Mixed terrain race: shoes

Options
jessspurr
jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
What do you all do if you have a race that is part serious trail and part pavement? Trail shoes for the whole thing and suffer the inefficiency on the road or vice versa?

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't actually race, but you would have to look at how much of each there is, and how 'serious' the trail stuff is. If it's hard packed firebreaks/trails road shoes are probably the better option. If it's road to serious single track uneven trail with ups and downs, then maybe trail.
    Best thing is find someone or a few people who have raced the course before and get their opinion.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I got blisters and sore feet from wearing trail shoes on the road parts of a long race, so halfway through I wore my road trainers and did much better. I guess it depends on what kind of trail shoes you're talking about and how structured they are.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Depends on how technical the trails are, and more importantly, how muddy. I love my hoka Stinson tarmacs for groomed singletrack, fire roads, and pavement, but they are horrific in mud. Usually I will wear the Stinson trails if it is at all muddy or if the trail is technical, even if I have to cross a bit of pavement. In August I will be running a 100 miler with road, towpath, fire roads, and single track. On certain years there has been awful mud. I plan to change shoes based on conditions, particularly if it's muddy....
  • jessspurr
    Options
    The trail sections are very technical. It's a "only" a marathon so I'm not sure it would be worth changing shoes, but perhaps it is. I think that is what I'm trying to figure out. I'm leaning towards wearing trail shoes for the whole thing since I think it is more trail than road.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I agree with tailiesyn; ask others who have run the race for their suggestions.....and then run!!!! :)
  • jessspurr
    Options
    I know ONE person that has completed the race and I have a text out to them but haven't heard back yet! I will take their advice to heart for sure but thought some of you all might be able to share some experiences if you've had any. The race website is also somewhat lacking.
  • sarahc001
    Options
    I wouldn't change shoes for a marathon. How much trail and how much road? The hoka Stinson trail are fine on road, just not as cushy as the tarmac version. Last friday I did 22 and most was on trail but about 4mi was road. I wore the trail shoes. I highly recommend hokas, though, for any distance over 20mi. I wore my trails out of the box (breaking them in) on the 22mi run, no hotspots and legs felt great when I was done.
  • sarahc001
    Options
    Oh, and running warehouse has the Stinson (trail and tarmac) on sale, with free 2 day shipping and an additional 10% off with code runblog10. They also have a great return policy of they don't work out.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use my trail shoes for road running when necessary. I bought both the road and trail versions of my shoe, and after a year of using both on both types of terrain, I find that the trail shoe does just about as well (or not noticeably worse) on pavement and streets as my road shoe, but my road shoe is not as good on the trail. So, I use my trail shoes for mixed terrain. I'll use my road shoes for an entirely paved run though especially if it's longer than a 10K. I'll be running a half on only road, so I'll be using them for that. It makes no sense to wear my trail shoes for that.

Even though I haven't run a marathon yet, I can't imagine changing shoes for it. I'd probably just find a shoe that could work well for both terrains.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    I think all of your replies have helped me narrow my question down.
    Which is more important- Is it more important to have trail shoes for trails or road shoes for roads?
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think all of your replies have helped me narrow my question down.
    Which is more important- Is it more important to have trail shoes for trails or road shoes for roads?

My personal opinion (as someone who isn't super experienced FYI, but regularly runs both, so I am not exactly an authority on this LOL)... I think it's more important to have trail shoes for tails than road shoes for roads. Roads are just easier to run because you don't have those uneven surfaces and rocks etc, and you can make do with a trail shoe on a road, but a road shoe on a trail just doesn't work nearly as well. Not for me anyway!