Check In

Options
abs0830
abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
How's everyone doing with nutrition?

I drink shakes daily (all ingredients I can read and know the name of).
So I had my shake for breakfast with 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
Blueberries for my morning snack
Lunch: Spinach leaves, tomato, onion, cucumber and lemon juice-squeezed from the lemon

Replies

• shojomecha
    shojomecha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lemme know how clean this is so far :)

Breakfast: a shake made of blueberries, half a banana, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 3 TBS nonfat plain Greek yogurt, and ice cubes
    (and a cup of coffee with evaporated milk and 1 tsp brown sugar... I know this is a cheat, but I can't give up my coffee! :) haha!)

Lunch: 1 serving of roasted cauliflower, carrots, and zuccini (they were leftovers), and 1 serving of a salad I made with: sliced black cherry tomatoes, chopped red onions, organic romaine lettuce, chopped carrots, canned light albacore tuna, and 1 TBS of homemade honey-lemon juice dressing
  • abs0830
    Options
    Shojomecha-That's pretty clean! I've never black cherry tomatoes--what do they taste like?
  • sunsoakeddreamer
    sunsoakeddreamer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    pretty good so far I think-
    breakfast- 2 slices whole wheat toast, one whole egg, cup of black tea (because I accidently grabbed black instead of green, maybe I needed the caffeine!)
    10 am- organic low fat flavored yogurt - not squeaky clean but an improvement for me
    lunch- got take out, a rarity! Had a yummy salad with mixed greens, grilled chicken, feta, dried cranberries, mandarin oranges, avocado, cucumber, and the teeniest bit of their home made dressing. I did eat the pita bread, and a couple of my friends sweet potato fries. I had a ton of chicken, feta, and cranberries left over, I'll probably top another salad with them for lunch or dinner tomorrow.
  • Ilgamuth
    Ilgamuth Posts: 17
    Options
    You hit a pet peeve of mine. Your ability to read the name of an ingredient or that you know what it is does not mean it is healthy or unhealthy.

19cthsq3h02qrpng.png

Do you know what everything on this list is, or how to pronounce them?
  • ShalaraQ
    ShalaraQ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think the pronounce ingredient thing is just meant to be a helpful guideline. If a product has bananas in it, they only have to put "banana" on the label; they don't have to break it down into its component parts. It stands to reason that any chemical compounds in the food is required to be on the label because it's added as a chemical compound, not as a natural part of food. If it has those ingredients added, it's not "clean". It may not be "unhealthy", but added ingredients = processing, which isn't "clean".
  • runningmaria
    runningmaria Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had refrigerator oatmeal for breakfast (oatmeal, vanilla yogurt, milk, jam, and fresh berries). The brands of yogurt and jam I use are pretty clean but there is fair amount of sugar involved.
    Lunch was a fail; chicken sandwich at Wendy's. I don't remember the last time I ate at Wendy's and it's 93 degrees in Seattle today. My kids and I needed some air conditioning. It doesn't mean I'm throwing in the towel at eating clean however. :)
    Dinner is going to be spaghetti (store bought sauce today because I can't turn on the stove for two hours to make my own with it this hot) and broccoli.
    And I had a smoothie for snack (milk, sugar, berries from the garden).

My next-ten-days goal is to eat a fruit or vegetable with every meal. I've got breakfast, snack, and dinner today.
  • shojomecha
    shojomecha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    They taste JUST like regular cherry tomatoes :) they just have a brownish-greenish tint to them :) I'm in a local food co-op and the latest delivery made included these little black cherry tomatoes; I love em!

For the rest of my day I had:

Snacks: 3 TBS almond butter (yummmmm!), 1 medium organic Gala apple

Dinner: 4.8 oz panfried (in coconut oil) Yellowfin Tuna Steak, and 2 cups sauteed sweet peppers, onion, and garlic (cooked in coconut oil) - it was all pretty tasty!!
  • 2Chaotic
    2Chaotic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well this is day 5 on MFP and I'm pretty happy with how I'm going so far. I'm logging every morsel and putting more thought into what I'm eating. Of course it's early days and I'm full of newby enthusiasm and have not faced any major challenges yet.

As for my stated goals for the first 10 days:
    - Logging everthing - a big tick there
    - Cutting down on dairy - ditto
    - Limiting my coffee intake to 3 cups per week - I had my third cup today. So that's it until Tuesday. Yikes!
    - Limiting takeout/eating out to 2 per week - Hmmm, maybe I should not have been so strict or ambitious to start. Yesterday I puchased an egg and bacon muffin at work. Today I had a focaccia and tomorrow night I will be going out for dinner. Oopsie! May need to revise that goal to something a wee bit more realistic.

Overall I have been eating fairly clean:
    oat bran porridge or untoasted muesli for breakfast (tomorrow it will be an egg and vegie fry-up :happy: ),
    lunch has been home-made vegie and lentil soup or tuna salad or Vegie stir-fry,
    dinner has been vegie based.
    I've had some cheese and some smoked pork neck but in small amounts.

So far so good... and a massive improvement on the previous week's eating.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Finished up the week better than the beginning…

Yesterday’s menu:
    Breakfast: Bob’s Red Mill Oatmeal with fresh blueberries and a fresh mixed berry smoothie
    Lunch: Clean-out-the-fridge Wrap – sliced steak, scrambled egg, mixed greens, stir fried peppers and onion in a GF tortilla
    Dinner: Brown rice, chicken breast, mixed greens salad, and watermelon for dessert.
    Snacks: Various fresh fruit and veggies.

Some of the items were in the “somewhat processed” category but everything was either organic or minimally processed so I think I going to give myself a “B” for the day.
  • abs0830
    Options
    You hit a pet peeve of mine. Your ability to read the name of an ingredient or that you know what it is does not mean it is healthy or unhealthy.

19cthsq3h02qrpng.png

Do you know what everything on this list is, or how to pronounce them?

Actually I do :-)
  • ShalaraQ
    Options
    I would say this week its been about 50/50 for the clean eating. But as I've mentioned, I just can't afford to throw away my pantry, and I am still making my calorie goals for weight loss, so I feel good about the changes I have incorporated moving towards the goal of more clean eating.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I had half of a whole grain flatbread with natural (unsweetened, peanuts only) peanut butter, coffee with Cedar Summit organic cream for breakfast.

Lunch was a salmon burger with homemade creme fraiche, avocado, red onion on the same flatbread. I had a salad of mixed kale, spinach and chard lightly dressed with evoo. I also had half of a navel orange.
  • jenniwain
    jenniwain Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was happy with my progress Monday _ Friday last week but the weekend is always a problem area.

Saturday I had three kinds of alcohol and potato chip although the food was good home cooking! Sunday morning I just failed ... went for a coffee and had cafe con leche with sugar and a magadalena (small processed food cake)..... Sunday evening frozen pizza and wine (but no Ice cream, so that´s good.....)

Back on the wagon this morning!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The weekend was a fail as far as clean eating goes. Hubby and I went to the ocean for a weekend getaway, and since we haven't had one in quite a while, I just let myself have whatever I wanted (within my calorie goal). I actually lost a little weight over the weekend, so woohoo!

I missed breakfast and am having some leftovers from our weekend for lunch. Tonight's dinner is a hot chicken salad casserole and steamed vegetables. There are some things in the casserole that probably don't fall within the clean eating guidelines, but it's what I have in the pantry. :)
  • ShalaraQ
    Options
    I had a tiny weight loss this week. Not entirely unexpected for my body and how it reacts to suddenly eating a calorie deficit. My weekend was about 70% clean (let's not talk about bacon =0).

This morning I had a tomato and goat cheese galette from my local grocer deli (a local equivalent to whole foods, its a clean, organic product), topped with some of my blender salsa and a cupful of lovely Marion berries. Has anyone eaten them? I don't know how far they get shipped. They are a variant of blackberry developed in the 1950's in Marion county here in Oregon. I know they make up 50%+ of our berry acreage in my state, and aren't grown commercially outside the pacific northwest much, if any. At any rate, they were perfectly ripe, sweet and juicy, a real treat =)

I have leftover tri tip for lunch along with some brilliantly colored and ripe heirloom tomatoes. I picked these up yesterday at New Seasons as well. I have 8 heirloom tomato plants in my raised beds, but the sun has been fickle this summer and they took forever to produce fruits, and everything is still quite green and unready.

Dinner is baked chicken thighs, which my family loves. Even my 5yo who barely touches meat will eagerly devour an entire thigh and ask for more. These are just regular old thighs, not free range or organic, but I still have 20+ pounds of these in the freezer to eat up. They had family packs for sale at the other store I frequent (Fred Meyer, originally all locally owned, but now affiliated with Kroger) for only 99 cents a pound. I think we bought about 40 pounds at the time. Anyway, we'll have BBQ lentils and steamed broccoli along with the thighs. The lentils are not necessarily a favorite of the kids, but since they both love the chicken and broccoli, I feel OK putting in a I-might-not-eat-that food as well.

Tangy Barbecue Lentils

1 T. olive oil
    1 C. chopped onion
    1 T. minced garlic
    2 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. powdered mustard
    2 C. lower-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (water works, but isn't as flavorful)
    3/4 C. tomato sauce
    3 T. balsamic vinegar
    1 T. Dijon mustard (I use Annie's Naturals Organic Dijon, very simple ingredient list)
    2 T. honey
    1 1/2 C. dry lentils, rinsed
    1/2 tsp. salt (I omit this because we are a low sodium household, and don't do any added salt to food)
    Pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder and powdered mustard. Sauté about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add broth, tomato sauce, vinegar, mustard, honey and lentils. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender but intact. If lentils are not tender, add 1/4 C. water and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.