Beginner bicyclist

Options
kschick46
kschick46 Posts: 12 Member
Hello everyone, I am contemplating buying a bike to help me drop weight and get in better health overall. The problem is I haven't been on a bike in years and do not know what type of bike to get. I live in a pretty rural area so a good mix of dirt/gravel and paved roads to ride on. I doubt I will ever be signing up for races but may enjoy joining a group in town and doing group rides now and then as I get better at riding. I thought about going into the bike shop and letting them decided but I would like to have a little information of my own on the matter before I pay $400-$700 on a bike. I don't like to be an uninformed shopper nor do I want to purchase a bike that has a bad performance history. The bike shop closest to me carries Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher, & Specialized. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am excited that you are wanting to delve into the world of cycling. You probably aren't going to find a bike at the LBS (local bike shop) for 400-700 dollars. My advice to you is: Go to LBS and get fitted for a bike so you know what size frame you should be looking at, then get a used bike in good condition off craigslist, ebay, classifieds, or pawn shop, etc. That is what I did for my first bike, I bought a used Giant TCR that was 8 years old it was really in amazing condition. The guy was asking 500 for it and I "flirted" my way down to 350. It was such an awesome bike, I was so in love with it! Somebody stole it out of my garage this spring and I replaced it with a Specialized Tarmac. I know Giant, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale are all good bikes. I wouldn't max out your budget on the bike, you have NO IDEA how much all the accessories you need with cost. Save a little bit for the helmet, padded shorts, water bottles, shoes, jersey, etc. You don't have to get all that at once, but it does add up. I am sure in time you will be hooked and signing up for century rides! Good luck and welcome aboard!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    /\ Great advice! Your LBS will be a wealth of information!

From your description of the amount of surfaces you want to ride, a robust hybrid could be for you; strong enough for a bit of the 'rough stuff' without all the weight of a Mountain Bike (MTB) with suspension etc.
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Your LBS depends on repeat business, so they are unlikely to push you in a bad direction. Being an uninformed shopper probably won't be a detriment. They should 1) be careful to fit you to a particular bike size and 2) let you demo several bikes. If they don't do both, look for another shop. Be aware that you may not be the best judge of the proper size. At first the best bike position is not necessarily the most comfortable one.
  • kschick46
    kschick46 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good advice. I stopped by my LBS and they did indeed allow me to try out several bikes. I haven't decided which bike I want yet but they still have some 2013 bikes and they are on sale this month to get them off the shelf. I am trying to decide if I want a Giant Cypress Hybrid or a Trek MB they are priced around $350-450. If I go with last years models this would leave me some room to purchase a few extras that dolcezza72 was talking about. Also they said they would do adjustments for free over the next year as the cables stretch and stuff. I am so excited...I just can't wait to get riding!!
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good advice. I stopped by my LBS and they did indeed allow me to try out several bikes. I haven't decided which bike I want yet but they still have some 2013 bikes and they are on sale this month to get them off the shelf. I am trying to decide if I want a Giant Cypress Hybrid or a Trek MB they are priced around $350-450. If I go with last years models this would leave me some room to purchase a few extras that dolcezza72 was talking about. Also they said they would do adjustments for free over the next year as the cables stretch and stuff. I am so excited...I just can't wait to get riding!!

super excited for you to get riding!!!! yay!!!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    I DO support my bike shop. Sometimes on a weekly basis. :blushing:

However, if you aren't totally 100% sure you like riding (yet), then I recommend getting a used bike that is same style/size/fit/etc and get on it and ride. Unless you KNOW you want to ride :laugh: , then go get a bike! :laugh:
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take your bike in for cable stretching issues. Last month, I helped pick up a woman who went over her handlebars because her rear brakes were so loose. She was pretty cut up.

Also, if you have not bike in a long time, it might be worth finding someone to "teach you."

Enjoy. It was by biking that I lost 50 pounds. Now, it is time to get the other 20 off.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am trying to decide if I want a Giant Cypress Hybrid or a Trek MB they are priced around $350-450.

I bought a last year's model of my road bike several years ago. Nothing had changed int he year, so it was worth saving the money. My first bike was a hybrid, and I am glad I had it. I live where there is some gravel. But, the gravel is easy to avoid. In the end, I wished I had gone with a road bike with a bit wider tires. But, that was my only bike for five years. Now, it sits on my trainer. I have a good mountain bike, a good road bike and a very used touring bike to go with it.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    LBS is definitely the way to go to get informed. An alternative to a used bike is a site like www.bikesdirect.com (I am sure there are others, but this is the only one with which I am familiar). These are new bikes, very nice components, and off-brand frames (most frames are manufactured in the same place - China/Taiwan). At least this is what I did. Disclaimer - I have since upgraded / rebuilt my bike (which is powered by the drive train from my original bike.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    LBS is definitely the way to go to get informed. An alternative to a used bike is a site like www.bikesdirect.com (I am sure there are others, but this is the only one with which I am familiar). These are new bikes, very nice components, and off-brand frames (most frames are manufactured in the same place - China/Taiwan). At least this is what I did. Disclaimer - I have since upgraded / rebuilt my bike (which is powered by the drive train from my original bike.

www.bikesdirect,com has very good prices but you should include price for assembly if you are not mechanically inclined or know someone who is. bikesdirect prices are what you expect LBS are paying (excluding bulk discounts). They have no sales force to speak of and limited interaction after the bike is delivered except for warranties. Bike assembly is fairly straight forward but if you don't have the appropriate tools and/or experience, it best left to those that do it for a living. Please note not all LBS are the same and sometime you get what you pay for. Ask around. Contact your local bike club and see who they use or recommend. Just because a LBS carries high end bikes does mean they know what they are doing.