You can't exercise your way to weight loss!

Options
AliceNov2011
AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
My friends get frustrated because they workout like crazy, eat right, and don't lose weight. But it's common knowledge now that you can't exercise your way to weight loss. And if you're working out hard, you're probably eating more (and possibly worse) because working out makes you hungry. You're better off walking, doing yoga or Pilates, or whatever makes you HAPPY, and eating at a deficit. Don't make yourself miserable. Because misery loves fast food. ;0)

https://www.facebook.com/alicesrestaurant33/posts/699491760116809

Replies

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    I agree Alice.

It took me a long time and reading a lot on the message boards here to come to that conclusion too. Always in the past any diet program always threw in the" if you want to lose faster you have to exercise" clause and I believed them.

The truth is you diet for weight loss, you work out for fitness.

Love that statement, "Because misery loves fast food." :laugh:
  • annesoucy57
    Options
    loved your quote.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Agree, but wow, does exercise help me sleep!
  • Susie0307
    Susie0307 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have always found this true. I went to a gym for a year - built up endurance on the elliptical etc., but didn't lose 1 lb. It made me much hungrier. During my recent SUCCESSFUL weight loss journey, I rarely exercised except for walking. I was never hungry and never felt deprived. Now I'm working out to tone up.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Sharing this ---C &P from a post here --This from a 25 year old----to me "age" so important in that i had no trouble maintaining a small profile until about 55:

ROBOTFOOD
    Joined Oct 2013
    June 12, 2014 2:08 PM
    Carbs don't make you fat.
    Caloric surplus does.

I load up on mtns of carbs daily to fuel my distance running and other workouts. I've always stayed thin. Too thin. (working on it)
    It's because I end up in a deficit after excercise and I'm unable to shovel in 4000+ cals to maintain.
  • andreavarangu
    andreavarangu Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Sharing this ---C &P from a post here --This from a 25 year old----to me "age" so important in that i had no trouble maintaining a small profile until about 55:

ROBOTFOOD
    Joined Oct 2013
    June 12, 2014 2:08 PM
    Carbs don't make you fat.
    Caloric surplus does.

I load up on mtns of carbs daily to fuel my distance running and other workouts. I've always stayed thin. Too thin. (working on it)
    It's because I end up in a deficit after excercise and I'm unable to shovel in 4000+ cals to maintain.

Linia,
    That puts it into perspective, doesn't it?
    Thanks for sharing.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist echoes your comments - focus on food mostly. Exercise is wonderful for many reasons (mood, sleep, bone strength, toning)- but will not be the main reason I lose weight. Especially since I am in my 50s. She wants me to pay attention to food - and exercise when I can.

Thanks for the reminder.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear this as due to disabilty I can't do these excessive workouts like 30 day shred and weight lifting, running miles etc.

I have to use a wheelchair to go anywhere.

I do use some pedals called passive trainer they are motorised and help my legs pedals as I don't have fluent enough movements. although I haven't lost loads from this they do help reduce muscle spasms in legs and has had other health improvements as it activates a different area of the brain (part that controls involuntary movement) as the motorised element of it making me pedal faster than I would be able to myself has other effects like reducing involuntary movements such as intention tremor. previously I struggled to write my signature cos when tried to pick up a pen and my arm locks up and my hand just shook. ...Now I can write for short while (like birthday cards, short lists etc :) .. and unexpected side effect my speech improved slightly.

The Forced Exerise theory is used for patients with Parkinsons Disease and had been quite successful. I have a rare cerebellar Ataxia mixed with Dystonia (both neurological/movement disorders).

My thyrroid and fibroids I think make it harder for me to lose weight, not to mention the peri-menopause and cravings driving me nuts..lol! :noway:
  • shunyata13
    shunyata13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Shakybabe, I know where you are coming from. I have had my share of health issues in the last few years, car accident, numerous surgeries, etc where my body would rebel if I walked too fast. My chiropractor told me to to go for a saunter not a walk or fast walk for short periods of time. That seemed to help. But, just when I would start to get better, I would be in the hospital for something. In 2012 I was in there for 2 straight months and needed a walker when I came home. This year I had to have my gallbladder out the old fashioned way and they found a stone was also in my bile duct. I needed to have a tube for a while but I am doing better now. I have finally been able to do low impact aerobics for 30 minutes and I feel proud of where I am now compared to where I have been. I do mix it up with tai chi for stretching and core strengthening/balance since my body can't take a lot of bouncing around. I even started using a hula hoop and it is helping with all the scar tissue in my belly. My weight has gone up and down through all of this but I am back on track and losing weight again. Some of us have a bigger burden in some areas compared to others and my friends will say I passed God's test. I told them that I am into the extra credit questions by now and I don't want to end up with a high score! LOL Stay with what works for you and you will succeed.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    I am glad to hear that my experience in the past with exercise was not unusual. I admit I felt better after getting in better shape but no weight comes off unless I also eat a lot less than what I had been eating. I prefer things like walking and yoga anyway so this makes me happy to hear!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree. exercise is very, very good for a lot of different reasons......but not for weight loss. weight loss is all about the food.