Weight lifting and calories

Options
gigold
gigold Posts: 1 Member
Hi ladies,

For those of you who lift how do you find the right amount of calories to eat? I started taking my training seriously a few months ago and have hit some major benchmarks since then (going to hit 200lbs for my deadlift soon!!!) but I kept my old eating habits. When I told my trainer I was eating about 1200 calories a day (including days I lift) he was a little horrified. MFP has me at 1210 calories but I everything I read says that it should be closer to 1900/2000.

Basically I have no clue what I'm doing food wise and I feel like it's slowing my progress. Advice?

Thanks!

- Gi

Replies

• jpdanh
    jpdanh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey there - that's awesome about your deadlift. Grats!

First off, what's your goal? If you're training to get stronger, then you should be eating more. If you're trying to lose weight (cut fat and maintain/build a little muscle), 1200 is not bad.

Most of us here are eating around 1200, myself included. I'm on a cut, but I lift. I'm not too worried that my numbers are starting to stall, because my goal is not to necessarily increase strength right now.

So I would say, just figure out what your goal is and eat accordingly.
  • MetalTes
    MetalTes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Me too, I'm at about 1200. I've read the same, that we should be eating a ton more on lifting days, so I just make sure any cheat days land on lifting days and that takes care of that! LOL! Seriously, for example, if I know we're going over to the in-laws' on thursday, I'll move my friday lifting to thursday that week, because I KNOW it's going to be a delicious carb-fest over there! Other than that, I just make sure I eat my carbs on lifting days and don't really worry about trying to eat more calories.
  • changsofa
    changsofa Posts: 37
    Options
    Congrats for hitting the 200lbs soon!

Along with the other comments, I think it depends of what your goals are. I'm trying to lose weight (or lose fat, according to http://stronglifts.com/weight-loss-vs-fat-loss-are-you-sure-you’re-losing-fat/ :), so I eat 1200 cals and do some cardio right after the recommended lifting ( 3 times a week). I've been doing this for about a month now, and I occasionally hike/run with a friend once a week or so. The days that I work out, I feel less bad about eating near 1300cals. I'm already pretty muscular before I started, so I think it will take a while before that 'last 10 lbs' actually sheds.

Hope this helps!