10 Clean Eating Tips- Do’s and Dont's

Options
abs0830
abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
I find that articles help me quite a bit with tips from others that have done research on various topics, like clean eating. I'm a research manager in my "normal" job, so I try to make sure the articles come from reputable sources.

Here's one with 10 Do's and Don'ts Enjoy and let everyone know what your biggest take away is :bigsmile:

Do eat four to six small meals a day. Smaller, more frequent meals will keep your blood sugar levels stable and will increase your metabolism. And, because the meals keep the tummy satisfied throughout the day, you’re less likely to turn into a pantry-raiding snack monster.

Don’t skip breakfast. Never. Ever. Your morning meal establishes healthy metabolism throughout day. What’s more, if you skip it, you’ll likely find yourself consuming larger quantities of food at later meals. For healthy breakfast ideas, try the Skinny Ms. e-Book 7 Power Breakfasts.

Do drink. Water, that is. Drink at least four to six glasses of H2O every day to keep the body hydrated. Water also helps the stomach feel full, making you less likely to give in to unhealthy snack attacks. For a refreshing twist on this go-to drink, try Morning Lemon & Mint Water.

Don’t drink too much alcohol. Whether it’s wine or beer, alcohol offers only empty calories and no nutritional value. If you’re going to enjoy alcohol, save it for special occasions.

Do keep clean eating snacks on hand. Whether the day is filled with the kids’ sports events or running errands for an elderly parent, it’s easy to give in to the bad snack temptation. Stay on your clean eating track by packing up healthy snacks in advance. Find easy ideas in 15 Grab-n-Go Snacks.

Don’t sabotage yourself with sugar. Excess sugar is linked to a higher risk of obesity, high blood pressure, and inflammation. Packaged and processed foods often flood the body with unneeded sugar. Even a product that sounds healthy, like store-bought applesauce, often contains too much refined sugar. Instead, satisfy a sweet tooth with natural sugars, like those found in a whole apple.

Do get very veggie. Vegetables deliver nutrients, antioxidants, and fiber. Load up on veggies with these 6 Meatless Meals. They’re simple, healthy recipes that are perfect for busy nights.

Don’t serve super-sized portions. Even if you’re eating a clean diet, it will be hard to lose weight eating portions fit for a sumo champ. Check out Learning How to Control Your Portions and the Skinny Plate Challenge.

Do combine lean protein and complex carbs at each meal. This clean eating one-two punch decreases insulin spikes and maintains energy levels. The combo also acts as a natural appetite suppressant, helping you feel fuller longer. Pair Chicken Pot Roast with your favorite salad topped with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, or red wine vinegar. Need some ideas for salad toppings? Check out 11 Tasty Salad Toppings for Weight Loss.

Don’t go into the week without a meal plan. Can’t answer the question, “what’s for dinner tonight?” Be a planner. Decide on a week’s worth of clean eating recipes ahead of time so that you don’t get stuck feeding the family a boxed meal containing processed or powdered who-knows-what. Start with this 5 Day Clean Eating Dinner Menu.

Read more at http://skinnyms.com/10-clean-eating-tips-dos-and-donts/#wuAOGcRaFDDgBXwk.99

Replies

• ShalaraQ
    ShalaraQ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There have been studies done in recent times that call into question the validity of the first two tips. Not that they don't work just fine, because that's a perfectly legitimate way of eating, but that for an average person, it really doesn't matter when you eat, or how you divide your calories during the day. You can lose weight eating 1200 calories in 2 large meals as easily as you can lose weight eating 1200 calories in 6 mini meals. Eating mini meals is a good way to keep from ever getting too hungry, but the studies show it really doesn't do anything to boost your metabolism. It gives credence to the whole as long as calories in < calories out, you'll lose weight, period.

For the "average" person. On the other hand, that formula doesn't work for me at all. When you start adding in insulin resistance or diabetes, hormonal differences such as hypothyroidism, PCOS, folks with abnormally low metabolism for their body weight, or any number of other medical issues that can throw us off kilter, the formula feels like a cruel joke!

At any rate, there is nothing wrong with eating as the tips suggest, but if you hate eating breakfast, and can control your calories later just fine, the research says in the long run, for weight loss, it doesn't matter.

YMMV

Kristen =)
  • 2Chaotic
    2Chaotic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was pleased to see that I am practising all the top 10 tips except for points 8 and 10.

Portion sizes are a problem for me as I have a huge appetite. However, as I've indicated before, if I'm eating carefully to ensure I;m getting enough nutrients then I am less likely to feel hungry and therefore able to control my portion sizes better. So being strict about portion sizes will be a future goal. My first priority is to get into some routines going.

The same applies to weekly planning. I'm not a planner by nature so I don't know if I will ever be able to achieve that. However if I can stick to points 1 through 9, I should be in a good place in a few months time.
  • abs0830
    Options
    Excellent ladies. I have a few portion control tips if anyone is interested. It's been one of the things that's been hard for me, but I've figured a few things out.
  • 2Chaotic
    Options
    Portion control tips. Yes, please.
  • abs0830
    Options
    2Chatoic-I sent you some via message. :-) How are you doing with the fork signal?
  • 2Chaotic
    Options
    So far, everything has been premeasured and, for the most part, logged before I commenced eating. Except for last night's stir fry. But I have said I will not worry about vegie portions and last night's was all veg. It was large but it was all logged including the 1 tbl of oil and 2 tsp of tamari..

Sunday night's dinner out was cancelled so I couldn't test my fork-putting-down skills/resolve there. Yesterday at work was a challenge. I had taken a couple of sandwiches and some vegie soup because I was going to be working late. I knew I had half a cup of nuts in my drawer to snack on and had accounted for them in my food diary. But... not long after arriving at work I was feeling peckish. despite having had a filling oat bran porridge for breakfast. So down went the sandwiches - "I'll just have one". Yeah right - the second one followed soon after. A couple of hours later the nuts came out. Of course I rediscovered the "emergency" breakfast biscuits that I keep in my drawer and scoffed those in the afternoon. So that was most of my daily calories accounted for. Luckily I managed to resist anything else until I got home and had the stir-fry. (The soup will be today's lunch). I would have been within my calories count however the oil pushed me over. But really, why did I need those "breakfast" biscuits? Today's challenge: No touchy breakfast biscuits!