The last single friend...

Options
I'm (fairly :wink: ) happily single after a very hard time in my personal life. My biggest problem with being single isn't the fact that I'm not in a relationship. It's that I feel like I don't have friends anymore. I'm turning 27 and unsurprisingly the vast majority of my friends are in relationships. I'm very happy for all of them but unfortunately for me that means I always come second these days. I'm always the back-up for when the spouse is busy doing something else. Frankly, it's starting to get to me. There's really no one to go out with or to travel with anymore, and it's bumming me out. I'm also pretty socially awkward so changing circles isn't as easy as I'd like it to be. I'd really love to have more like-minded people to talk to, so feel free to add me if any of this sounds familiar.

Replies

• kansas_mom
    kansas_mom Posts: 16
    Options
    I completely relate!!! I have pretty much lost my closest friends because they would rather spend their time with their significant others and other married couples. When I do spend time with those people, I feel like the third wheel. It's annoying. It's like they forget how to interact with single people just because they're married. I was best friends with someone for so many years, her maid of honor at her wedding, and we don't even speak anymore... It's frustrating. We even have kids the same age. Even my mom has fallen into the dark hole. Her and I used to be super close, and now we barely talk. She would rather 'spend time' with her boyfriend, mind you it's both of them sitting on separate pieces of furniture in their living room playing on separate laptops online.... Plus, she has her own circle of other attached friends that she spends all her spare time with. To make matters worse, I begged her for years and years to go camping with me (none of my friends now enjoy it apparently...), and she finally decides to do it one day because her boyfriend at the time wanted her to. Now she does it regularly and refuses to plan any activities around when I'm available to go. When I do show up, I feel completely isolated from everyone. So, yeah, I think it's fair to say I know exactly how you feel!!!! Ugh!!!
  • amjo2693
    amjo2693 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can also completely relate to this. I'm content being single, but right now I often feel very alone (not lonely--there's a difference!) I don't have many friends and the ones I do have are either married, in a relationship, or have kids and don't have much free time. I miss having friends who are able to go out spontaneously. Any plans I make with friends now have to happen weeks in advance. If I want to do something and my friends aren't available, I usually end up bringing my mom along with me...which is really cool since I'm 34 (haha!) There are definitely benefits of being single but it is tough when everyone else around you is coupled up.