Is this group still active?! Hope so :)

Options
Hey, is this still an active group? If so, it sounds fantastic, because this is my exact issue...
Bipolar meds are vital in keeping me sane and functioning, and yet the weight gain side effect kills me :( (I'm not overweight, but I have gained weight from Lithium and antipsychotics)
Look forward to hearing from others in the same boat hopefully! x

Replies

• VeganScotland
    Options
    Hi, I just found the group today. I'm not over weight (my BMI is 19.4 at present) though I have gained 7lb since starting lithium last December. My food diary is public, but feel free to add me.
  • Deona143
    Deona143 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I gained close to 100 pounds last year because of lithium. I couldn't get full ever. I would throw up because of everything I was shoving in. Finally the doctor pulled me off of it. But I had 9 months and 100 lbs on me. I know getting the right mix of meds is critical. Lord knows I've been through plenty. I've just started a new med regime so I'll let you know how that goes. But if you keep gaining weight and the lithium is not helping your moods then please talk with your doc. There are new drugs and some pretty good older ones that have a less likelyhood of gaining weight. I've had to exercise pretty hard to get 25lbs off so far. But I couldn't keep it up cause I was in so much pain from the amount of exercise I was putting in and all the extra strain on my joints because of the extra weight. I hope you will keep posting.
  • blondene1
    blondene1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hope that this group is still active too?? Olanzapine is the culprit drug for my rapid weight gain. I am still taking Lithium, was unaware that this could also be a weight gain drug too? Will have to discuss with doctors. Any advice on weightloss would be appreciative as I am definitley struggling here!
  • Strawberriesandlime
    Options
    My psychiatrist is adamant that Lithium doesn't cause that much weight gain, but my experience, and the experience of so, so many others begs to differ I'd say!
    I am literally full never.

Oh, and blondene1, olanz is the absolute WORST for weight gain :( I was on quetiapine which is still pretty dreadful for weight gain but not as bad as olanzapine... But there are some atypical antipsychotics that are weight neutral, it's just they may not have as good mood stabilising properties, and you kind of have to weigh up the pros and cons and see what's best for you as an individual
    But something my psychiatrist mentioned if the weight gain was getting too bad is switching to aripiprazole with an antidepressant and that can act as a mood stabiliser, so I guess you could discuss that with your psych?
  • juliea5
    juliea5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been away from this site for a while. Recently a friend suggested we team up because she wants to lose 20 pounds. I was diagnosed 24 years ago & take high doses (2500 mg) of Depakote ER (an anti-seizure med that for me is an effective mood stabilizer). Along with that, I take Trazadone HCL, Seroquel, & Klonopin. I take my bedtime meds at 9 PM but once I do my cravings for carbs and sweets are out of control. I'm now 100 pounds heavier than before I was diagnosed. I do fine during the day, especially when I get some exercise in. All my profile, food & exercise is public. Feel free to add me as a friend. We need to support each other. Best of luck to all of you!!