Making meals on strict diets

Options
I'm vegan. Kind of don't have a choice because I'm vegetarian and then lactose intolerant. I LOVE peanut butter, fruits, veggies, rice, beans, fish... I'm actually pretty open to things. My only problem is finding diversity. I feel like I'm always just eating the same stuff no matter how often or different it is. For breakfast, I normally have a (kids) clif bar/a banana with peanut butter/toast with peanut butter and for lunch normally a peanut butter sandwich (if I didn't have pb that morning) or a sandwich with hummus and tomato. Then for a snack usually whatever I haven't eaten that day, this is usually either a clif bar or banana with peanut butter. And dinner is often rice with veggies and or fish. I just feel like I need more variety, and I know that other people would like variety too so maybe people can help me and we can help other people who feel the same way! Thanks guys!

Replies

• nufertiri
    nufertiri Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi,

upon first glance it seems to me that although you're stating to be open to food choices, you're limiting yourself by only selecting from a handful of meal options.

Here are some ideas on vegan foods, which I enjoy very much:
    e.g. for breakfast:
    - cereals with any kind of (vegan) milk, e.g. almond or soja mik (or much more)
    - fruits with vegan yoghurts, optionally toppled with nuts

for Lunch and/or Dinner:
    - lots of salat variations (green salats, cucumber, tomato, acovado, and about a trillion more, with pasta, rice, ...)
    - instead of rice you can try quinoa or cooked (not puffed) amaranth
    - marinated and grilled or roasted tofu

What helped me to get my mind started on vegan food options was browsing though differnt cookbooks.

Hope you'll find lots of new foods to indulge on :)

(Just as a side remark: Eating fish and being a vegeratian or even vegan doesn't make sense to me... fish = animal = not vegeratian... If you're a vegeration due to ethical reasons, you might want to re-consider)
  • lisagaymartz
    lisagaymartz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ever try mashed avocado with lemon juice on toast? Or toast with Earth Balance spread and nutritional yeast sprinkled on top.?Those are great for breakfast.
    Try whole grain noodles in place of rice.
    Tempeh is a good addition to your veggies, and is easy to throw in the mix. A lot of people like it better than tofu, and it is less processed.
    You must get tired of peanut butter sandwiches. Try throwing canned garbanzo beans, lemon juice, fresh parsley, garlic, cumin, and a little oil into a blender for a chunky spread that tastes a little like falafel. And it's way cheaper than buying hummus.
    If you eat fish you are technically a pescetarian. Just FYI. People can be super opinionated about YOUR diet. Eat what you want.
    Look to Japanese recipes for non-dairy recipes with seafood in them.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Sounds like you have a good, balanced diet. Congratulations!
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while you can go all crazy and buy the morning star or boca meatless burger crumbles and have tacos with avocado, salsa, lettuce on a corn torilla.

If your not looking for something that processed, you can add a lot more veggies to your day. I found a good website earlier, http://detoxinista.com - she had a lot of vegan recipes on there!