Walking / Hiking Trails

Options
TMcSter
TMcSter Posts: 69 Member
Would you please list your favorite walking or hiking trails, how to get there and how long they are. With as beautiful as San Diego is I'm sure there are a bunch I'm missing out on. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Rockin_Robyn
    Rockin_Robyn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Mount Laguna - fresh, clean air and beautiful scenery. There are a lot of trails ranging from 1-2 miles to 6-8 miles....
    It's also a great place to take dogs off-leash; my pups LOVE it.
  • Adderly619
    Adderly619 Posts: 21
    Options
    One of the best trails I can think of is Cowles Mountain, I always enjoy hiking/running up and down during sunset or before sunrise. The hike to the top its 1.5 miles, unless you take different routes to make it longer.
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Iron Mountain via Ellie Way is great too... about a 9.3 mile loop.

I did it last week and WHEW!

Cheers!
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Iron Mountain via Ellie Way is great too... about a 9.3 mile loop.

I did it last week and WHEW!

Cheers!
    Definitely going to chime in on this one. Only did it once with my stepbrother to check it out and we took a really long time just because we stopped to admire so much. We only ended up seeing three people the entire hike until we ended up on the main Iron Mountain trail.

I do like the plain vanilla Iron Mountain trail, too. c:
  • Ladytigerr1980
    Ladytigerr1980 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    double peak in san marcos. does anyone want to do a hike?
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Torrey Pines, not the toughest or the longest, but the prettiest, also love the backside of cowels, and Mt. Woodsen, more so in Novemberish.
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Another cool jaunt is the Mission Trails "5 Peaks".

Kwaay Paay -> North Fortuna (via Oak Canyon) -> South Fortuna -> (quick drive to Barker Way) Cowles Mtn -> Pyles Peak.

A great, great workout! I made a half day of it and burned well over 3500 calories :)

Here's a link to map info:

https://www.mtrp.org/trail_map.asp
  • JaimeOGC
    JaimeOGC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mount Woodson Trail

I did it once, and its nice.

I want to do it again....

Mt Woodson Trail, Poway, CA 92064,

Also, Iron Mountain Summit Trail is recommended. The start is nice.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    There are some beautiful trails out and around San Diego. It's really hard to get good info and maps online though. I found an old book at a used bookstore that led me to a defunct-trail off the S22 which I ended up following all the way to the Pacific Crest Trail, with a crazy view over a cliff into the desert. I lost the book in a car crash though and since the trail is officially closed there are no markers :( Waaah!

I have done Lake Poway which isn't super scenic but it's pretty quiet and it's a nice loop so not just all uphill followed by all downhill.

I hate Cowles...it's like going to SeaWorld with the crowds there.

Some book ideas:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hiking trails in san diego
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Anyone know of a good flat trail I could hike this weekend with my sore knees?
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

apparently not!
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Hahaha right? I think the MFP is killing the groups, not sure why but..I forgot they existed when I first came back here. Someone messaged me about an old post I had in the Geeks group and that reminded me,
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    :(
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this website this morning: http://www.ihikesandiego.com/

Searchable by difficulty with great notes.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    zoodocgirl wrote: »
    I just discovered this website this morning: http://www.ihikesandiego.com/

Searchable by difficulty with great notes.

Awesome, thank you for sharing!
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sofaking6, you could do a nice easy in-city one, such as Marian Bear, Los Penasquitos and San Clemente hikes. They're relatively flat, as short as you want them to be (they're in/outs), and easily accessible.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    kodiakke wrote: »
    Sofaking6, you could do a nice easy in-city one, such as Marian Bear, Los Penasquitos and San Clemente hikes. They're relatively flat, as short as you want them to be (they're in/outs), and easily accessible.

Oh that Marian Bear is right by my office...I should check it out for when I need to get the %$#(*%# outta here and take a break hahaha :)

• jadesdca
    jadesdca Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Torrey Pines isn't too challenging, and Sunset Cliffs. Peñasquitos canyon is also pretty flat, if you want a longer trail.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    jadesdca wrote: »

Torrey Pines isn't too challenging, and Sunset Cliffs. Peñasquitos canyon is also pretty flat, if you want a longer trail.

Yeah I really like Torrey Pines, it's not steep at all (the problems come going downhill) and of course views views views. I really should check out Sunset Cliffs!!