Halp!

Options
Taraanne76
Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
I've been doing SL for 6 weeks, love it so much!! Having said that I'm not losing body fat and have gained a few inches. What does everyone eat that is also needing to lose weight?

I've been doing keto diet for 6 months but am starting to realize it isn't working for me in weight loss terms. I love it and the control over my eating that I've never had but I'm sick and tired of being obese. I've been eating 1700 cals and some are saying that's not enough but some days I don't eat all of them bc I feel full.

Idk what to do anymore, I feel desperate and like weight loss is just impossible :/

TIA for any help anyone can give.

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I dunno if I can really be of any help, but in just quickly looking at your diary, your protein intake looks really low. When losing weight and lifting, you need enough protein to help preserve your muscle mass; your body will burn that first over fat because it's easier to do so. And yes, 1,700 seems low, too, but that's relative in comparison to me personally. If I ate 1,700 per day I'd be at a 1,000+ calorie deficit and for me that's too much. How tall are you? What do you currently weigh? How much are you exercising?

Your diary shows "bpc" for breakfast - is this breastfeeding-related? If so, then please ignore everything I typed because I have zero knowledge or experience with that... or babies in general... sorry! :wink: Hopefully someone else can chime in!
  • Taraanne76
    Options
    Thanks for your response! The premise of the keto diet is high fat, moderate protein and low carb. The moderate protein in bc excess gets converted to glucose. Like I said I really love the way I feel on keto but have to be realistic that after 6 months I've only lost 16 lbs. When you have a lot to lose it's not that impressive. At this point I do feel like I'm looking bigger since beginning lifting. I'm adding cardio back in bc my body needs it to shed fat I guess.

Bpc stands for bullet proof coffee :)
  • Taraanne76
    Options
    Forgot to add I'm 5'2 and 210 lbs. I do SL on MWF. Started back spin class on Tue/Thur this week
  • katro111
    Options
    Re: the bpc - ohhhhhh! I saw your profile pic and assumed because of the newborn... Oops.

The increase in inches, weight, etc. I'm 99% sure it's just water retention. If you work hard, your body holds onto water to repair your muscles. Sometimes it can hold onto that water for a while, then out of nowhere, you'll get the "whoosh" and it will go away and you'll be able to see your results a little more clearly. Then you'll lift again, retain water again and lather, rinse, repeat. This is precisely why I weigh myself daily then plot it on a graph and track the overall trend.

I plugged your stats into Scooby and 1,700 cals might be too low for lifting. It makes you hungry! You could still lose about 1lb per week eating at 1,900 cals per day (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/). Or you could stagger it and eat more on lifting days and a little less on rest days. 16lbs is nothing to shove under the rug - that's awesome! Just because you aren't losing tons of weight super fast doesn't mean what you're doing isn't working. It's just working slowly. That might be better for you in the long run anyway because the quicker most people lose weight, the less likely they are to stick to the lifestyle change and then the weight comes back on... with a vengeance!

Have you tested your BF% using a hand-held monitor or other method? As long as you are burning more calories than you consume, you will lose fat (neither cardio nor lifting are the magic solutions to fat loss).

ETA: If you're coming in short on your daily calorie goal, eat more nutrient-dense foods like full-fat dairy, nuts, avocado, peanut butter, etc. Lots of calories packed into small a serving.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Keto/low carb diets because they only work short term. The "quick" weight loss everyone experiences is from water loss, glycogen loss (your MUSCLES main energy source) and lean tissue. That said, I'm not a fan of depriving my muscles and BRAIN of their main energy source (Carbs).

I went on a cut in January and lost 10 lbs eating at a deficit and keeping my macros at 45% carbs/30% protein/25% fats. So I'm eating about 8-10x more Carbs than you and losing weight. Proof that it's not carbs that make you gain weight, it's your overage of calories. Also, I disagree that your calories are too low. I would suggest you cut your calories by 100-200 and set your macros at 40% carbs/30% protein/30 fat and see how that works for you. You will probably gain some water weight at first but stick with it and see how it goes.
  • katro111
    Options
    ^^^ I would listen to Leadfoot's advice over mine any day! :smile:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I would listen to Leadfoot's advice over mine any day! :smile:

Wow! That's a very nice thing to say - thank you! :smile:
  • Taraanne76
    Options
    I know from weight loss in the past I only lose on low everything diets so less calories makes sense. The main reason I love keto is bc I have no sugar cravings that were hard to control before and often led to over indulging. I do love the energy ketosis gives me too :) I am nervous to add carbs back in but I have to accept that this plan isn't getting me where I want to be. 16 lbs isn't terrible, until you put it in perspective that I had 75 at least to lose to begin with.
  • Becksga
    Becksga Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Funny….our lifestyles match! I am also keto, I do SL 3x a week and spin 2x.

I started keto in May when I found out that I have a major grain intolerance……..all these years I just thought everyone felt like poo all the time. Keto helped with those stomach issues, energy, being hangry all the time. I love it and don’t foresee changing my WOE. That being said, I haven’t lost much weight either but I am down a couple of sizes. IMO, the most important thing about choosing a healthy diet is that it has to one that YOU enjoy and that you can sustain. It isn’t a “diet” as in what you do to lose weight, it’s a diet as in how you fuel your body.

When I’m discouraged, I look at myself in the mirror naked and find the little bits here and there that have changed due to lifting….…. And look at progress pics (I’m obsessed with taking these…. I have butt pictures of SL W/O 1, SL W/O 2, SL W/O 3, etc….. very cool to see how that booty has lifted and became round).

There are days, even weeks, when we all get discouraged. Be patient.

PS: if you decide to stay keto, there are some very helpful pages on FB. Also, I am in love with BPC.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Keto/low carb diets because they only work short term. The "quick" weight loss everyone experiences is from water loss, glycogen loss (your MUSCLES main energy source) and lean tissue. That said, I'm not a fan of depriving my muscles and BRAIN of their main energy source (Carbs).

I went on a cut in January and lost 10 lbs eating at a deficit and keeping my macros at 45% carbs/30% protein/25% fats. So I'm eating about 8-10x more Carbs than you and losing weight. Proof that it's not carbs that make you gain weight, it's your overage of calories. Also, I disagree that your calories are too low. I would suggest you cut your calories by 100-200 and set your macros at 40% carbs/30% protein/30 fat and see how that works for you. You will probably gain some water weight at first but stick with it and see how it goes.

THis...those were my macros on my cut as well...

Since hitting maitenance they are 50/25/25...carbs are good for lifting...since increasing mine and actually getting them in I have found my lifts have improved imho significantlly.