Recipe Throwdown

Options
abs0830
abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
Ok, I thought this might be a good place to put some so that we have a bigger source.

143fe3r.jpg

White fish and Tomato Salsa

Total Time: 19 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 9 min.
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 medium red tomato, finely chopped
1 medium yellow tomato, finely chopped
5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
4 (4-oz.) each white fish fillets (like cod, halibut, or tilapia)

Preparation:
1. Preheat grill or broiler on high.
2. Combine tomatoes, basil, oil, and vinegar in a medium bowl; mix well.
3. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well. Set aside.
4. Top baking sheet with foil. Top with fish and tomato salsa. Pull up sides of foil and close, leaving a small opening at the top.
5. Grill or broil for 7 to 9 minutes. Open foil carefully (steam will come out). Fish should flake easily when tested with a fork.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/recipe/-/rcp/16174/all/4/5

Replies

• Joy_Ryder
    Joy_Ryder Posts: 21
    Options
    This is one of my favorite “go to” meals that’s pretty easy to make and is really good

photo-5.jpg

Ingredients:

A medium sweet potato
    Two 7oz cans of chunk light tuna packed in water
    A teaspoon minced garlic
    ¼ cup diced red onions
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    Salt and pepper for taste

Directions:
    Peel sweet potato and slice into 4-5 equal sections. Boil sweet potato sections in water for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain potato add into a large bowl and mash with a fork. Open canned tuna and drain excess liquid and add to bowl along with garlic, onions, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients and form patties. Heat non-stick pan and add oil. Cook patties 1-2 minutes both sides.

Nutrition Facts:

Serving size 3

Amount per serving
    Calories 217
    Fiber 1.3 grams
    Protein 22.7 grams
    Carbohydrate 8.7 grams
    Fat 10 grams
    Sugar1.8 grams

** recipe courtesy of My Healthy Dish **
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Joy_Ryder - that recipe sounds so good! What do you call it? I have a few sweet potatoes on the counter I need to use up, I think I'll make this tomorrow.
  • Maryam4eva
    Maryam4eva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Delicious meals..yum yum!!!
  • 2Chaotic
    2Chaotic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can see me trying both of those. Thanks!
  • Joy_Ryder
    Joy_Ryder Posts: 21
    Options
    sorry I failed to mention what my above recipe was - it's called "Sweet Potato Tuna Patties"
  • abs0830
    Options
    14klfuu.jpg

Cauliflower Mash
    Total Time: 50 min.
    Prep Time: 5 min.
    Cooking Time: 45 min.
    Yield: 8 servings, ¼ cup each

Ingredients:
    1 (2-lb.) cauliflower, cut into small florets, discard stem
    4 tsp. olive oil
    1 tsp. sea salt
    ¼ tsp. granulated garlic (optional)
    2 Tbsp. low-sodium organic vegetable broth

Preparation:
    1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
    2. Wash cauliflower and pat dry.
    3. Place cauliflower in large baking pan. Drizzle with oil; toss gently to coat. 4. Season with salt and garlic.
    5. Bake, stirring halfway through, for 40 to 45 minutes, or until tender.
    6. Place in food processor; add vegetable broth. Pulse until smooth.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower and it makes a good replacement for potatoes. You could add some garlic cloves while roasting and puree those with the cauliflower. It gives a fuller flavor than garlic powder.
  • SandraJN
    Options
    I hope the photo works.

If someone can tell how to post a photo I will put it up.

If the photo shows up, this is a strawberry clafoutis. This photo isn't the modified version, but I have modified it with success.

Modified Recipe

1 1/4 c milk
    1/3 t stevia
    3 eggs
    1/8 t salt
    1T vanilla
    1/2 c whole grain pastry flour
    1 pint strawberries
    1/3 t stevia

Preheat oven to 350F
    Place milk, eggs, flour, stevia, vanilla and salt in blender, blend
    Pour 1/3-1/2 batter into large buttered tart pan or whatever baking dish you have. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a film of batter sets in the pan.
    Remove from oven and add strawberries (sliced or whole) Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 t of stevia and pour in remaining batter.
    Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until slightly browned and pulling away from edges.
    It's done if a knife comes out clean.
  • nikkieharris1
    nikkieharris1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato tuna patties look very easy as a day after lunch, filling and good. Not sure about cauliflower a lot of effort would a celeriac be better? A great soup on all free recipes . Boil rather than cover in oil in oven
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    it's called "Sweet Potato Tuna Patties"

Had this tonight, it turned out really good! The kids even liked it. I made some adjustments, mainly amounts used and that I used one orange and one white sweet potato because its all I had (didn't realize that white sweets have more calories!). We topped it with avocado, but I think next time I'd like to try it with a home grown tomato too. I might try a binder in it too, like egg white.
  • SandraJN
    Options
    I tried posting a photo again, but it didn't work. I don't know what is up with this forum that it is so difficult.
  • abs0830
    Options
    Pasta-since I was asked. This one is very similiar to what I do. I tend not to measure as much these days, but I've been making pasta since I was 10.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-fresh-pasta-from-scratch-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-73435

How to Make Fresh Pasta from Scratch
    Print this recipe
    Fresh Egg Pasta
    Makes enough for about 4 to 6 servings
    What You Need
    Ingredients
    2 cups flour, plus extra for rolling the pasta
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs

Equipment
    Mixing bowl
    Fork or dough whisk
    Pasta machine (see Additional Notes for rolling pasta by hand)
    Baking sheet
    Clean dishtowel

Instructions
    1. Combine the Flour and Salt: Whisk together the flour and salt with a fork in a medium mixing bowl.

2. Add the Eggs: Create a deep well in the middle of the flour and crack the eggs into this well. Whisk the eggs with the fork to combine.

Note: You can do this on the counter-top "Italian Grandmother Style" if you prefer, but I find it's easier and less messy to do it in a bowl. For food-processor instructions, see below.

3. Begin Combining the Flour and Eggs: As you whisk the eggs, begin gradually pulling in flour from the bottom and sides of the bowl. Don't rush this step. At first, the eggs will start to look like a slurry. Once enough flour has been added, it will start forming a very soft dough. Don't worry if you haven't used all the flour.

4. Knead the Pasta Dough: Turn the dough and any excess flour out onto a clean counter. Begin gently folding the dough on itself, flattening, and folding again. It will be extremely soft at first, then gradually start to firm up. Once it's firm enough to knead, begin kneading the dough. Incorporate more flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking to you or the counter. Slice into the dough with a paring knife; if you see lots of air bubbles, keep kneading. The dough is kneaded when it forms a smooth elastic ball and has very few air bubbles when cut.

5. Rest the Pasta Dough: Clean and dry the mixing bowl. Place the ball of dough inside and cover with a dinner plate or plastic wrap. Rest for at least 30 minutes.

Note: At this point, the pasta dough can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Let it come back to room temperature before rolling.

6. Divide the Pasta Dough: Sprinkle a baking sheet generously with flour and scrape the ball of dough on top (it will stick to the bowl; use a spatula or bowl scraper if necessary). Divide the dough into four equal portions. Dust the portions with flour and cover with a clean dishtowel.

Note: The name of the game at this point is to keep everything well-floured to prevent the pasta from sticking to itself or the roller as you work. If the dough starts to feel sticky as you roll it, sprinkle it with flour. Also sprinkle flour on any pasta you're not working (rolled, cut or otherwise) with and keep it covered with a dishtowel.

7. Begin Rolling Out the Pasta: Set your pasta machine to the thickest setting (usually marked "1"). Flatten one piece of dough into a thick disk between your hands and feed it through the pasta roller. Repeat once or twice. Fold this piece of dough into thirds, like folding a letter, and press it between your hands again. With the pasta machine still on the widest setting, feed the pasta crosswise between the rollers (see picture). Feed it through once or twice more until smooth. If desired, repeat this folding step. This helps to strengthen the gluten in the flour, giving it a chewier texture when cooked.

8. Thin the Pasta: Begin changing the settings on your roller to roll the pasta thinner and thinner. Roll the pasta two or three times at each setting, and don't skip settings (the pasta tends to snag and warp if you do). If the pasta gets too long to be manageable, lay it on a cutting board and slice it in half. Roll the pasta as thin as you like to go. For linguine and fettuccine, I normally go to 6 or 7 on the KitchenAid attachement; for angel hair or stuffed pastas, I go one or two settings thinner.

9. Cut the Pasta: Cut the long stretch of dough into noodle-length sheets, usually about 12-inches. If making filled pasta or lasagna, proceed with shaping. If cutting into noodles, switch from the pasta roller to the noodle cutter, and run the sheet of pasta through the cutter. Toss the noodles with a little flour to keep them from sticking and gather them into a loose basket. Set this basket on the floured baking sheet and cover with a towel while you finish rolling and cutting the rest of the dough.

Note: I find it easiest to roll all the pasta at once before proceeding to cutting it into noodles. I sprinkle the sheets of pasta liberally with flour and overlap them on a floured baking sheet, covered with a towel.

10. Cooking, Drying, or Freezing the Pasta: To cook the pasta immediately, bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt the water, and cook the pasta until al dente, 4-5 minutes. To dry, lay the pasta over a clothes drying rack, coat hangers, or the back of a chair, and let air dry until completely brittle. Store in an airtight container for several weeks. To freeze, either freeze flat in long noodles or in the basket-shape on a baking sheet until completely frozen. Gather into an airtight container and freeze for up to three months. Dried and frozen noodles may need an extra minute or two to cook.

Additional Notes:
    • Pasta Dough in the Food Processor: Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until combined, then run the processor continuously until a dough is formed. Proceed with kneading and shaping the dough as directed.

• Rolling and Cutting Pasta by Hand: It can be done! Divide the dough into four pieces and mimic the action of a pasta roller with a rolling pin. Roll as thin as possible, lifting and moving the dough constantly to make sure it doesn't stick. Sprinkle the dough generously with flour and then gently roll it up. Use a very sharp chef knife to cut the roll cross-wise into equal-sized noodles. Shake out the coils, toss with flour, and proceed with cooking.

2enz67m.jpg
  • caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Abbie, thanks for the pasta recipe!!
  • abs0830
    Options
    So my sister just told me this one.

Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with Honey.

Delish!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    This was tonight's dinner. I found it on Pinterest.

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-sloppy-joes/

sloppy-joes-v-.jpg

Clean Eating Sloppy Joes

(Makes about 8 sloppy joes – depending on how “sloppy” you like them)
    Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey meat (use TVP if you’re vegetarian)
    1 (15 ounces) can tomato sauce, no sugar added
    1/2 cup clean ketchup (I use the OrganicVille brand)
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 medium green bell pepper
    1 medium red bell pepper

It was pretty tasty!