein).

Basically, you dont have to follow the directions for mixing 8oz water with a scoop, etc. Make it a little stronger with less water, and only make a little at a time. The grape/apple tastes like strong koolaid to me...
  • Hollybellalike
    Hollybellalike Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will give it a try.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    In the early period, the docs don't really expect you to get all the protein in. Do your best. If you can get that Isopure down, use that. I don't think there's a more concentrated source of protein than that.

Don't forget your water. That's more important than the protein, especially in the summer heat. The Isopure counts towards your liquids. At least 64 oz/day will ensure you don't end up in the ER getting an IV.
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    They didn't recommend any protein drink and they have you on a full liquid??? Sounds odd!

Sam's Club has Premier Protein (choc., vanilla, and strawberry). 30 g of protein, low carb. Also, consider getting a good protein powder. Many here like Syntrax (I haven't had it, though) and personally, I have been using Unjury protein powders with a lot of success and no icky aftertaste (available online). I really appreciated the Unjury powder because they have a chicken broth flavor and a cheese sauce, so I didn't have to have all sweet drinks which make me want to scream... LOL.

You can add some greek yogurt into your shakes to pump up the protein and also make them thicker...

:smile:
  • GraceByMySide
    Options
    Sorry, guess I misunderstood. Have you already been sleeved, then? It wasn't clear what you have been using up to this point. If you have been sleeved just recently, it will take a bit to work up to 60 g of protein. But yes, getting at least 60 will be important! Keep trying!! It will happen! Just try to relax!! Getting fluids is more important right after the procedure!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It's hard in the beginning to hit the protein targets, but once the swelling goes down you should be able to get there with the Isopure\other supplements. I sipped on Syntrax Nectar Lemon Iced Tea all day for the first few months to hit my totals in the beginning. It's got 24g per scoop, so 2 or 3 refills depending on what you're eating will get you there.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    premier protein shakes and Kroger Carbmaster vanilla skim milk (11g prot, 60 cals)
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I continued to use the 'New Direction" products I had left over from the 8 days of liquids prior to my surgery. They are very high protein, low carb/sugar and had a great taste. Everyone's taste is different, so it's hard to choose a protein drink mix. I bought Whey Isolate Protein Elite Series by Muscle Tech/Six Star in Decadent Chocolate and though I've tried a couple others, they are not nearly as good as what I buy. It has 30g/protein and an excellent balance of the rest.

I just bought Silk Almond Vanilla Flavor unsweetened milk and I find it disgusting, so I only use 1/2 cup with my protein shake and freeze to a nice thick consistency and can tolerate it. I won't buy it again, will try the Carbmaster milk and yogurt next time I'm in Lansing (20 miles away) and I won't make a special trip for it.

Next I'm going to try the Syntrax products that everyone says is so good and see what I think. A very smart person on MFP sent away for several sample size packets of protein mixes from a variety of companies and is going to see which one they like the best before buying the large containers. That' what I should have done, although I was able to return the Unjury products and will be refunded my money even though the containers were opened and I had them a month.
  • GraceByMySide
    Options
    It's funny how different people's tastes are... I just LOVE the Unjury products!!! Getting samples is obviously VERY important!!!
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love the Unjury products also. I'm sad they aren't selling the cheese sauce at the moment.

Sent my daughter out last night for the Kroger Carbmaster milk, used it to make my protein ice cream and really liked it. I like the almond milk also, but I don't drink that like milk, so doubt I'd like it as a creamer for coffee, if I drank it.

Unjury has a website called www.baribest.com that suggests WLS people get in 30 grams of protein at breakfast. I'm going to do that starting today and see if that helps the hunger I'm lately feeling. it makes sense to front load it.

And no, i don't think it's head hunger. I think I'm legitimately hungry, although it's not a raging monster like it used to be requiring my immediate attention.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem! When I was at that stage post-op I could barely tolerate my liquids, let alone my protein! It is a pain in the butt, but I got through it by "sip sip sipping" all freakin day. From the moment I woke up until I went to sleep I didn't do or go anywhere without my shake or water right next to me. Will your dr allow you to use a straw? I know some are against it, but it truly helped me a lot! By taking small sips I didn't put any pressure on my tummy and I didn't really have to wait very long inbetween them either.

Also, when I was at that stage I was told to "aim" for 60-80, that that would be my eventual goal. For those first couple weeks all my Dr cared about was that I was staying hydrated (so 60+oz of liquids per day). Just trying to get my protein was enough.

Also (again!), i could not tolerate the protein shakes at 11 days because they were way too "thick". Even the isopure (which I couldn't tolerate for some reason...tasted okay but my body rejected it asap once it hit my stomach). So for a little bit I had to water down the shakes. Didn't taste great but it was better than boring old liquids at that point!

Good luck :) Try not to stress! This is an awesome ride you are now a part of, try to enjoy it!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Premier protein, which you can buy in bulk at BJs, has 30 grams of carbs per 11 oz container, and it tastes good. I like the chocolate.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That early out there is no way you can get that much protein in. Just be sure you are getting some protein in and that you are drinking plenty of water.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My information from my DR says that I need to take in 60-80gms of protein a day. I am still on the Full liquid part for 11 more days. I am having so much trouble getting more than 20gms of protein a day. I started drinking this fantastic new clear protein drink called ISOPURE from GNC. It has 40gms in each bottle and they dont taste bad but, I am still struggling. Any suggestions?

Your post confused me a bit; Can you only drink a half bottle or do you not like the Isopure?

Have you tied a few of the Isopure flavors? I used two bottle per day in the first few months which helped me nail the protein goal while getting 40 oz liquid. There are a great many good products available, many listed by the responders here but I did find that the Isopure gives you a great jump start.
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different temps of liquids? For me right after surgery the my liquids had to be either ice cold or almost boiling hot to sit well in my new tummy. Try the Isopure on ice, or hot broth and see if it sits better.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Isopure is awesome because it also counts towards your water for the day. I like and still use Syntrax Nectar shakes. They have some creamy (mix with milk) and some non-creamy (mix with water). I like to freeze the creamy ones, shake every hour or so until it's like a slushy. 20+ grams of protein in a scoop plus the milk, give you over 30 for one of the creamy shakes. Also I use Syntrax unflavored protein powder. You can add it to anything to up your protein intake. 10 grams per scoop and it really doesn't change the flavor at all.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'll second what Pawoodhull said. I added a scoop of the unflavored Syntrax to just above everything when I was on liquids and mushy foods. The trick is to add it after you heat something up or you get a rather unappetizing gunk. I also still live by the Syntrax Nectar in the fruity (mix with water) flavors. I use them when I work out for a protein burst and they were a godsend when I got really tired of milky shakes. I find them for reasonable prices on eBay.