Difference in calorie spending between MMR & MFP

Options
m1xm0d3
m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
I have MMR app linked to MFP and after my ride to work this morning, Once updated, I noticed MFP had a high amount of calories spent for just a 27 minute ride. I checked MMR app and it showed a spend of 787 calories for 'Road Cycling' even though I am on a MTB with slicks (I chose that exercise 'type' on purpose). Classified as Bicycling 14-16 mph. But when I manually add the 27 min under the same category it comes up as 590 calories spent. Almost a 200 cal difference.

I base my food intake on MFP values since that's what I have been using for years but in order to use the MMR app linked to MFP, the only way I can think to offset the difference so the amounts are more accurate would be to lower my weight on MMR so I burn less in the same amount of time.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? And if so, what did you do to get your auto updated vs man-add spends to match?

TIA

Replies

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I also use MMR and just let it push the calorie amount over to MFP. Well, it is just easier that way too, that way I do not have to manually add an entry. As for the difference, who knows which is closer to reality? Since MMR has access to more data about your ride (climbs, speed on segments), one could hope that it is a little more sophisticated than the baseline formula that MFP uses. But odds are that is doesn't unless you use a power meter or a HRM.

Sometimes I also run Strava and the numbers from that app are close to what MMR uses. For whatever that is worth.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ive tried using 3 different apps to try and get an accurate reading. I'll use strava, MFP and runkeeper. I've found that strava is the lowest, MFP in the middle and runkeeper gives me the highest burn. I always go with the lowest as to try to not to overestimate calories!
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    I lowered my weight on MMR by 15 lbs in hopes it will reduce my cal spend to closer match the MFP amounts. I've been using MFP amounts for a few years and it's worked fine so far. I'll check the differences today after my ride home.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Meh... even after adjusting the weight on my profile on MMR, the totals are just too far off so I disconnected the app link and will just man-add again.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I just use the calorie counts from my Garmin (910xt). All the apps seem to over estimate calorie burn for me.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just use the calorie counts from my Garmin (910xt). All the apps seem to over estimate calorie burn for me.

+1 to this!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've found that my Garmins (310XT and Edge 500) are the most optimistic, MFP less so.

If you use an HRM then the Garmin numbers come down significantly and are much closer to reality. The best move I made was going to a power meter (PowerTap G3). This seems to give the most accurate burn rate and is really an excellent training tool as well.