Treating PCOS with Only Metformin and no BCP?

Options
Hello fellow PCOS sisters!

After 15 years on it, I've decided to kick "the pill" to the curb and try to treat the root cause of my PCOS which is the insulin resistance. My endocrinologist told me about studies linking long term pill use to increased insulin resistance problems, not good! That and Yasmin has skyrocketed my cholesterol levels so we want to get that under control too.

Been off Yasmin for 3 weeks now and am only using Metformin (Been on 1500 mg a day the last 5 years) to treat the insulin resistance. Has anyone had any luck stopping birth control pills and treating their PCOS with only metformin? What about weight loss after stopping the pill? Any side effects from stopping? Just curious. No side effects yet with the exception of acne issues. I eat a relatively low carb diet (approximately 120 carbs a day/30% of my calories) with moderate protein and moderate fat which seems to be helping with some weight loss.

Thanks, ladies!

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I went off the pill twice since I went on it at 20. The first time I got pregnant with my daughter. The second time I got pregnant with my son. I did not go back on after my son (he's six month old now and it took a year and a half to conceive so I've been off since December 2011). One thing I noticed right away is that my migraines, which had been terrible, are now much less frequent. They are also much, much less severe and now I can take OTC meds for them instead of prescription meds being necessary. So I've decided to stay off the pill and use other means of birth control. I also take Metformin.
    The Metformin did help my PCOS by itself. It has regulated my period (both before my son was conceived and after he was born). I've also had success with other symptoms, particularly hair loss. I know my weight went up both times after stopping the pill but once I started Metformin, it dropped back down.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    metformin by it self did my no good in regulating my period with out birth control I go months without a period and then have period with heavy flow for months this last time I stopped bc I ended up having to have a d and c due to my tissue lining build up