new here any advise?

Options
hmgarcia83
hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
I had been having tummy issues for months out of the blue it seemed like. I started looking up my symptoms and noticed other ones i had i didn't know i had (my depression, brain fog, etc.) could be connected. I started cutting gluten out of my diet and have been feeling better (hubby thinks it in my head so he sometimes tricks me working on him). My depression is better, head more clear, tummy happier etc. I know it will take time to get back to 100% but its nice feeling better. I want to get tested by my doc but cant afford the $200 test right now (trying to move across country). The hardest thing is I LOVE to bake so i am having issues finding flours I like. Any advise on any gluten free cooking eating and baking would help me out a lot. I don't know anyone who has this issue in my life.

Replies

• Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Brain fog was one of my biggest issues, it's so nice when it clears.

If you do want to get tested, you have to still be consuming gluten (or you'll need to start eating it again) all they can test for though is Celiac, you can still be gluten intolerant/sensitive and it won't show.

I've heard that both Bobs Red Mill and Pamela's have good gf flour blends if you can find those. I use Cup4Cup myself, but it's really expensive.

Cooking isn't too hard. We don't buy many processed foods and make pretty much everything ourselves. Meats/fish, eggs, dairy, veggies, fruits, rice, quinoa....and then things like gf pasta (Catelli makes a tasty spaghetti noodle)
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi Hun

Good on you for going gluten free - i personally find this helps me a lot and makes me feel amazing! I got tested by my doctor and the test was negative, but i still try and be as gluten free as possible!

Gluten free baking is so much fun! Instead of flour you can use coconut flour or almond meal. Or you can even get a "Gluten Free Flour" pack from your supermarket which is generally a blend of rice flour, tapioca flour and other gluten free flour.

Here is one of my favourite cookie recipes which is so easy and gluten free: http://helpforfitness.com/gluten-free-chocolate-cookie-recipe/

Good luck with your gluten free journey!
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My advice: be VERY careful about cutting gluten out of your diet before getting your labs done! I was in the same boat as you and decided to cut gluten out for two weeks just to see if it made a difference. When I noticed that it did, I went to my doctor to get tested and had to do a gluten challenge, where you MUST eat two servings of gluten every day for several weeks leading up to your labs. My symptoms came back with a vengeance and I was extremely sick during the whole challenge. Finally my labs came back confirming that I have Celiac Disease. If you find a way to raise the money and just GET IT DONE, just do it. Don't go gluten-free without getting tested otherwise you have to wait WEEKS of misery...
  • selfmom5
    selfmom5 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love to bake as well!!! If you are on Pinterest, check out gluten free on a shoestring. She has great recipes! Since the gf flour is so expensive I have had to cut down on my baking some. That and my bread consumption.... Now, a piece of toast is like a piece of candy.... Eating out is the hardest and we are a big family, so when I cook, I have to cook mine seperate.... Which means more dishes! :)
    You will learn what types of flours you like best to work with. My favorite is by natural... Gluten free cafe all purpose baking mix. Our Walmart sells it... It's a mixture of flours and it has xanthan gum already in it.... Good luck!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Stay gluten free, don't bother with the test, and don't bother with trying to sub in GF products for your baking. The results won't be the same, and while you could learn to "get used to" the variants, you can just as easily get used to not having the baked goods in the first place.
    Stick with meat, veggies, etc. The processed GF stuff may be GF but it's not necessarily good for you.
  • SalmaQ
    SalmaQ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new in this forum too, I've been researching and I think I could have some kind of intolerance too (I even have psoriasis and costant bloating) but I can't find any test in my country, do you recomend me to start a gluten free diet? I don't know what to do :(
  • pinklark
    pinklark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I love to bake and continue to use non gf ingredients . . . I just don't eat what I make :) I will say that I was craving a treatso I found a recipe for black bean brownies and whipped up a batch. They weren't horrible.
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old son is on the Autism Spectrum. He always had digestive issues..so we started the Gluten Free diet..he never was tested...but after 2 weeks...I really noticed the difference in his behavior...and he wasn't crying so much because his tummy was hurting...You don't miss the Bread and pasta and cookies and such...
    We basically eat alot of Veggies, Fruit and meat...when we want a treat..we get Macaroons!
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Kirk...you are right on!....Testing can be expensive...and lost of GI doctors hate doing the Celiac biopsy...Stick with Fresh Real Foods....Try to eat it in its pure form whenever possible....
  • krmthomas
    krmthomas Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm an un-diagnosed Celiac. I had a negative result on the blood test and went GF anyways. I noticed a HUGE change and went back to the doctor and found out its not as accurate as one would think. He wanted me to go back to a gluten diet and get the scope. Needless to say I didn't ( I don't need a piece of paper telling me what I already know not to mention I don't want to poison my body anymore). Try the following

Pintrest
    Gluten - Free Goddess (she talks about different types of flours and their best uses)
    Winners (for cheaper mixes and GF products)
    The organic isle at the grocery store
    Bulk Barn ( or other bulk stores)
    XOXO baking mixes
    Pamela's baking mixes

Most of the time I use the gluten recipe and blend my own flours. A lot of times GF food isn't as nutrient dense because they use rice flour and sugars so when baking try and use nutrient dense ingredients (banana or apple sauce instead of sugar, coconut or almond flour instead of rice flour). Basically its trial and error and make sure you make smaller batches as GF baking is only good for 2 days MAX unless its freezable which not everything you bake is.

Hope that helps!

Kristina