PC Gamers: What is your opinion on F2P/P2W?

Options
Those of you who play PC games will know what I mean. Over the past few years there has been a growing trend of multiplayer online games which are free to download and free to play, but rewards people who engage in microtransactions (purchasing additional in-game items/content) with a competitive edge. In some cases (such as in my current favorite game, Mechwarrior Online), this advantage is not so significant that more skilled player can't still win. In others, however, it is quite significant and no amount of skill is sufficient to overcome the advantage.

What is your view on this growing trend in the gaming world?

Personally I like it and I think it's the way to go. I think that it's a better alternative than giving you a "trial" version of a game because you get a chance to experience everything the game has to offer, right up to endgame content in some cases, without putting down a dime. You just can't operate at a competitive level and customization options are usually limited.

So what's your opinion on this?

Replies

• GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great option for all PC gamers. For example, Runescape, I have a paid account but my kids do not. They enjoy the free to play and we still play together. Granted, they can't do all the things I can, at their level of gaming it's perfect!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I haven't found one yet that is engaging enough to get me to actually shell out money, which means I'm at the mercy of those who have bought power ups and upgrades and whatnot.

Maybe that changes when Elder Scrolls Online is released for next-fen consoles, I don't know...
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I only play F2P/B2P since I would never pay for a sub. The ones I play don't seem P2W though. I've bought content and fluff but nothing I couldn't have gotten with their optional sub or couldn't have lived without. I wouldn't be playing any of the online games I play if they required a sub. I think this is way to go for the future. It just gives players more options for how they want to spend their money on the games they like.
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I’ve played both, and i can tell you the paid subs have a higher quality of feel to them. The F2P ones feel like a carrot on a stick, which can work if you just want to wile the time away. Having played rift, wow, neverwinter, dungeons and dragons online, and a few lesser ones, the F2P ones have always felt hallow. Almost like you know you are not getting the full experience.
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I prefer the sub method. I've in the past subbed to Everquest, EQ2, Eve, and now Rift. Sub method generally is a better quality game, and the community is nicer and has more vested in the game

None of the games I played started as F2P as you can see. I'm really sad that RIFT went F2p, since it has, I barely ever log in anymore and will probably let my sub expire.

The thing I don't like is you can't tell who "earned" their gear, their mount, their fluff, by actually playing the game and going thru content, vs. those who bought it. Not that in the grand scheme of things it really matters. But if I'm going into a dungeon or a raid, it would be nice to know the tank actually earned that shiny dungeon gear vs. bought it off the rack. Shows me he at least knows how to keep aggro and keep me alive.

Eve is the last true Sub game, I finally let it go after 6 years because I couldn't devote the time to it anymore.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I prefer the sub method. I've in the past subbed to Everquest, EQ2, Eve, and now Rift. Sub method generally is a better quality game, and the community is nicer and has more vested in the game

None of the games I played started as F2P as you can see. I'm really sad that RIFT went F2p, since it has, I barely ever log in anymore and will probably let my sub expire.

The thing I don't like is you can't tell who "earned" their gear, their mount, their fluff, by actually playing the game and going thru content, vs. those who bought it. Not that in the grand scheme of things it really matters. But if I'm going into a dungeon or a raid, it would be nice to know the tank actually earned that shiny dungeon gear vs. bought it off the rack. Shows me he at least knows how to keep aggro and keep me alive.

Eve is the last true Sub game, I finally let it go after 6 years because I couldn't devote the time to it anymore.

I used to play Eve. I sold my account because the playerbase as a whole was ruining the game for me. MMO games in general tend to be bad about this but Eve was the worst. It seems that it's difficult to find players who are good enough to play at the high level but at the same time don't take the game too seriously.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I prefer the sub method, too. I've tried the F2P thing, but the games just feel... off to me. Due to my current financial situation, f2p is probably the better option for me. But I still can't get into them enough to justify spending any money on them whatsoever. In my personal experience, games that require a subscription are easier to follow and far more in depth. The community, also, seems more loyal in most cases (with some exceptions, of course). I always hated that with F2P, I always knew I wasn't experiencing everything without buying more. It kind of makes me feel like I HAVE to buy more. Except, I can't always afford to. I'm more of a subscription player. I don't mind that I have to go months without playing sometimes due to lack of funds. I'll take that big gap of not playing if it means I enjoy the quality and the community more.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I prefer the sub as well. I've has subs for eq, eq2, eve, wow ... and it was always ideal. $15 for unlimited entertainment and access to everything in game. But i've canceled all my subs at this time ... just isn't in the budget I guess.

I've been playing Path of Exile on steam now. For those who like F2P but not P2W.. this is the game. The only items you can buy are things that are not character enhancing (skins for spells, guild tabs, vanity pets ect). And it's crazy fun. It's everything that D3 wanted to be buy failed at.
  • NyssaDuck
    NyssaDuck Posts: 50
    Options
    I don't mind F2P games, but I don't like P2W games. I've spent money on games like Path of Exile and Dota 2 but only because they're the only two games so far I think actually do it right (cosmetic items, access to everything else eg you get access to every hero in Dota 2). I think the F2P model is great when done right, but unfortunately the majority are P2W and I don't think those are really a positive for the gaming community.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think they both have there place in the gaming society, and really just depends on the gamer which works better for them. I have played both sub and F2P.

WoW was a sub game that I really enjoyed through college.

League of Legends (LoL) is a current F2P that I enjoy. I like the fact that it isn't P2W, as the stuff you can buy is all about customization. I haven't spent a dime on the game to date, but still get to play the same way the tournament guys do...I just may not look as cool is all.

Then there are the games like one I used to play, Puzzle Pirates. They had both subscriber oceans and F2P oceans that you could buy what you wanted. I really liked that system...same game, what matters most to you? If you wanted everything at your fingertips, you paid the subscription fee and went on with your life. If you didn't want all the colorful clothes and pets and such, you went with the F2P ocean that you could buy anything in you really wanted.

The one unique thing I really still like about PP and their F2P system is that you can exchange in-game currency (Gold) for Dubloons (the currency you receive when you pay cash). So you could technically get everything without paying a dime, but would just take you forever.
  • Kyronos82
    Kyronos82 Posts: 2
    Options
    Personally, I like and prefer F2P. I already pay for internet and console games as well as a Live subscription and don't feel the need to spend more on digital or computer games in that sense. Aura Kingdom has a currency also very similar to that of the game cards or digital currency ingame also. I don't feel that F2P takes away from the fun factor and such either. The paying players in some games do make the game less enjoyable in some areas but I believe that those who subscribe to a game are also fine and dandy and do not ruin the fun factor and such. To each their own there.
  • alodiaa
    alodiaa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love F2P games, especially MOBAs, but if the F2P element is such that the free players can't win then I think it's a badly designed game. People aren't going to pay money for a game that they've only had bad experiences with. Personally I'd rather pay for a game or be able to earn a lot of the same things as you can pay for.

MOBAs are great because really all you need to pay for are usually skins and in Smite you can even earn a lot of those.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'd rather pay for a game so that everyone has the same content available plus the developers get what they deserve. I do end up playing F2P games like right now I am playing loadout on steam. It's a pretty fun game...
  • minx112
    minx112 Posts: 13
    Options
    In general, I prefer to outright buy a game than have a free to play business model. However, there are games that ahve had that business model and have done wonders with it, using LoL as an example. The line of when it's bad is when paying actual money becomes necessary, and that's hard to define sometimes, but as a rule of thumb, if money is only for cosmetic things, or to save maybe an hour or two (and not whole days or weeks, at that point it becomes necessary) then it's perfectly fine, because it's totally on the player to pay.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    That's why I like Rift so much. F2P, with only (essentially) cosmetic items (WARDROBE <3), exp pots, some mounts (pretty but unnecessary), etc to pay for (basically just additional items, not anything the prohibits competitive play), and they (Trion) have a system to buy the Store "gems" with in-game currency. So if you really don't want to use RL money, it takes some effort, but not a lot to save up money to by store gems. I also don't mind spending some RL money to support the developers of the game.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'll just echo what others have already said... I prefer F2P and it is the future for PC gaming. More and more games are going that way. P2W; however, is terrible.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer to buy a game righout but I can't do that and chat with others.

I simply can't afford to sub to ALOT of games so I need b2p or f2p if I want to check out those games. Is it the best? No I don't think so but unless games want to start offering 5 dollar subs, I'm not even going to give them a chance without it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I love F2P, hate P2W. I don't have a single **** to give if a developer wants to charge for vanity or customisation options, so long as any paid-for features do not affect my gameplay.
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    It's killing the MMO world! Worst idea ever!