Great "feets" of strength for 5 feeters [Post July 4th]

Options
jpdanh
jpdanh Posts: 37 Member
With the holiday weekend behind us (and many cookouts galore), I hear a lot of guilt-talk about what was consumed (myself included with all the sour gummy worms). Don't feel bummed! Keep it a once in awhile thing and enjoy yourselves. Let's get back on track and celebrate the victories now.

Share your recent health/diet/fitness successes with us!

I'll start:

1. I learned about shrimp squats recently and can perform them as easily as pistols.

2. I've been training my friend in the gym to get her ready for her wedding. It's her forth week and she's upped her deadlift from 20lbs to 35lbs today, from body weight squats last Thursday to 20lbs, and tomorrow we'll push for 5 more pounds on her bench.

3. Vanity success - yesterday, my uncle told me I look more cut. That was awesome.

Replies

• MinaValkyrie
    MinaValkyrie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea for a topic since I know that between the 2 BBQs I went to (and all the subsequent leftovers I'm still wading through carefully in the fridge) I went well above and beyond the calorie count.

I am severely sunburnt after shoveling 4 1/4 tons of stone to widen my driveway Monday, but everyone at work complimented me yesterday on how thin I'm looking. Guess the hard work is starting to pay off, not seeing the loss on the scale but I guess that has to do with the weight training for now and I'm sure it'll pick back up. Starting on my half marathon training program this week and hopefully doing the whole 4.5 miles tonight with the beer runners. Maybe all this exercise will make up for the weekend!
  • jpdanh
    Options
    I am severely sunburnt after shoveling 4 1/4 tons of stone to widen my driveway Monday

Holy mother of beastly strength, that is awesome! I actually love manual labor when it needs doing...I get lost in the repetitive task (I chop a lot of bamboo in the gardens of my school).
    Guess the hard work is starting to pay off, not seeing the loss on the scale but I guess that has to do with the weight training for now

Definitely the training. Don't sweat it. I'm on 71 days of tracking and down 7lbs from 130.8 in April this year - it's a slow process to remove fat and keep/build muscle. You got this.
  • changsofa
    changsofa Posts: 37
    Options
    This is great!

1) I broke through my first stall! I failed my bench press at 45lbs twice. By the 3rd time, I was able to complete 5x5 :D Woop to the 50lbs next!

2) I tossed half a tub of icecream. You damn read that right I was able to throw out ICECREAM. It was left over after my dad's visit, and one afternoon I found myself continuously going back to the fridge and spooning a few little scoops every few hours. Realizing that I don't have the will power to eat a little bit every day, I decided that it should not interfere with my diet anymore!!

3) A friend who helped form check my Strong Lift routine told me I had better form than a lot of guys who he tried teaching!
  • zavrrr
    zavrrr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i did a very cool yoga pose yesterday that i've never done before (with blocks for assistance, but still!):
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XxnhXclVKh4/TuT7OvVc6KI/AAAAAAAABNI/DAjCOt0YYZg/s1600/EkaPadaBakasana.jpg

i haven't been able to go to yoga classes regularly lately, and ironically, sometimes it feels like i have an easier time getting into more difficult poses after a break.
  • jpdanh
    Options
    This is great!

1) I broke through my first stall! I failed my bench press at 45lbs twice. By the 3rd time, I was able to complete 5x5 :D Woop to the 50lbs next!

2) I tossed half a tub of icecream. You damn read that right I was able to throw out ICECREAM. It was left over after my dad's visit, and one afternoon I found myself continuously going back to the fridge and spooning a few little scoops every few hours. Realizing that I don't have the will power to eat a little bit every day, I decided that it should not interfere with my diet anymore!!

3) A friend who helped form check my Strong Lift routine told me I had better form than a lot of guys who he tried teaching!

Great job! Girls can lift too!
  • jpdanh
    Options
    i did a very cool yoga pose yesterday that i've never done before (with blocks for assistance, but still!):
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XxnhXclVKh4/TuT7OvVc6KI/AAAAAAAABNI/DAjCOt0YYZg/s1600/EkaPadaBakasana.jpg

i haven't been able to go to yoga classes regularly lately, and ironically, sometimes it feels like i have an easier time getting into more difficult poses after a break.

Sweet! What's that one called? Do you set it up like crow/crane and then extend?
  • zavrrr
    zavrrr Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Sweet! What's that one called? Do you set it up like crow/crane and then extend?

my teacher referred to it as a peacock variation, but it looks like it's technically just crow/crane with a leg extended. i was doing a modified version with blocks under my shoulders for stability, so i set up from down dog, lowered into chatturanga arms/positioned my shoulders on the blocks, and then put one leg onto my arm, braced and extended the other. it was significantly easier on one side for me, even with the blocks!
  • jpdanh
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I have something to play around with later...(I like to practice poses that look like fun...I know it's not the right way, but it's fun >___> ).
  • KateChampagne
    KateChampagne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was able to do a wheel pose for the first time in years the other day! It wasn't perfect (took a timed selfie to check... just in case) but I did it!
  • jpdanh
    Options
    I was able to do a wheel pose for the first time in years the other day! It wasn't perfect (took a timed selfie to check... just in case) but I did it!

Congrats!