B12 ?

Options
asia1967
asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
Ok so here is my question. I get a B12 shot once a month (11th) 1cc/1ml. I feel great until about the third to fourth week of the month. My blood work back in (march) showed everything was good. I have asked the dr if I could get the shot every three wks and she didn't think there would be any need. However I can barely drag my butt around to do the basics never mind anything else. So I guess my question is if I took oral supplements do you think this could help? I know no one is a dr just want an opinion or someone with the similar kind of experience. It is so frustrating wanting to go do something, (walk, exercise, whatever) and have no energy to do it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies

• AdrenilineDad
    Options
    Ok so here is my question. I get a B12 shot once a month (11th) 1cc/1ml. I feel great until about the third to fourth week of the month. My blood work back in (march) showed everything was good. I have asked the dr if I could get the shot every three wks and she didn't think there would be any need. However I can barely drag my butt around to do the basics never mind anything else. So I guess my question is if I took oral supplements do you think this could help? I know no one is a dr just want an opinion or someone with the similar kind of experience. It is so frustrating wanting to go do something, (walk, exercise, whatever) and have no energy to do it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am in the same boat...was even thinking of taking a half dose and then waiting two weeks. Im looking forward to the responses.
  • cutty805
    cutty805 Posts: 54
    Options
    My doctor advised against the shot so I take a sublingual B12 and liquid B complex every morning. It's not convenient but I haven't had any issues feeling low on energy, and on days I feel I need an afternoon pick me up I take another B12 sublingual.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have taken sublingual B-12 since surgery and my blood work is always great. However I find that I need 2000-2500mg a day or my butt is dragging. My doctor has offered for me to take the shot but it's not convenient for me to go to the doctor once a month for it nor is my insurance very friendly about paying for such visits.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I take a sublingual with my multivitamin daily. Labs have always been high for B12. High enough that I started breaking the tablet in half. Energy levels is good.
  • asia1967
    Options
    My doctor advised against the shot so I take a sublingual B12 and liquid B complex every morning. It's not convenient but I haven't had any issues feeling low on energy, and on days I feel I need an afternoon pick me up I take another B12 sublingual.

Thanks or your response, what dosage are you taking? I give myself the shot so it is no biggie that way for me( I am a lab tech)
  • asia1967
    Options
    I have taken sublingual B-12 since surgery and my blood work is always great. However I find that I need 2000-2500mg a day or my butt is dragging. My doctor has offered for me to take the shot but it's not convenient for me to go to the doctor once a month for it nor is my insurance very friendly about paying for such visits.

Thanks for your response. I give my own shot. But was just thinking about taking something to carry me there the end of the month.
  • asia1967
    Options
    I take a sublingual with my multivitamin daily. Labs have always been high for B12. High enough that I started breaking the tablet in half. Energy levels is good.

Wow, that is great. I have to take the shot and still drag my butt. I wish I had great energy level all month. But I think I will supplement the later part of the month and see if that helps, then get my blood work done again. Thank for the info.
  • cutty805
    cutty805 Posts: 54
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks or your response, what dosage are you taking? I give myself the shot so it is no biggie that way for me( I am a lab tech)
    [/quote]

I take 5000 mg daily, seems to be enough to keep me going!
  • asia1967
    Options

[/quote]

I take 5000 mg daily, seems to be enough to keep me going!
    [/quote]

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm about 3 mos post op, and I take the chewable suppliment from GNC. I WANT the shot becuase I'm so exhausted all the time- even though my protien intake is good- but my MD is not keen on it....I had a B12 issue after I had my daughter and ended up having the infusion therapy followed by injections. Even though the infusion therapy was hard to take ( heavy in the veins if that makes sense...) I felt like night and day afterwards.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I was taking a sublingual B-12 and my doctor told me to stop because my b-12 was off the charts high.

During months 3-9 post op I was DRAGGING. Like barely can get out of bed kind of dragging. My doctor couldn't find anything wrong with any of my vitamin levels. She advised me to get more sleep (up to 10 hours a night) and continue with exercise but don't overdo it.
  • asia1967
    Options
    I was taking a sublingual B-12 and my doctor told me to stop because my b-12 was off the charts high.

During months 3-9 post op I was DRAGGING. Like barely can get out of bed kind of dragging. My doctor couldn't find anything wrong with any of my vitamin levels. She advised me to get more sleep (up to 10 hours a night) and continue with exercise but don't overdo it.

Miss thanks for the heads up. Mine is low, and I do take the shots, just drag near the end of the month when my shot is due again. I get as much sleep as I possibly can. Not always a great sleeper, but it has improved 3 fold.
    Thanks again.
  • AdrenilineDad
    Options
    I am taking the same dose shot as you and after reading a couple of post I am taking one sublingual a day until my next shot...then I will lay off until I start to feel the drag. So far it has really helped my energy levels.
  • ankinray
    ankinray Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The shot is not the optimal delivery form. The nasal spray (once per week) or daily sublinguals provide more even blood levels.
  • asia1967
    Options
    I am taking the same dose shot as you and after reading a couple of post I am taking one sublingual a day until my next shot...then I will lay off until I start to feel the drag. So far it has really helped my energy levels.

Thanks for the heads up, I was going to wait until I started feeling the drag and then take mine daily, maybe I need to rethink that one.
  • asia1967
    Options
    The shot is not the optimal delivery form. The nasal spray (once per week) or daily sublinguals provide more even blood levels.

Wow I never knew that. It is my surgeons clinic that said I needed to take the shot. But if there is a better way I am going to talk to my GP about it. Thanks for the info.
  • ve7jne
    ve7jne Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi!
    I am a lukeer as well. You sound like you should be checked for Fibromyalgia. I have it to a disabling degree, My ad days are just the way you describe "dragging my butt around". There is a pressure point test done at 18 sites on the body. If you react to 11 or more you have Fibromyalgia, I usually react to 14.

ve7jne
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Wow I never knew that. It is my surgeons clinic that said I needed to take the shot. But if there is a better way I am going to talk to my GP about it. Thanks for the info.

I hate to be cynical, but your surgeon's office tells you that you "need" to take the shot because they can bill your insurance for it every month. They don't make money off of the sublingual form you buy at Costco and take yourself.

I am going to NP school, and we have frequent MD guest lecturers. You'd be amazed at how much practice is driven based on the ability to bill insurance and charge a co-pay.

B12 cannot be taken orally (as a pill that you swallow) because it is immediately destroyed by the liver after it is absorbed from your stomach and before it can be distributed to your body (called "first pass metabolism"). If taken sublingually or given by injection, it reaches the bloodstream and tissues before it gets to your liver.

Ask your doctor (the one not charging you for the B12 injections) whether you can get the same results from a sublingual form.

Edited to add: I take a sublingual that I buy at Costco and have never had a problem.
  • asia1967
    Options

I hate to be cynical, but your surgeon's office tells you that you "need" to take the shot because they can bill your insurance for it every month. They don't make money off of the sublingual form you buy at Costco and take yourself.

I am going to NP school, and we have frequent MD guest lecturers. You'd be amazed at how much practice is driven based on the ability to bill insurance and charge a co-pay.

B12 cannot be taken orally (as a pill that you swallow) because it is immediately destroyed by the liver after it is absorbed from your stomach and before it can be distributed to your body (called "first pass metabolism"). If taken sublingually or given by injection, it reaches the bloodstream and tissues before it gets to your liver.

Ask your doctor (the one not charging you for the B12 injections) whether you can get the same results from a sublingual form.

Edited to add: I take a sublingual that I buy at Costco and have never had a problem.

MyOwnSunshine:

Thanks for all the info. The clinic recommend the shots. My family gave me a prescription for the serum. I give myself the shot. I was just looking to supplement my B12 when I start dragging butt the later half of the month. I will definitely check out Costco. Again many thanks.