Long distances and blood sugar issues

Options
kaleidoscope79
kaleidoscope79 Posts: 15 Member
I am not a diabetic, but I do struggle with regulating my blood sugar when on long runs. (I have issues outside of running too, of course, but I am able to regulate it with a good diet and exercise).

I have tried sports beans, gu, gatorade, etc on runs and they all launch my blood sugar through the sky. I can take one sport bean occasionally through a run but that is it. This, however, does not give me what I need to complete a longer run (~10 or more miles).

I’m going to duck and cover when saying this, because it seems to be contradictory of most advice out there. Lately I’ve been bringing a protein drink with me on my long runs and start drinking it about a third of the way in (I probably finish it a little over half way through). It is the only thing I’ve tried that has given me what I need to make it through long run and doesn’t send me into a sugar coma.

I’ve had success with eating a burrito (chipotle) the night before a long run or race and part of a burrito the morning of (an hour or so before) and a protein shake.

Anyone out there run long distances and struggle with their blood sugar? What do you do for food the night before a race, the morning of a race, and during a race?

Could I benefit from doing something differently?

I am not able to run fasted either, regardless of distance. I’ve tried grabbing a banana, yogurt, etc and all send my blood sugar out of whack during a run. My biggest concern, however, is longer distances.

Replies

• SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Are you actually measuring your blood sugar during your run? I'm impressed!
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Maybe coconut oil or MCT oil? My understanding is that it gets used as energy pretty immediately (compared to other fats that take longer to digest).
  • kaleidoscope79
    kaleidoscope79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe coconut oil or MCT oil? My understanding is that it gets used as energy pretty immediately (compared to other fats that take longer to digest).
    Thanks! I'll try that!
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello, I know I'm a late on replying to this topic but I just came across it. I also have my blood sugar issues during running long distances. My blood sugar drops around 5-6 miles. I'm currently training for my first half marathon and trying to figure out I'm going to fuel for 13.1 miles without passing out. I currently eat sport beans on my long runs which are 5-6 miles. I'm going to start trying different things as I increase my mileage. I just don't want to be 8+ miles from home and my blood sugar drops and need medical assistance. Its good to know I'm not the only person who deals with issues like this.