Eggplant

Options
SilverStormi
SilverStormi Posts: 626 Member
I absolutely love eggplant and so does my husband. With so many different varieties out there (classic, white, sicilian & baby to name a few) now that the season is starting I’m in heaven. Right now I've been on a white eggplant kick. Just slicing it and baking with a little fresh mozzarella then topping it with fresh basil and balsamic. <3

Anyway with the start of eggplant season right around the corner I was wondering what’s everyone's favorite type and way to prepare eggplant? I’m always looking for new healthy ways to cook with it. If it was up to him all I would do is bread it and fry it which I'm trying to stay away from.

Replies

• abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    That sounds amazing. I'm going to have to try that. I really like this recipe:

otal Time: 1 hour 3 min.
    Prep Time: 10 min.
    Cooking Time: 8 min.
    Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
    1 medium eggplant, sliced into ½-inch rounds, cut into ¾-inch strips (about 1½ lbs.)
    ¼ tsp. sea salt
    1 Tbsp. sesame oil
    1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    ¼ tsp. chili oil
    ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
    2 green onions, thinly sliced

Preparation:
    1. Combine eggplant and salt in a medium bowl; toss gently to blend. Let eggplant rest for 30 to 45 minutes.
    2. While eggplant rests, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, chili oil, and red pepper in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
    3. Preheat broiler on high.
    4. Brush eggplant slices with oil mixture.
    5. Place eggplant on baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake, for 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until golden.
    6. Garnish with green onions; serve immediately.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/recipe/-/rcp/353932060/all/1/5/eggplant
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely keep an eye on this post. I've tried eggplant before - it was like eating a dirty sponge (it was the big classic dark purple eggplant). I can't remember how I prepared it, but I followed what ever the directions were in the recipe I found for vegan lasagna. It was SO bad I tossed it and made a new one without.

People seem to like this veggie so I'm giving it another go. I've got a Rosa Bianca eggplant just starting to flower in the garden. I figured maybe its like tomatoes - homegrown makes a world of difference? I have never liked tomatoes, but homegrown are not bad at all.
  • 2Chaotic
    2Chaotic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not a huge eggplant fan either but I'm willing to give it a try. That recipe looks interesting and I may just give it a try later in the week. Tonight, however, I'm going to give the baked cauliflower recipe a shot.
  • SilverStormi
    Options
    Eggplant can be very tasty. Usually if I am using the classic purple kind I always remove the skin. I find it makes it bitter.

I have a great recipe a friend gave me to make an eggplant stuffing. Its also a great basic starting point and can be tweaked easily to your liking. In all honesty when I make it I have never measured anything I put into it but the butter and just eyed the amounts. Just taste as you go... there is nothing in here to worry about not being cooked properly that you shouldn't be eating. I just go off the thought process of I know what stuffing should look like and added accordingly to get the taste I want.

Ingredients
    1 eggplant
    2 tsp salt
    1 small onion, chopped
    1/4 cup butter, cubed
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup seasoned italian style bread crumbs
    1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (optional)
    1 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh italian seasonings (mix of parsley, oregano and basil)
    Dash pepper
    3/4 cup parmesan cheese

Directions

Peel eggplant and chop pulp into small cubes. Place in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for 30 minutes if colander isnt sitting in the sink then put a plate under it. Blot moisture with a paper towel.

In a skillet, saute eggplant and onion in butter and oil until tender. When the eggplant and onion looks almost done add the mushroom. Once everything is tender then mix in bread crumbs, parmesan, herbs and pepper.

Place in a lightly greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until stuffing reaches the texture your looking for (whether you like a more moist or dry stuffing is up to you and time depends on the shape and size of your baking dish. My dish I usually use is one of my oval stone bakeware)
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    @SilverStormi might be the perfect person to ask this question... Or anyone else who knows about eggplant :)

Two years ago we grew some eggplant in our garden, classic purple I guess, and it tasted great. Had kind of a smoky-chipotle kind of flavor that went very well in several dishes.

Last year we planted them again and they tasted like an old ashtray. Not sure what went wrong but they were horrible. Maybe we let them get too big or something, I don't know. Do the different varieties of eggplant have radically different flavors or are there just subtle flavor or texture differences? Is there a right way and a wrong way to pick one out in the store?
  • SilverStormi
    Options
    Two years ago we grew some eggplant in our garden, classic purple I guess, and it tasted great. Had kind of a smoky-chipotle kind of flavor that went very well in several dishes.

Last year we planted them again and they tasted like an old ashtray. Not sure what went wrong but they were horrible. Maybe we let them get too big or something, I don't know. Do the different varieties of eggplant have radically different flavors or are there just subtle flavor or texture differences? Is there a right way and a wrong way to pick one out in the store?

Im not sure about that. I know that if I cook eggplant of the grill it gets that smokey taste but Im not sure what ones you grew that might have a natual smokey chipotle flavor. If anyone does I would love to know to try them. :)

As for the flavors it will varry depending on the variety. Mostly the more seeds it has in it and thicker skinned ones makes an eggplant more bitter. Which is why I peel classic american eggplants but never white. White also has very few seeds in it giving it a lite mild taste.

To me someone saying "I dont like eggplant" becuase they dont like the taste of a classic purple american eggplant is the same as someone saying "I dont like apples" just becuase they dont like the taste of a granny smith.

I have some friends that dont like eggplant that I have gotten to eat white eggplant without knowing they were trying an eggplant dish. They then tell me that its really good and then ask what it is. They're shocked when they find out its eggplant since they 'dont like eggplant.' A few still didnt love it but they didnt hate it either which I take as a plus. When in reality most of the time I find they really just dont natual bitter taste of the classic eggplant they are familiar with. Which 9 times out of 10 is what is used.

This link has a useful basic break down of some of the different types and difference in flavors.
    http://www.foodsubs.com/Eggplants.html

When it comes to picking them out (across the board) I usually look for a nice firm shiny eggplants with no breaks in the skin. They have a short shelf life so I buy them no more then a day or so before I plan on using them.
    People seem to like this veggie so I'm giving it another go. I've got a Rosa Bianca eggplant just starting to flower in the garden. I figured maybe its like tomatoes - homegrown makes a world of difference? I have never liked tomatoes, but homegrown are not bad at all
    Home grown tomatos are the best. From what I have heard and read a lot of times the ones in the stores are picked still green and not quite rip which is why they have no real flavor to them. They are gassed with methane to get them to turn red. My husband use to hate tomatos until he had some fresh ones from our garden. Now he only likes homegrown ones. I think I have 17 tomato plants right now in like 6 or 7 different varieties growing in our garden.

Hopefully you like your rosa biancas they have a nice sweet mild flavor comared to a classic purple.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Im not sure about that. I know that if I cook eggplant of the grill it gets that smokey taste but Im not sure what ones you grew that might have a natual smokey chipotle flavor. If anyone does I would love to know to try them. :)

I wish I knew what it was... My wife picked up the start at a local nursery and doesn't remember what it was. It definately was not what we grew last year.

It's a bit late to get a plant going this year but we have some really good farmers markets nearby so I'm going work my way through the eggplant family and see which ones the family likes.

Thanks for the great post, that is some really helpful information you put up there for us.
  • jolybac
    Options
    Home grown tomatos are the best. From what I have heard and read a lot of times the ones in the stores are picked still green and not quite rip which is why they have no real flavor to them. They are gassed with methane to get them to turn red. My husband use to hate tomatos until he had some fresh ones from our garden. Now he only likes homegrown ones. I think I have 17 tomato plants right now in like 6 or 7 different varieties growing in our garden.

Hopefully you like your rosa biancas they have a nice sweet mild flavor comared to a classic purple.

Last year I had my first homegrown tomato. I thought it was just okay. This year I actually find myself WANTING to eat one. HUGE step for me :) I've been a 'mater hater all my life (store bought that is - I just never knew!). I had a huge garden planned this year but life got in the way. We only have 11 tomato plants going (6 varieties).

Any tips on preparing a rosa bianca specifically? Grilling sounds good. I'm thinking of grilling it like I do asparagus (with a little olive oil & seasonings).
  • SilverStormi
    Options
    Grilling eggplant is always a good way to cook them. I just looked through my pins and I have this saved. Havent tried it yet but it sounds delicious

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/recipes/pasta-with-rosa-bianca-eggplant-and-heirloom-cherry-tomatoes/article_675fbb3e-c6fd-5707-8f88-04a40d82e705.html
  • jolybac
    Options
    Ooh, thank you! That looks good! I think I'll try it with spaghetti squash.