soy/estrogen dominance

Options
KatyFace9801
KatyFace9801 Posts: 230 Member
Hello! So, I've been reading up on the soy/ estrogen link and it sounds a lot like what I experience. I carry extra fat around my hips and waist that just won't budge!
I was wondering if anyone else had ever really looked into this link between estrogen dominance and soy. I've also read that fermented soy may be better. I don't eat a lot of fake meats or anything, but I have been putting tofu in my green smoothies and marinated baked tofu on my salads for a while. After reading up on this I bought tempeh to put on my salads instead.

Just wondering if anyone (women) has had any success in losing fat in those areas by cutting out soy.
Thanks!

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    OMG Count your blessings girl! I had a meaty butt, wide hips and fleshy thighs-- before menopause. Now I have no butt, and my narrow shoulders are now wider than my hips. All the fat that was in the back shifted around to my midriff and waist. I am officially a matronly blob. Be glad you still have hips. A fat waist and straight narrow hips and no butt looks old and hideous. A blob. Estrogen iswhat keeps your figure youthful!
  • KatyFace9801
    Options
    lol, I would like to minimize my muffin top though!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hello! So, I've been reading up on the soy/ estrogen link and it sounds a lot like what I experience. I carry extra fat around my hips and waist that just won't budge!
    I was wondering if anyone else had ever really looked into this link between estrogen dominance and soy. I've also read that fermented soy may be better. I don't eat a lot of fake meats or anything, but I have been putting tofu in my green smoothies and marinated baked tofu on my salads for a while. After reading up on this I bought tempeh to put on my salads instead.

Just wondering if anyone (women) has had any success in losing fat in those areas by cutting out soy.
    Thanks!
    The soy oestrogen link is a myth. Soya does not contain oestrogen they contain phytoestrogen also known as plant oestrogen. Other than the similar name though these are not oestrogen and do not act the same way as the human hormones so does not effect hormonal balance

This is actually a pretty good article on it

http://freefromharm.org/health-nutrition/vegan-doctor-addresses-soy-myths-and-misinformation/
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Well, I'm not a "woman" but here is my $0.02--I don't consume any tofu and the only technically "fake meat" I eat is tempeh (I use it salads, pitas, etc. It mixes well with other legumes and humus as well. Of all the soy-type products tempeh is the only one that I find beneficial (low in fat/sodium and high in protein--which is something I need in high volume training).

As far as the extra around the torso, the only thing that has ever worked for me is cardio (and a lot of it). Actually when you put in enough time/miles it automatically goes away! I haven't done a sit-up or crunch in years yet my six pack remains and my body fat is consistently at <10%. Of course, I'm not advocating going train for a ultra-marathon or something. However, an abundance of cardio will help two fold as opposed to whatever diet issues you are struggling to fine-tune.
  • KatyFace9801
    Options
    thanks for the feedback, everyone!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Of course, I'm not advocating going train for a ultra-marathon or something.

hey! what's wrong w/ ultras? ha ha ha.

I haven't noticed soy contributing to midbody pudge, only too much sugar or refined foods. If I get lazy w/ my food, here comes the belly! Otherwise my abs are great and I pretty much do nothing in particular, except run a lot of ultras. ha ha ha
  • deertheory
    deertheory Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Well, I'm not a "woman" but here is my $0.02--I don't consume any tofu and the only technically "fake meat" I eat is tempeh (I use it salads, pitas, etc. It mixes well with other legumes and humus as well. Of all the soy-type products tempeh is the only one that I find beneficial (low in fat/sodium and high in protein--which is something I need in high volume training).

As far as the extra around the torso, the only thing that has ever worked for me is cardio (and a lot of it). Actually when you put in enough time/miles it automatically goes away! I haven't done a sit-up or crunch in years yet my six pack remains and my body fat is consistently at <10%. Of course, I'm not advocating going train for a ultra-marathon or something. However, an abundance of cardio will help two fold as opposed to whatever diet issues you are struggling to fine-tune.

What kinds of cardio do y'all recommend? I cycle a lot and am going to get back into running. Anything else? Swimming is off the table briefly for because of a new piercing, but I'm guessing that would be recommended, too. :happy: I understood the consequences of getting it at the beginning of summertime. Anything else that I'm not thinking of?
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think soy for me gave me digestion problems so when I cut it out my stomach got better and leaner (maybe also cuz I went mostly raw) but ya that and running and doing planks every night has been working for me
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options

What kinds of cardio do y'all recommend? I cycle a lot and am going to get back into running. Anything else? Swimming is off the table briefly for because of a new piercing, but I'm guessing that would be recommended, too. :happy: I understood the consequences of getting it at the beginning of summertime. Anything else that I'm not thinking of?

I'd say whatever you are into. I'm not going to recommend cycling to everyone if it's something you don't enjoy. If time is a restraint, running will burn more calories in less time. I suppose HIIT would do the same. All depends on the person really.

Got me curious on the "new piercing"...? ;-)