HELP! Shake suggestions

Options
I despise shakes. I was the awkward kid growing up that thought milk shakes were repulsive and couldn't eat the melted ice cream at the bottom of the cup. Forget about cereal, I only poured enough on it to coat each flake. You can imagine the fear settling in right now with the pre op diet 2 days away! Everything I have tried so far is chalky, creamy, BLAH. Is there not a fruit one out there that doesn't have a creamy or chalky taste?

Replies

• pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar has fruit flavors that I found easier to get down after surgery. You can get a sample pack to see what flavors you like. Good luck!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure mango peach. I think it tastes like Snapple peach iced tea. 40 grams of protein per 20 oz bottle. You can buy it at GNC. They have other flavors, too, which are okay. They look and taste a bit like Gatorade.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I agree with Syntrax Necatr. It's like koolaid.
    I get mine from nashua nutrition.com
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    What if you freeze them into popsicles?
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Isopure has been a wonderful way to get my protein. There are several different flavors try them first before buying any in bulk in case you do not like the flavor. I also like the mango peach, alpine punch, and blue raspberry.
  • stepholl
    stepholl Posts: 15
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I cant even stand the taste of isopure. i tried all of them. It is getting to the point were I would just gag everytime I took a sip. Now I am making soup and putting in the non-flavored protein to get my protein in. It is hard.
  • clcesari
    clcesari Posts: 56
    Options
    I bought the Syntrax fuzzy navel yesterday and it was awesome (well as awesome as it is going to get...)! So excited!
  • clcesari
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I bought the Syntrax in fuzzy navel yesterday- so good! Well, considering. I also bought an isopure but haven't tried it yet, they are expensive! My fiance is concerned that the Syntrax I bought is no calories. Has anyone gotten an OK to drink all no calorie drinks? I am meeting with nutritionist tomorrow so I will ask.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I bought the Syntrax in fuzzy navel yesterday- so good! Well, considering. I also bought an isopure but haven't tried it yet, they are expensive! My fiance is concerned that the Syntrax I bought is no calories. Has anyone gotten an OK to drink all no calorie drinks? I am meeting with nutritionist tomorrow so I will ask.

No calories? I got the Syntrax sample pack (with single servings of 15 different flavors) and I believe they were all 100 calories per serving. I'm pretty sure you cannot have protein without at least 4 calories per gram of protein.

Glad you found something you like/can tolerate!

Rob
  • clcesari
    Options
    ROB- Maybe he read it wrong, online it states 90 calories a serving. Either way I am stoked about finding something I can drink!!!
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way-haven't found a shake or drink I like yet! I don't care for artificial sweetner at ALL-for various reasons including taste and everything I have tried tastes so incredibly treacly fake sweet. Going to try the unflavored in some chicken broth or other soup and maybe thinning some of the shakes down with lowcarb high protein milk would help....don't know. Want to ask the nutritionist if there is a way around this for the pre and post op period that doesn't involve pseudo-food.
  • Busmom183
    Busmom183 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like Eas Advantage comes in choc. van. ansd strawberry, I've found them at wallmart and Shoprite.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do the creamy shakes for awhile after surgery, which meant they kept me an extra day in the hospital because I wasn't getting any nutrition. So talk to your doctor about this issue so they can give you something in the hospital after surgery you can handle.

Once home, protein infused chicken and beef broth (got the broth from my surgeon's office store) and the occasional bottle of Isopure zero. Yes the Isopure is sweet, but not think and creamy. I really am more of a savory person so I really did more of the broth than anything else. If you can't find a protein infused broth (liquid or powder) I also used regular low salt boullion and added Syntrax unflavored protein powder. 10 grams of protein per scoop, minimal calories and really doesn't change the flavor. It makes clear liquid slightly cloudy and may make things a little thicker, but does not change the taste. I added it to almost everything at the beginning, even the warm green tea I drank for nausea.

Good luck and again, talk this out with your doctor before surgery. They gave me Unjury in the hospital and it was so thick and sweet I just couldn't get it down. It's great stuff and I can take in small doses now, but if I had known before surgery what I was going to have to drink, I would have made my prefrences known and avoided that extra day in the hospital.

Pat
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You can also try gelatein. It is high protein, low carb jello. I had it in the hospital. Not bad if ice cold.
  • DawnHuck
    DawnHuck Posts: 5
    Options
    I LOVE the Unjury Protein Shakes! The chocolate Splendor is amazing. I mix them with milk and have one everyday. I am 3.5 months post-op. Also buy my vitamins from there too!