Any successes, victories, etc. lately?

Options
kristinegift
kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
Hi all!

I know it's summer, and it's hot, and we're all in the midst of some hardcore training. I also know it's easy to get bogged down by the little things (or sometimes big things) that might go wrong in the high temps, dense humidity, etc. Anyone have some "non-scale victories" to report? Or some milestones, realizations, or even non-running successes?

Mine: I cut a 16 mile training long run to 13.1 yesterday and felt sort of wimpy, until I realized today that I ran a half-marathon yesterday and I'm not even sore. When I ran half-marathons in 2008-2009 and in 2012, I would be hobbled the day after a half-marathon, and now it's no big deal. Crazy! :D

So share some successes with the group! Remind us why summer training is worth the misery! ;)

Replies

• jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Isn't that like the coolest thing ever? Feeling "wimpy" after running 13.1 miles then realizing that it is a HALF MARATHON!!!! Not that I have had that particular feeling yet, but I ran a 13.1 mile training run a couple weekends ago and I had to stop and remind myself a couple times "you just ran a HALF MARATHON!!" Not everyone can do that!
    My little victory would be a couple things:
    First, I took most of last week off to get some shin splints on the mend and it worked and I didn't feel like I was giving up or quitting or being lazy or anything- I just realized and listened to and honored my body by giving it what it was asking for! Plus, my shins feel awesome after a couple days off.
    Second, I tackled some hills this week. Last night I bit the bullet and started hill training (which was made possible by #3- which we will get to in a minute). I "ran" (by "ran" I mean, jogged a little, walked a lot, jogged a little) up 1,400 feet in 2.2 miles and down 1,400 feet in 2.2 miles. My *kitten* is killing me today but I'm so happy I conquered my fear and decided to start running hills!
    Third, I quit smoking 2 weeks ago :)

All in all, I'm feeling really positive and excited for my first official half on July 27th and my marathon on September 20th. I totally feel like a badass.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My success/victory is pretty minor, and I didn't even realize at the time. When I first started running I could not run on consecutive days. I thought I needed a day of rest in between. Over the last few months I have been running 2 or 3 days in a row. Last week I did 3 runs in 36 hours and never thought about it! I did a 4 mile run on hilly gravel roads on Wednesday night, Thursday morning I was at the track for speedwork and Friday morning was a 6 mile trail run with my husband. My legs were tired Saturday morning so I didn't go for a run but I did 3 hours of landscaping before going to the beach :)
  • kristinegift
    Options
    My little victory would be a couple things:
    First, I took most of last week off to get some shin splints on the mend and it worked and I didn't feel like I was giving up or quitting or being lazy or anything- I just realized and listened to and honored my body by giving it what it was asking for! Plus, my shins feel awesome after a couple days off.
    Second, I tackled some hills this week. Last night I bit the bullet and started hill training (which was made possible by #3- which we will get to in a minute). I "ran" (by "ran" I mean, jogged a little, walked a lot, jogged a little) up 1,400 feet in 2.2 miles and down 1,400 feet in 2.2 miles. My *kitten* is killing me today but I'm so happy I conquered my fear and decided to start running hills!
    Third, I quit smoking 2 weeks ago :)
    Those are all great! I am trying to start tackling hills, but the paaaaaain ;) And congrats on quitting smoking! It's a big step, but it will help your running so, so, so much! :D

My success/victory is pretty minor, and I didn't even realize at the time. When I first started running I could not run on consecutive days. I thought I needed a day of rest in between. Over the last few months I have been running 2 or 3 days in a row. Last week I did 3 runs in 36 hours and never thought about it! I did a 4 mile run on hilly gravel roads on Wednesday night, Thursday morning I was at the track for speedwork and Friday morning was a 6 mile trail run with my husband. My legs were tired Saturday morning so I didn't go for a run but I did 3 hours of landscaping before going to the beach :)
    That's awesome! I wouldn't call that minor! It's not something people necessarily mark as a goal on the calendar, but it's a big accomplishment. :D
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm a relatively new runner (started last Apr/May weighing around 300lbs but have been increasing my distance and did my first HM a couple of weeks ago.). I got talked into entering a 7 mile race by a couple fo running club mates who didn't tell me until I was at the start line that the first 3miles were literally all up hill (around 1100ft climb) but then it was "all down hill after that" (like that makes up for 3 miles of climbing LOL). By this time I couldn't back out but I ran it, I ran it all not stopping once and even passed people on the uphills and stayed in front of some of them. I averaged 11 min/ mile pace as well! A huge buzz and massive confidence boost before my next HM in a couple of weeks :)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about starting a blog about running, 4 kids, school, etc...focusing on how running makes time for life. Well, I finally got it started! My husband and I are working on it together, we are purchasing the domain today. I have 4 posts written and hope to do a couple more by the end of the week.

Last week I ran my first day with a double. I plan to do it every tuesday.
  • layne_mat
    layne_mat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did a 27k training run this past Sunday, which was the longest I have ever ran, and I actually feel like doing my scheduled run two days later! I'm not too sore or too tired. This feels better than actually covering the distance!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I know the distance isn't that long (I'm starting half training next week, my first) but today I did 3 miles in just under 27 mins! In hot and humidity!! I was excited!!!!! That's my fastest 3 miles yet! :bigsmile:

I also did almost 100 miles last month, another first!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I got nothing. It's been a while since I have had any successes that have been described above. That being said, I love reading about all these. It takes me back to those very same spots, where each long run during a marathon training cycle was a new distance PR. Where you finish a run and felt like there was nothing too it, yet 6 months prior it was a beast to finish. It's these types of things that keep the spirit alive for me. Thanks for sharing these.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just fought through the 9 weeks of suck that are involved with getting conditioned to an Atlanta summer and I'm still running!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    This past Saturday I ran 18 miles in 3:00:59. That is my longest run so far and that was the second time I did it.
    2 Saturdays ago, (the first time I ran this distance) I did it in 3:10:16.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Successfully overcame my fear and hatred of the marathon distance. I ran my first one last Sep and wasn't prepared adequately and had a performance that reflected it. I regrouped and built up my mileage base over the next 9 months and ran a very successful 50K last month (finished and functional), and still hit my monthly mileage goal despite 25% of the month being rest days.

Also, this month I will surpass my total mileage of 2013 (1,010 miles).
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I did a training run today that was 45 mins alternating between 5 mins at marathon pace and 5 minutes at half marathon pace... and somewhere in there I broke my 10k PR (that I worked really hard for 10 months ago) without even trying. :happy:

Am now thinking I need to actually do a 10k race some time soon.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Every 5k I have ran this summer I PR'ed! First one was 27:26 in June, next one was 26:31 at the end of June and then I did a 5k on 4th of July and did it 26:00.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This is not ''new, new'' but May 25th I ran my first marathon, 12 months after completing C25K. Not only did I had the best first marathon experience anyone could hope for, but I ran a respectable (in my newbie opinion) 3:49. That was on 30mpw average for that training cycle.

After struggling for the last couple of weeks with what I think was post marathon depression, I'm feeling better now. I also realized that I'm nowhere near my marathon full potential and I'm very excited to see what the next few years has in store for me with a better running base and higher mileage :)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Not a success or victory necessarily but I crewed my first 100 miler at Western States a week ago. Extra special bonus because the entire crew ran with our runner on the Placer High School track with his pacer and coach, 14 time Western States winner Ann Trason.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    I'm loving all these victories! All these successes and PRs are getting me jazzed for my run in the morning :D
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I got nothing. It's been a while since I have had any successes that have been described above. That being said, I love reading about all these. It takes me back to those very same spots, where each long run during a marathon training cycle was a new distance PR. Where you finish a run and felt like there was nothing too it, yet 6 months prior it was a beast to finish. It's these types of things that keep the spirit alive for me. Thanks for sharing these.

Thanks for this too. When you're new and every run has the potential to be the best ever, it really helps to see a longer term perspective.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have nothing concrete to add, but this time three months ago I was hobbling around in a boot due to bone degeneration in my foot and struggling to maintain my weight and get adequate nutrition while in the midst of a nasty Crohns flare. I was convinced that my distance running days were over and that I would never run another marathon. I was totally depressed. Fast forward three months and I am close to remission with the Crohns, have gained back 5 of the 10 lbs I lost and have managed to get my running base back up to 25 miles per week, just shy of my 30 mpw goal. I am feeling pretty good about where I am and am confident that I will be able to begin marathon training again soon. To me, it's a pretty big victory.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have nothing concrete to add, but this time three months ago I was hobbling around in a boot due to bone degeneration in my foot and struggling to maintain my weight and get adequate nutrition while in the midst of a nasty Crohns flare. I was convinced that my distance running days were over and that I would never run another marathon. I was totally depressed. Fast forward three months and I am close to remission with the Crohns, have gained back 5 of the 10 lbs I lost and have managed to get my running base back up to 25 miles per week, just shy of my 30 mpw goal. I am feeling pretty good about where I am and am confident that I will be able to begin marathon training again soon. To me, it's a pretty big victory.

Thats a brilliant victory, am so pleased for you.

My story is very small in comparison - my father got very ill very quickly about 10 days ago, it was touch and go with him, he is doing ok now. So things were a bit hectic I still more or less managed to stay on track ( I was on my long run the night he got sick).
    So my long run for last weekend was 16 miles which was the furthest every for me...between hospital visits and running round after the family it was nearly 9pm before I had a second to myself. As my hubby was getting comfy on the sofa watching a movie I was pulling on my trainers. The first three miles were tough and then after that not a bother! as it got dark I ran past pubs that had security outside, heard lots of football games, and completed my first ever 16 miles in about 2 and a half hours.

I was chuffed to bits with it. So on track this weekend long run will hopefully inch up the miles again.

Great thread , thanks!

valentine
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    This is not ''new, new'' but May 25th I ran my first marathon, 12 months after completing C25K. Not only did I had the best first marathon experience anyone could hope for, but I ran a respectable (in my newbie opinion) 3:49. That was on 30mpw average for that training cycle.

After struggling for the last couple of weeks with what I think was post marathon depression, I'm feeling better now. I also realized that I'm nowhere near my marathon full potential and I'm very excited to see what the next few years has in store for me with a better running base and higher mileage :)

That is an incredible marathon time for someone who's only been running for 12 months!