Help!!

Options
Hello everyone. I had my surgery on June 18th so not quite three weeks out and I gained two pounds! I switched to soups on Tuesday last week and I have only been able to get about 1 can down per day plus liquids. But somehow I gained. I was 243 pre op diet. 231 day of surgery and got down to 214 on wens and this morning I was up to 216. It's so discouraging. What do I do? Help. I just wanna cry.

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    First, don't panic. If you are following the dietary guidelines, you *will* lose weight, it just won't be in a straight line (or always downward).

Second, canned soups are notoriously high in sodium, which can make you retain water. Some people are much more sensitive to water retention due to sodium in your diet. Check you daily sodium intake and if it has gone p when you switched to soups, this can cause the problem.

Third, see First.

Good luck!

Rob
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My advice? Put the scale away. Keep following your program. Weigh yourself in another two weeks or so.
    The weight WILL come off. Just be patient.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    this happened to me. You are retaining water from the insane level of sodium. I started making my own soups with low sodium chicken broth in the crock pot. Just stick to the plan. your fat to lean ratio is changing rapidly and this shifts your water wt. getting away from processed food will really help you on this journey. Everytime i eat processed food i am 2 lbs heavier the next day-salt s the culprit
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My advice? Put the scale away. Keep following your program. Weigh yourself in another two weeks or so.
    The weight WILL come off. Just be patient.

For about the first 6 months, I didn't weigh myself unless I went to the doctor. I did not want to be obsessed with the scale, I wanted to be focused on doing what I had to do. If you follow your plan, you WILL lose weight. Fluctuations as your body adjusts post surgery are very common. Like Mangopickle said, getting away from processed food can be a huge help too.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with garber6th about the scale. I didn't purchase one until about 10 weeks out as I knew I would be weighing myself obsessively. I had not clue what I weighed until I went to my surgeon for my 30 day follow-up and found I had lost something like 20+ pounds. Since then I continue to rely more on the fit of my clothing - all too big and baggy to be even seen in public with them. That gives me my continued motivation and I have continued to try and keep my sodium level about 50% of where it says I should be as I do retain water easily, always have.

Even now that I have the scale and it's always in sight in the bathroom, I find that I only weigh myself every so often (not even once a week). I still rely on how I look in the mirror and how big the pile of clothes is getting that need altering or given away and it's growing every week.

YOU WILL LOSE, just give it a little more time. I also felt much better when I was cleared to begin exercising and now swim, do the elliptical and/or flex-band strengthening exercises every day. If I don't do them I feel guilty and have to do them that evening.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Please, please don't be so harsh on yourself!!! Your body just went through major trauma! It was only three weeks ago! Most everyone's weight will flip flop like that, where you lose and then gain, etc. Right now you should *only* be focusing on getting in your liquids and hitting your protein/nutrition goals. Don't start worrying about the numbers. Right now you are in "recovery" mode, not weight loss mode.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I agee with everyone here. First, don't weigh yourself for a bit. Second, I make all my own soups/stews because I can load them with lean meat and beans to up the protein and control the amount of fat and sodium in them. I am very sensitive to sodium so any canned or processed (you can buy it in the grocery store) soups have too much sodium and not enough protein for me.

This journey does not always go in a straight downward path. Some of us bounce up and down regularly, stall or lose slowly. I actually do all three. But as long as the overall direction is down, you are still going in the right direction. Patience my friend. You hear this a lot, but you didn't put it on in a week, you won't get it all off in a week either.