Carbonated beverages

Options
My list from the MD says no Carbonated beverages for life. Does anyone know why?

Replies

• olivia0428
    olivia0428 Posts: 10
    Options
    I was told the carbonation in soda ect can stretch out the sleeve. My doctor said I could have "flat soda" instead of a regular drink. I have also read that when people try it has an unpleasant feeling enough that you wouldn't want to try again

I was sleeved a week ago so I've never experienced this before
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The carbonation also upsets a lot of peoples stomachs after the surgery. I find I don't even crave/want soda any more. So many healthier things to drink.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    carbonated beverages give a full feeling that may prevent you from getting in adequate fluid or protein, because you feel too full. Not to mention causing gassiness and the "burps".:wink:
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    We've been told repeatedly in my post-op classes and support groups that carbonated beverages can stretch your stomach. Just pretend they don't exist.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'll be sleeved in about 2 months. I was told at the orientation that we need to give up all carbonated beverages. I think it has something to do with the air that it puts in the stomach and can also cause gas pains. If you want to look back at the threads (topics) from a few weeks ago, I started a thread on alternatives for carbonated beverages. If you can find it there are a lot of posts about alternatives to drinking pop. Hope this helps. :smile: :drinker:
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was told it was a "toleration" thing. Many post-sleevers cannot tolerate the soda at all. Either because of the carbonation (even "flat" soda still has enough to notice!) or because of the high acid content. I was told that it would essentially be up to me whether I could drink it or not. I was never a heavy soda drinker as I am not fond of "the bubbles" (even as a child I would use a straw to blow out all of the fizziness) but every once in awhile it is nice as a change.

I could not tolerate it at all the first year or so. Now at three years old I can have a glass if I want, but I have to either stir it a ton or blow the fizziness out before I can. It's rather amusing.. both my mom and my 8 year old sister have gotten into the habit of sticking a straw in it and blowing out the fizziness before they bring me a cup :)

Oh, and my Dr. though that the whole "stretch out your sleeve" was total BS... she just told me to stay mindful of the amount I drank. For many people, soda is one of their main "vices" that contributed to their weight gain in the first place... in that case, staying away from it for life would be great advice.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    carbonated beverages give a full feeling that may prevent you from getting in adequate fluid or protein, because you feel too full. Not to mention causing gassiness and the "burps".:wink:

Yes ^^^ This for me too. I don't do soad anymore at all and drank diet coke like water pre-op. I don't really mniss it now. I will on occasion have a Guinness, (which is VERY lightly carbonated), but usually can't finish even a small glass because it make me very full before it gets hot.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    At the support group the attending Dr. said that drinking carbonated beverages on your smaller stomach is like shaking a can of soda and then opening it. The gas has to go somewhere and you don't have room for it. you will either throw up or other gas issues will occur. I have also been told that the sleeved stomach does not stretch. I for one do not like the bloated feeling or gas pains and to give up soda is not a problem for me.

I do have a friend that had a gastric bypass and she will occasionally have a beer or diet soda, she said it hurts but she likes it more than the pain. She has also gained back more that half the weight she lost.

As a former Diet Coke junkie I am finding that water, or tea do just fine, I drink Crystal Light if I want something different.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Pre-VSG, I lamented having to give up Champagne post-VSG (it is alcohol and carbonated), as well as seltzer water! Being post-VSG, I can't even imagine having anything carbonated. The first week post-op, I had to learn to consciously and carefully swallow to avoid swallowing air with normal food and beverages, to avoid the feeling of trapped air in my stomach. Very uncomfortable! The memory of that is enough to relieve me of my desires to drink carbonated beverages. Also, my MD said that you can stretch out the pouch with carbonated beverages. No thank you!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My favorite flavored water is carbonated. Because it's zero calories NAD zero sodium (I am very sodium semsitive and retain water weight easily) I do drink it, but I take a few sips and then shake the carbonation out. My tummy just does not like the carbonation at all. I feel uncomfortably full really fast and getting the burps out isn't easy. If it wasn't so hard to find a good tasting, zero sodium flavored water I would switch. But again, I shake out all the carbonation.

PS - had beer for the first time last week. Can't shake the carbonation out of that. Had a small glass, got maybe a 1/4 of it down and that took me a good hour as I sipped slowly. Just a 1/4 and I was very full and buzzed! The co-workers had a lot of fun at my expense and one of them got to finish my almost full glass of beer! :laugh:
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was a diet coke junkie too. About 3 weeks after surgery I decided to get a 2L diet caffeine free coke and deflate it. I tended to it night and day, carefully shaking out the carbonation, releasing the gas, singing to it, etc. When I was sure there could be no carbonation left I poured myself a glass and celebrated a return to humanity. It was the most disgusting thing I've had post op, my stomach ached from the bubbles, and I doubt I will ever drink soda again.

- Tales from the Sleeve
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was a diet coke junkie for sure and have craved them on occasion since my surgery (May 22, 2014). My doctor also discouraged against drinking them for all of the reasons that people have posted. I am glad to read the experiences because this makes me not want to even try to drink them. I stick with tea sweetened with Splenda, Crystal Light, water with lemon, and Isopure.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I tolorate most everything but I did find that anything highly carbonated makes me feel very uncomfortable so I just avoid it. However being a beer fan I did have to experiment and like @bikrchk I found Guiness to be enjoyable and easy to drink. Spaten double bock is also lightly carbonated (just a bit more than guiness) and can be sipped slowly.

Also foung that a light spritz of soda in a fresh Mojito is tolorable but not any regular fuly carbonated drinks. Have not tried champagne yet.

Any way you cut it you will burp a bit. Now for a guy having a beer this is not an issue, but champagne at a fancy party - not so much.