Evening time overeaters? Mini-bingers? ARGHH

Options
witchtea
witchtea Posts: 10 Member
I can eat like a reasonable personal all through the day, but come evening time, once I'm off work... I am barely able to pull myself out of the kitchen. And no, it's not because I'm not getting enough nutrition/protein/flax seed, etc... it is pure, emotional binging. Doesn't matter if I'm actually hungry or not. Anyone else have this problem? I'm pretty sure it is the ONLY reason I'm not fit instead of skinny-fat.

Trying to be mindful, distracting myself, and a few other tactics have helped me combat the nightime overeating, but I thought I'd ask you guys for suggestions. Anyone else had this problem and found ways to successfully battle it?

Replies

• Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Talk to yourself on the way to the kitchen " what do you want to eat? why do you want it? are you REALLY hungry? how about a protein shake/veggies/fruits?" I find if I don't want something healthy I know its just a binge and I will avoid the kitchen like the plague. Cleaning helps, or coming online and talking to people. Checking instagram/FB for motivational pictures and quotes that make me realize all the reasons why I don't want to be in the kitchen..

Some people reccomend meditation to get to the root of the problem. Some people just find a place and scream at the top of their lungs (pillows help).

In the long run, finding out your driving emotions will be what will keep you out of the kitchen.
  • shellygfields
    shellygfields Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been there , done that. I don't keep junk in the house...only food that has to be prepared. If you want to kill your "hunger". Eat a handful of almonds...works every time. :smile
  • Elvirka_xoxo
    Elvirka_xoxo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I definitely do the same and it doesn't help that I have an office job so sit on my butt for 10 hours a day. I found that getting home late usually works best for me. My house is very cozy and if I get home, I just want to relax and enjoy food. So going to the gym right after work and having a protein shake usually controls my appetite so I won't feel as hungry.
  • iwannagetfitrightnow
    iwannagetfitrightnow Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Some things that help for me:

Make a fresh squeezed juice.

Herbal teas.

Really healthy snacks: homemade kale chips, sliced apples, berries and yogurt
  • Tharris62
    Tharris62 Posts: 4
    Options
    Some things that help me are:
    Herbal and green teas. Stocking my fridge and pantry with only healthy food instead of my usual cookies. An apple or banana with almond butter seem to help my cravings. :)
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find that the majority of the time, if it's late (after dinner) and I'm hungry? It's because I'm dehydrated. I hydrate really well at work, but it pretty much stops the second I get home.

:embarassed:

A terrible habit, I know. But drinking a big glass of water usually helps me stop myself from diving into a carton of ice cream.
  • hebronc28
    hebronc28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I suffer with this something terrible! I work at night and when I get off I want nothing but junk! I think my problem is not drinking enough water. I will do better with my water intake!
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too...

What helps me is to have something sweet, like a date with a pecan nut inside (it really is delicious!) and the I BRUSH MY TEETH. Weird but afterwards I all of a sudden don't feel like eating anymore. It helps, of course, that we don't have anything too unhealthy/yummy in the house or else I'd eat it all, teeth brushing be damned ;)
  • jess1jane
    jess1jane Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have been eating two Quest protein bars with about three glasses of water between six and seven in the evening. I always feel like I could eat two or three more but half an hour to an hour later I start feeling full and so I have just made it a habit to save my protein bars for my dinner because they are so filling and you definitely drink a lot of water with them because they make you thirsty too. There are protein bars out there that are not so high calories or sugar, you just really have to look and compare and be prepared to drop a few extra bucks for the better ones. But high protein dinners help keep late night cravings away, at least for me. Hope that helps!