Pre-race dinner

Options
tkillion810
tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
What's your favorite pre-race (or long run) dinner? Go....

Replies

• tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    For dinners before my am long run the next day, I find that I can eat whatever I want. I don't do any distance above 13 miles and am eating at maintenance with high carbs anyway so I don't eat anything specifically for carb fueling. But my favorite pre long run breakfast is cheerios. Plain cheerios and water. Anything else gives me indigestion.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Rice with sweet and sour sauce and pineapple. Almost pure carbs. Pre race breakfast is always a bagel. Sometimes a banana too.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I try to go for pasta the night before a long run/race. That morning, I'll try to have some oatmeal with greek yogurt and berries a while before starting out.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's #16 sub mayo for avocado. Morning of, a banana.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    McDouble happy meal with chocolate milk.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Beef and Brocolli with fried rice. Second favorite: Spaghetti with meat sauce.
    Cheerios with a banana and coffee the morning of a race.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti with garlic bread or onion bagel. I can't eat before a run so I try to carb load the night before.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    4 oz of some kind of grilled meat. Mashed sweet potatoes, mixed greens (from my farm share) with a little balsamic vinegar and either a little bit of brown rice or a piece of bread. Sometimes i forget the grain in favor of brocoli sauted in oil and garlic.

Oatmeal, fruit and coffee in the morning.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Currently homemade fried rice. Breakfast is a bagel with peanut butter or butter and honey.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have only run Half marathons so far, so nothing special for dinner (other than the free beer at packet pickup). My breakfast is PB&J on an english muffin with some OJ a few hours before the start and a banana about 30 minutes before. With my breakfast and powerade on the course, I have plenty of energy.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Lately it's been some variation of pita or tortilla vegan burrito--although not as much as you would think of traditional burrito. More like beans, potatoes, hummus, and maybe a touch of salsa. I usually experiment with whatever I have at the time. I wouldn't say I eat more than usual, just make sure it's well rounded and plentiful to provide the energy I need the day after.

I used to wake up early and eat similar burritos on days for long bike rides (100+). Typically on runs I eat during and not before.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Favorite pre-run dinner: vegan fettuccini alfredo. The sauce is made with pureed tofu and nutritional yeast so it isn't oily or heavy but has lots of flavor.

Favorite pre-run breakfast: 2 slices Dave's Killer Bread with 1 tablespoon almond butter and as much coffee as I can drink.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love all the variety!!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Pre-race dinner: sushi and anchor steam. Morning of: pumpkin bread and peanut butter.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Mine is chickpea & tomato stew with brown rice. And if it's a target race I don't even have a glass of wine with it.
  • fifilan
    fifilan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love sushi for dinner before a long run or race.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Mine is chickpea & tomato stew with brown rice. And if it's a target race I don't even have a glass of wine with it.

No wine?! :noway:
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    The 3Ss: Sushi, Sashimi, and Saki (OK, and not too much of the latter).
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Rice of course! Like, the nutritionally less healthy WHITE kind! Om nom nom

Oh wait, I eat white rice all the time. Probably not considered pre-run "carb-loading" if I'll eat it no matter what.

Morning of I eat a piece of bread with peanut butter. My long run is only 14 miles, but I need to have *something* in my system. I can't do it on an empty stomach. I don't feel the need to do a whole lot of carb-loading though, the night before. I try to make sure I'm not dramatically under on my carbs though, but I don't worry about stuffing my face with pasta. Pre-race I try to focus on carbs more. And I generally have a beer just to help me sleep (I get all nervous and jittery). Beer counts as carbs, right?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and cheese + tuna + sweet peas.
    Works every time. My long runs/races have always gone really well after that dinner. Plus it was super easy to make in a dorm when I was an undergrad :)