What to do during "rest"?

Options
I started SL5x5 two weeks ago and love it so far! But was curious to what you ladies think/do during the 1:30min-3min rest time.

I tend to get bored sitting around, so I do some extra exercises including stretches, lunges, squats (without weights), planks, or sometimes a few aerobic exercises like high kicks...

What do you do?

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I rest. Lol. :)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I catch my breath then do a set of push-ups before I start my next set.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    In the first 2 weeks I got bored in the 1:30 minutes. Now I am in week 6 and the 3 min seem to fly away as I catch my breath and try to get ready.
    My BF who is also doing stronglifts usually reads 9gag in the rest time
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like I need the full 1.5 minutes, I just start the next set.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I pace/walk around. Active rest. :)
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I workout at home so i fold laundry.
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There's as small indoor track adjacent to my weight room, after sets at my work weight I usually take a lap and then walk in to directly do my next set....
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    most of my workouts these days consist of every minute on the minute work, so I get very little rest. between those though I pace around, catch my breath and stretch out the kinks. Or I,ve really taken a liking to hanging from the rings for a few seconds. If you can do bodyweight stuff in between sets I'm not sure you have any business resting this long! Just sayin' xP It's normal just starting out to not need as much recovery, though. If you feel ready to hit it again, by all means :)
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I count the seconds in my head, go get a drink of water, watch other gym goers, etc.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Between squats: bodyweight calf raises.
    Between deadlifts: either stretching, wandering, or a balance exercise from my physical therapist.
    Between bench: sit there and stretch my hips
    Between OHP and row: wander in circles, stretch my arms
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Stretch. Eyeball myself in the mirror. Look out the window. I don't mind being bored for a minute.

I wouldn't mind walking but there's only the one rack and the vultures circle if you look like you're packing it in.
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    I used to get bored too but now I just keep listening to whatever I was listening. Usually a podcast or music or both at once. (Sometimes when I'm listening to my favorite ones though, I laugh, and that can really screw you up at the bottom of the lift =P)
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I workout at home so i fold laundry.

Me, too! LOL!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Check out *kitten* in the mirror, check my own *kitten* out in the mirror, punch the speed bag, kick a heavy bag, then check my guns out in the mirror. Then do my next set.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Usually I stretch or do a different exercise. Pushups, maybe some planks, dragon flags if I'm resting between bench press...
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It bores me too. I stretch, kinda shuffle around and wait impatiently.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I don't get bored resting, and I don't rest for any particular period of time. I usually wait till my heart rate returns to normal and I feel like I can do another set. After squats it feels good to walk some.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, and people watch. And usually text the friend that's at the gym with me to complain about how much we hate OHP / how much those squats hurt, etc. lol. The two squat racks are on opposite ends of the gym.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I walk, or at least pace around. I find it helps my soreness/stiffness. I've learned what NOT to do, which is exercise in between sets, I've tried doing ab work in between then I found out how much you actually use your abs for those big lifts, lol. whoops!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to do my deep breathing exercises and center my brain. I work out first thing, so it's a nice start to my day.