1 Hour Glucose Test

Options
Erindolly
Erindolly Posts: 35 Member
Anyone else fail the 1 hour glucose test? I failed mine with a 143 --there is no history of diabetes in my family, and I was a tad overweight before pregnancy, but not too much. I have gained 26 lbs at 30 weeks, so I feel like my weight gain is on the high side of on track. I have really been trying to keep active and eat relatively healthy--although I have consumed far too much ice cream.

I am really hoping I do not fail the 3 hour test--have any of you failed the 1 hour, but passed the 3 hour? I know it is common to fail the 1 hour test, but I can't help feeling down and worried.

Replies

• meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I failed the 1 hour this time around. (Never had a problem with my past two pregnancies, but I always took it first thing in the morning). For some reason, they had me take it in the afternoon after I'd eaten breakfast and drank my really sugary coffee. My level was a 190! I had my other midwife test me with a finger prick an hour after eating this weekend and my blood sugar was totally normal! I did take the 3 hour test yesterday and haven't gotten the results back yet, but I'm not worried. I heard most women who fail the 1 hour end up passing the 3 hour. Plus, making you drink a synthetic super sugary drink is a really stupid way of testing what your blood sugar levels are on a regular basis!

And weight gain has nothing to do with GD, so don't worry about that! It affects women of all builds and has to do with the placenta messing up insulin production. If you don't eat tons of sugar or carbs, you ought to be fine! Just make sure you eat a lot of protein. I always gain more than the "recommended" amount, but its from eating lots of healthy stuff, so I don't care! lol :)
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I just actually got the results from the 3 hour and all was perfect! So I think you'll be fine! :)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My doctor's office has patients take the one hour twice - once at like 10 weeks and once around 28 weeks. At 10 weeks, I failed the one hour but passed the three hour. At 28 weeks, I went straight to the three hour (because of failing the one hour earlier) and failed. But just barely. I was able to control my sugar through diet and exercise.
  • Erindolly
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It does seem like a stupid way of measuring your glucose--seems like they should just measure you after a normal meal instead. I think you are probably right--I probably won't have an issue with the three hour (fingers crossed). I will just try to eat healthy and not eat too many refined carbs--outside of that it isn't within my control I guess either. I am glad you had no problems with your three hour test! It is nerve racking the way they do it. Seems like the 1 hour test isn't really a good way to test since so many people fail--it is just giving pregnant women anxiety.
  • Erindolly
    Options
    I just actually got the results from the 3 hour and all was perfect! So I think you'll be fine! :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. It does seem like a stupid way of measuring your glucose--seems like they should just measure you after a normal meal instead. I think you are probably right--I probably won't have an issue with the three hour (fingers crossed). I will just try to eat healthy and not eat too many refined carbs--outside of that it isn't within my control I guess either. I am glad you had no problems with your three hour test! It is nerve racking the way they do it. Seems like the 1 hour test isn't really a good way to test since so many people fail--it is just giving pregnant women anxiety.