Scaring Others When Passing Them On The Trail

Options
rassha01
rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
Does anyone else get an awkward feeling when you pass a walker or slower runner while running and they pretty much keel over from a heart attack? Is it common courtesy to maybe clear your throat or say something when you are about 20 feet behind them and give them a heads up? I don't really want to put bells on my shoes so I thought I would troll for other opinions.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I always try to let them know I am coming, starting about 25 meters out. I do what I can. If they have headphones in and I scare the crap out of them, then that's not my problem. :)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of noise, and, if that doesn't seem to work, I will call out "on your left" a couple seconds before I pass. Most of the time though, if they don't hear me after I "make a lot of noise", then they usually have two earbuds with volume up and running alone on a trail ...so, it's their own fault.....
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I breathe pretty loudly, so I think people can usually hear me, and I never seem to startle anyone too bad. If I'm on a bike, I'll announce myself (and it's my BIGGEST peeve when others on bikes don't do so when I'm running; they fly by so fast and scare the bejeeezus out of me!). The only time I call out when I'm running is when somoene is listening to headphones and it's a particularly empty bit of trail; they may not be expecting anyone. But usually the trails are pretty well-populated when I go out running, so a passing runner wouldn't be too startling.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If it is a woman I give a loud "On your xxxx" when I am still a good 25' away, for a man I will wait until I am a little closer.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I consider the startle they recieve to be a free lesson in being aware of ones space, especially in the outdoors. However, if I feel they are a potential danger to me due to their reeling and stumbling (often the case), I'll politely scream "Hold your line or go walk on a treadmill."

Then I give them a friendly little wave as I pass.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I consider the startle they recieve to be a free lesson in being aware of ones space, especially in the outdoors. However, if I feel they are a potential danger to me due to their reeling and stumbling (often the case), I'll politely scream "Hold your line or go walk on a treadmill."

Then I give them a friendly little wave as I pass.

You might want to try smacking them on the butt too.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The racket my breathing makes when I'm running, I rarely scare anyone, however I do have to keep an eye on the dog when people are coming towards me, they see me fine but they don't see the 52kg ridgeback that's stalking them from the tree line, him jumping out the tree line as people approach has scared a few, he's like special ops, he just appears from nowhere!!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I say "on your left". If they are too zoned out due to headphone use or whatever then they deserve to have the hell scared out of them or be eaten by a mountain lion.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My fav running place has only pedestrians. I'll say "on your left" to other runners, but to casual walkers or hikers I'll shout "good morning" or "passing", or if I'm right close to them I'll say "excuse me, I'd like to pass". No need to freak people out. I generally only startle people who have headphones on.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    After scaring way way too many people, I literally had someone tell me I was like some sneaking up running ninja, I decided I need to warn people. I even had one person holler, do you work for the police, you're super quiet!!

Even my husband says I am super quiet (my feet not my motor mouth) when I run.

So, now I warn everyone and try to give them some distance. When I am by myself.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The racket my breathing makes when I'm running, I rarely scare anyone, however I do have to keep an eye on the dog when people are coming towards me, they see me fine but they don't see the 52kg ridgeback that's stalking them from the tree line, him jumping out the tree line as people approach has scared a few, he's like special ops, he just appears from nowhere!!

I would straight up pee myself.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I always attempt to make my presence known as I approach!
  • Keebler1976
    Keebler1976 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    On Your Left !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I got tired of having the bejeebus scared out of me, so now when I run outdoors, I don't listen to music. There are a lot of cyclists on the trail I run, and they rarely warn me they're coming, so I have to just not have any noise so I can hear them before they fly right past me. Other runners generally make enough noise that I always know they're coming (trail running is noisy, lots of rock and gravel, and heavy breathing). The cyclists are the ones that just seem to suddenly fly out of nowhere.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I say "on your left". If they are too zoned out due to headphone use or whatever then they deserve to have the hell scared out of them or be eaten by a mountain lion.

Yup! Agreed!