Q3 Goals

Options
dorkyfaery
dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
I just joined this group recently and wanted to see if there is any interest for this here. I am in another group and last quarter we did quarterly goals with periodic check-ins. As Q2 was winding down, participation was waning, and by the start of the new quarter no one had posted at all about their goals for Q3. So I thought I'd post over here, too. If you are interested in setting and periodically checking in with a quarterly goal or goals, feel free to join in with this thread. I plan to check in every week or two with progress updates, assuming there is participation from others in this group.

Quarter Three Goals
1. Lose 6 pounds by September 30, about half a pound per week, bringing me down to 174.6.
2. Continue to do *something* at least five days a week, even if it's just a short 20 walk at lunch.
3. Continue to play tennis at least one day a week but preferably two. I'm reducing this mainly because tennis requires finding someone to play with you and now that my league is over it's not as easy as it was.
4. Implement a strength training plan based on recommendations from doctor and/or physical therapist (due to recently discovered herniated disc).

So far less than a week in I'm on track. I'm down to 178.4, and I've been taking walks almost daily. I need to schedule PT for my herniated disc, so I'll have to see how that will fit into everything. The one day I had tennis plans for last week, they were rained out. I am hoping for better weather this week.

Replies

• GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    Well considering that I have a check up appointment in 3 months with my doctor,this would be ideal for me.

1. Lose 15lbs
    2. Consistently monitor blood pressure
    3. Complete C25K program
    4. Add in a weight training program

I am sure there will be other things that popup.
  • dorkyfaery
    Options
    Well considering that I have a check up appointment in 3 months with my doctor,this would be ideal for me.

1. Lose 15lbs
    3. Complete C25K program

Those are great goals. Good luck!
  • GFreg
    Options
    Thanks! Good luck with your goals, too!
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great Idea!!

Here are my 3rd Quarter CY2014 Goals:

1. Increase my mountain biking rides to @ least once every two weeks (These rides typically burn about 1100 cal and are about 2 hr long, adrenalin-full adventures)
    2. Attempt to do my customary easy 20 mile roadie loop @ least once a week (weather permitting)
    2. Keep tracking food during weekdays (I can never track during the weekends)
    3. Continue with weight training using heavier weights (20-25 lb free weights for upper and 90-170 lb leg muscles)
    ** Ever since I started doing weights I've notice a noticeable difference in my body.
    4. Incorporate Yoga @ least once during the week
    5. Do the fun and dancy Zumba classes @ the gym
    6. Do green smoothies for lunch @ work every weekday... (these smoothies have lots of leafy greens and a minimum amount of fruit!)
    7. Attempt to spread my calorie intake throughout the day by snacking in between meals
    8. Reduce eating out instances to once a week
  • Lanet27
    Options

So far less than a week in I'm on track. I'm down to 178.4, and I've been taking walks almost daily. I need to schedule PT for my herniated disc, so I'll have to see how that will fit into everything. The one day I had tennis plans for last week, they were rained out. I am hoping for better weather this week.

I wish you well in your recovery/PT treatments.
  • GFreg
    Options
    Great Idea!!

Here are my 3rd Quarter CY2014 Goals:

1. Increase my mountain biking rides to @ least once every two weeks (These rides typically burn about 1100 cal and are about 2 hr long, adrenalin-full adventures)
    2. Attempt to do my customary easy 20 mile roadie loop @ least once a week (weather permitting)
    2. Keep tracking food during weekdays (I can never track during the weekends)
    3. Continue with weight training using heavier weights (20-25 lb free weights for upper and 90-170 lb leg muscles)
    ** Ever since I started doing weights I've notice a noticeable difference in my body.
    4. Incorporate Yoga @ least once during the week
    5. Do the fun and dancy Zumba classes @ the gym
    6. Do green smoothies for lunch @ work every weekday... (these smoothies have lots of leafy greens and a minimum amount of fruit!)
    7. Attempt to spread my calorie intake throughout the day by snacking in between meals
    8. Reduce eating out instances to once a week

Sounds like you have some good goals. Good luck!
  • Lanet27
    Options

1. Lose 15lbs
    3. Complete C25K program

Good Luck to you as well!! :D

BTW, I'm also incorporating the Couch to 5K training in between all the biking, weight lifting and Zumba partying.. Let's just say I'm kind of addicted to working out.
  • dorkyfaery
    Options
    Lanet, good luck on your goals!

I'm doing pretty well so far, I'm just under 178 so I'm on target for my 6 pounds. Tennis has been tough due to weather and scheduling but I did get out and play on Saturday for a bit. I have my eval with PT tonight and start PT on Friday. Hoping it helps! I'm waiting to see what PT has to offer before I incorporate additional strength training.

My major NSV is that in spite of a **** storm of crazy in both my personal and professional lives, I have not done any crazy, extreme eating and when spread out over a seven day period I am meeting my calorie targets. I consider this to be major progress!
  • GFreg
    Options
    Lanet, good luck on your goals!

I'm doing pretty well so far, I'm just under 178 so I'm on target for my 6 pounds. Tennis has been tough due to weather and scheduling but I did get out and play on Saturday for a bit. I have my eval with PT tonight and start PT on Friday. Hoping it helps! I'm waiting to see what PT has to offer before I incorporate additional strength training.

My major NSV is that in spite of a **** storm of crazy in both my personal and professional lives, I have not done any crazy, extreme eating and when spread out over a seven day period I am meeting my calorie targets. I consider this to be major progress!

Sounds like you are doing great!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Oh - great goals, you guys! I'm totally in!

1. Run at least 25 miles each month this quarter.
    2. Lose about 5 more pounds, then stay in maintenance (I've already hit goal WEIGHT - just want to make sure I don't go OVER it for maintenance... so I want to hit the low end of my maintenance range).
    3. Begin a body weight exercise program (three times a week?) Been doing research, just have yet to put it into practice (much)
    4. Participate in the DC Color run on 28 September... and maybe get a new personal best time.
    5. Continue daily MFP tracking and check-ins.
  • dorkyfaery
    Options
    Oh - great goals, you guys! I'm totally in!

2. Lose about 5 more pounds, then stay in maintenance (I've already hit goal WEIGHT - just want to make sure I don't go OVER it for maintenance... so I want to hit the low end of my maintenance range).
    3. Begin a body weight exercise program (three times a week?) Been doing research, just have yet to put it into practice (much)
    4. Participate in the DC Color run on 28 September... and maybe get a new personal best time.

Great goals! I had been doing barbell training but it was starting to get boring so I'm switching it up and just started "You Are Your Own Gym." Only day two but I can tell you my legs are jello from my workout tonight!
  • plumbucket
    Options
    I'm a little late to the game, but I definitely want to participate!

My Goals:
    1) Make it under 200 pounds (so I can fit into my work clothes!)
    2) Make responsible food choices during my out of town trainings (resort-catered meals for 10 days in August, plus possible future trainings)
    3) Stick to my lifting plan (4x/week), especially through the upcoming training trips

Good luck to everyone!
  • dorkyfaery
    Options
    Welcome to the thread, plum! Good luck with the travel eating. I know that can be tough. Just take it one meal/choice at a time.

Update for me - I'm holding steady around 177, which isn't surprising because I've only been eating a smidge below maintenance. My goal for this week is to really watch my intake and hit my calorie goal on a daily basis. I'm doing alright with my other goals. Tennis is still on hold until my PT tells me I'm clear to play again. I'm doing "You Are Your Own Gym" workouts a few days a week, though I've had to alter some of the workouts based on my PT advice.

How is everyone else doing towards their goals?
  • GFreg
    Options
    Welcome to the thread, plum! Good luck with the travel eating. I know that can be tough. Just take it one meal/choice at a time.

Update for me - I'm holding steady around 177, which isn't surprising because I've only been eating a smidge below maintenance. My goal for this week is to really watch my intake and hit my calorie goal on a daily basis. I'm doing alright with my other goals. Tennis is still on hold until my PT tells me I'm clear to play again. I'm doing "You Are Your Own Gym" workouts a few days a week, though I've had to alter some of the workouts based on my PT advice.

How is everyone else doing towards their goals?

Sounds like you are doing well and adjusting to advice from your PT.

Welcome, Plum! Those are some good goals. I know how hard it can be to eat well when traveling. Especially when the food is provided for you.
  • Unicron703
    Options
    Also late to this, but would like to participate, if only to hold myself accountable for something:
    - Get to 273lbs my September 30th
    - Maintain at a minimum 60 minutes of activity a day
    - Keep 100% commitment to eating under my daily calorie allotment
  • GFreg
    Options
    Also late to this, but would like to participate, if only to hold myself accountable for something:
    - Get to 273lbs my September 30th
    - Maintain at a minimum 60 minutes of activity a day
    - Keep 100% commitment to eating under my daily calorie allotment

Good goals! I definitely want to definitely add 60 minutes of activity to my list as well.
  • dorkyfaery
    Options
    I was going to welcome Unicron but it looks like he/she has deactivated their account!

So update for me...I've managed to hit my weight goal over a month ahead of schedule. Not sure how that happened but I'll take it! It means something is off in my logging. I'm guessing I'm burning more calories than I realize, because my food logging is fairly accurate. When I prepare foods at home I use weight v. volume and I think I do a pretty good job of estimating foods without nutritional information available. I'm not going to worry about it for now but at some point in the future I'm sure it will become more important to me to have a better handle on my burn.

I'm definitely staying active and doing something at least 5 days a week. It's amazing how easy it becomes once you just start to do it. Not that there aren't difficult days but mostly it just feels normal and right now. If that makes sense.

Tennis is still on hold but PT is going well and hopefully I can get back out there in a couple of weeks. Strength training is going well also an I think it is contributing to my progress with my PT as well.

Hope everyone else is doing well with their goals! Would love to read some updates!
  • dorkyfaery
    Options
    Well, the third quarter is winding down and I feel like I've done pretty well in spite of some set backs. I thought I'd give an update and see how everyone else is doing with their goals?

***Quarter Three Goals***
    1. Lose 6 pounds by September 30, about half a pound per week, bringing me down to 174.6.
    ***I'm close - I'm fluctuating between 175-176 but I may not hit this target.

2. Continue to do *something* at least five days a week, even if it's just a short 20 walk at lunch.
    ***I've done this consistently.

3. Continue to play tennis at least one day a week but preferably two. I'm reducing this mainly because tennis requires finding someone to play with you and now that my league is over it's not as easy as it was.
    ***At the advice of my physical therapist I wasn't able to play tennis for a while because of my neck. I was discharged from PT last week and this week was my first week playing in a while, almost three months, and I had so much fun. Neck seems to be handling it well, too, so I'm super happy about that.

4. Implement a strength training plan based on recommendations from doctor and/or physical therapist (due to recently discovered herniated disc).
    ***I did the exercises recommended by my therapist until being discharged from PT. I'm not doing yoga a couple of days a week to strengthen/stretch and I'm planning to do this for a while to see how I progress.
  • JustSomeEm
    Options
    Check! (I'll hit 25 miles for September shortly after beginning my run in the morning)
    Check! (Now I need to figure out maintenance calories... easier said than done, since my physical activity is all over the map)
    FAIL!!! I am just not that motivated for this, but happened to see a post earlier today that reminded me of an exercise video I have that I like, so there is hope yet....
    Still planning the run (and got a niece to sign up with me)... There is apparently going to be another one at the Nationals Park on 1November that both my sons want to run, so we might be doing that one for the 4th quarter.
    Check! Still haven't missed a day (in over 450)
  • JustSomeEm
    Options
    Well, the third quarter is winding down and I feel like I've done pretty well in spite of some set backs. I thought I'd give an update and see how everyone else is doing with their goals?

***Quarter Three Goals***
    ***I'm close - I'm fluctuating between 175-176 but I may not hit this target.

***I've done this consistently.

***At the advice of my physical therapist I wasn't able to play tennis for a while because of my neck. I was discharged from PT last week and this week was my first week playing in a while, almost three months, and I had so much fun. Neck seems to be handling it well, too, so I'm super happy about that.

***I did the exercises recommended by my therapist until being discharged from PT. I'm not doing yoga a couple of days a week to strengthen/stretch and I'm planning to do this for a while to see how I progress.

You're doing great. :) I"m glad you're following the advice of your therapist, even though you're probably chomping at the bit. It takes some major strength of will to be able to hold yourself back - I know it has to be frustrating, but I absolutely admire you for it. :)