Was really hoping ...

Options

Replies

• janet41283
    janet41283 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Just saw your posts and thought of kale. Haha. Anyway, do you roast kale? It is really delicious. I buy tons of it and roast it and it becomes kale chips. I find it to be crunchy and a nice side dish instead of potatoes or potato chips. The only bad thing is it sticks to your teeth. So you have little green things in your teeth that you have to be careful of! Kind of unattractive. Eat it at home!!! Just a thought...
  • djcangel
    djcangel Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I never tried kale...I eat mustard and turnip greens, is kale anything like that? How do you make it into chips? Or am I way off base on what kale is?
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have also wanted to try kale chips.

DJ, I have been buying mostly from the same vendor for several years. I pay her kids to shuck and shell. Did get some okra today too. It just started coming in and is nice and small. I love it in soup and boiled. Husband ad daughter REALLY like it fried. I try and resist, and also use as little oil as possible with one of my trusty inherited iron skillets. If I eat the fried it has to be on a day of high exercise.
    Wow you are so smart with the canning!
  • thin4me59
    thin4me59 Posts: 73
    Options
    I would like to be active also!
  • djcangel
    Options
    Tsk...Not smart, just taught young by my grandma and it's kind of like 'riding a bike' I never forgot how. Hope Jan checks in and clues us in to how to do those Kale Chips. Yum, fried okra. It is the only way my hubby likes it, but I love it in soup, in stew, and pickled. Well I see we have a new interest peoples...got to welcome them proper... talk to you soon tsk, be well. dj

HI THIN4ME, Welcome :flowerforyou: , Tell us how you are doing, rant/rave, kick your shoes off and stay awhile. So glad you checked in and decided to join us. Hope to get to know you better, and share your journey as we all try to get to a better us! Please check in often, so we can keep in touch. Best wishes, dj.

Hey, Sorry I was out of the loop for so long today girls...but...MY NEW ELLIPTICAL CAME TODAY...:smile::happy: :bigsmile: Only it came in about 15 separate pieces that had to be assembled, and of course a few of the directions were not entirely translated into correct English, lol. But after about 5 hours, success and all the functions are working. It has time, distance, speed, calories used, total distance and heart rate. I love it. I was up to walking outdoors for 3 miles in an hour, before I had my little set back, so I thought,' I'll just jump on this elliptical and go for broke. Well I was broke in about 5 minutes, it is so different than just walking on level ground. I am taking baby steps, do not want any set backs from over doing. But I am super excited and will record my first little elliptical experience tomorrow. Have a great night girls. Peace and Hugs, dj.
  • DarrylsGinger
    DarrylsGinger Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! I've been looking for a group that's a bit like me and hoping this one is it. I'm 51 for another few months and need to lose about 100 pounds more than the 27 I've dropped since the end of May. My husband is also working out and trying to lose 50 but he's not really very good at the support thing for others.
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hello DarrylsGinger, How are things with you? Welcome to the group. We look forward to getting to know you better, and share your path to a better you. Please drop in often and keep in touch on how it's going and your ups and downs and all arounds. Have a Great Day and a Better Tomorrow. dj
  • janet41283
    Options
    Hi All! Welcome Darryls and hello to tsp and dj! Hope I am not forgetting anyone. Well, it is Friday and I am off to the beach. I look forward to it since it is a perfect day! My friends have a lovely house right across the street from the beach so it is convenient. Hubby is on his camping trip, and I have plans while he is gone. I have to say I am pretty sick about all the horrible things going on all over the world. Very disturbing and my mind is on those tragedies. Now, on to kale. Remove the big stem, wash the leaves, dry them thoroughly (I buy the already washed) then toss it around with a little olive oil and sea salt. Put only one layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 15-20 min. Check the oven often. They will shrivel up and shrink greatly. When they feel crunchy, they are done!! Dj, enjoy the elliptical! I know you were excited about it. Darryls, keep up the good work! We are hear to support you! Tsk, anything fried is tasty, right? It sounds delicious. Have a wonderful day everyone!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hello all from Ontario, Canada. I don't check the forums very often because I use the apps quite a lot, rather than the website, but I'm happy to see an active group here. I love all the vegetable talk, too. I just had my first visit to a local CSA market yesterday and got the best spinach ever. I got quite a lot because I was going to cook some, but it was outstanding in a salad. Thanks, Toni, for the kale chips instructions, because I got kale too, and thought I'd try making some. We've had cool, wet weather alternating with hot, sunny days and everything is incredibly green here. Our own little garden is overflowing with foliage and if all those blossoms set, I may be leaving cucumbers on the neighbours doorsteps later in the summer. Isn't this just the best time of year to eat?? Of course, eating is what brought me to MFP! I have been on for over two years and although I have further to go, have managed to keep 40 lb off for quite some time. Just now, I'm feeling more motivated to really get back at it and go for the next 20-30. My DH gave me a fitbit for my birthday and I'm hoping it will be a motivating device. So far, so good!
    I'll try to check in more often! Have a good weekend, everyone.
  • djcangel
    Options
    Bye Jan, Have a Great Time at the Beach! Thanks for the Kale instructions, I will def. try those. Be Safe on your weekend. dj.

Hey Marsellient, Thank you for checking in with us. Sounds like your weather is a lot like where my daughter lives in Vermont, although for this South Texas girl...I would not call anything I every experienced there, HOT, lol. I did not grow cucumbers this year, till about a month ago, I still had some frozen from last year, and I too gave away cukes to neighbors, and still had them, and had them. GREAT on keeping the 40 pounds off, that is a wonderful accomplishment. Good to have you back and posting, looking forward to hearing more about you, and Canada!!! Have a super weekend, dj.

Well, all...I am so sore today I can't touch myself with a powder puff. I must have been up and down, on and off floor, bending, twisting and torqueing for a good long time putting together my elliptical. But I would have no clue how to log that, so I'll just suck it up and try to get on and exercise a little later today, after the old bones loosen up a bit. I woke to a wicked thunderstorm at 3:00 a.m. and was up for about an hour waiting for it to pass. One of my dogs is terrified of lighting and thunder, and I had to put the bowls under the few drips we have. Well hubby just got back from store so time to cook breakfast. Will check in later. Peace and Hugs, dj.
  • DarrylsGinger
    Options
    Good morning and happy Friday to all! It's a blustery, wet day here in north Louisiana so I'll stick to indoor projects until I have to go to the grocery store later. Am currently redoing the bathroom and the floor has my attention at the moment... busting up old tiles to put in new ones.

You would think living in the middle of farm lands that I'd have access to lots of fresh veggies but that is not the case unfortunately. We live in a very small town (500 people) with two slightly larger ones (5000 each) on each side. Stores don't carry much either so I travel about an hour every few weeks to get my faves... asparagus, corn, brussel sprouts, etc. A slight healthy cooking obstacle stuck its way into my path this week when my oven stopped working. Since we just paid for the new bathroom fixtures I'm trying to hold off as long as possible before replacing it but I don't know how long I'll last. lol I really love to bake/roast.

Love to hear talk of the beach! I'm a relatively recent transplant from central Florida so it's one of my favorite spots in the world. Enjoy the sun and the sounds from the waves!

Sandy
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ginger and thin4me. Thanks marsellient for checking in.
    It is much cooler here today and when it stops drizzling rain, I am going for a walk with Daisy.
    Thanks for the Kale recipe. I am going to find some and make these. Maybe I will try some spices like cumin on some. I love cumin.
    My name is Toni, and feel free to add me. Losing is a slow proposition for me this go around. I probably lost about 15 before I could face the scale. Started doing this Jan. 5 and weighing mid Feb. Seems 4-5 a month is all I can do.
    Good luck with the elliptical, DJ. My cucumbers dried up shortly after flowering.
    Renovations are such a pain, Ginger, but the end is generally worth the means. I would think you would have all kinds of veggies around in north LA. Farmers markets are abundant around here. You just need to avoid the ones on I65S close to the interstate which are tourist traps. Tomatoes are $6 a basket, and are $3 in the real farmers markets.
    Well, I have a bushel of shelled peas and half a bushel of corn calling me to get in the freezer.
    Hope everyone s having a great day!
  • djcangel
    Options
    Sandy, I think living in Louisiana would be awesome, wouldn't it be like a day trip to get to the coast? I live 150 miles from the Corpus Christi coast, and plan on visiting in Sept. after school is back in session and the rates go down. I was born in the Texas coast area, and moved back alone some 24 years ago, but moved back kind of in between Big City and Coast. My heart will always long to be back there. It takes a lot of time to do it yourself, home improvements, we have been working on our roof for this whole year, and it still isn't done. And of Course When It Rains It Pours, and when you fix one thing, Murphys' Law goes into effect and something else will always come up. Lots of patience and Luck to you in that endeavor. I would think that Florida would be much more expensive to live in than Louisiana, and I love everything Cajun, so I think I'd fit right in where you are now. Good luck with the oven. Have an excellent weekend. dj

Toni, looks like all of us are getting some of this rain. I love cumin too, the little town I live in, you can not throw a stick without hitting a Mexican restaurant, which is great, cause I love jalapenos, onion, tomato and garlic which Mexican food uses in everything and cumin too, but they call it cumino. I am having a slow go of weight lose this time around too, disability and retirement are not helping, but keep your chin up and we will muddle through, and keep in touch so we can encourage and share with you. Have a Wonderous Weekend, dj.
  • janet41283
    Options
    Hi Sandy, Toni, Ginger, DJ, marsellient, thin, and I hope I didn't leave anyone else out! I love reading all the posts and learning. It is motivating to see how well everyone is doing, and also helpful when someone isn't "perfect" and I can see we are all in the same boat. Good to know I'm not alone! Had a glorious day at the beach with my friends yesterday. They have an awesome home right across the street from the sand!! It was a fun day. Unfortunately, my friend canceled on me for the rest of the weekend. Hubby is away camping and my friend was supposed to come today and stay into tomorrow. I can amuse myself, I guess! Wish I were the type to go to a movie on my own. Anyone ever do that? All my other friends already have plans. Should I try it??? What do you think? Big hugs to all for a lovely Saturday!
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hi Jan, If I went somewhere, anywhere, by myself at this point in my life, I think that my husband would call out the national guard and have a ground and air search for me, lol. I am truly hoping that when I get my lifestyle change more under control that I will be able to go places alone again. Meanwhile, as for you, go for it girl, then I will be encouraged to try it also. Then again my hubby is retired so, why should I go alone? We enjoy each others company, and I have always preferred the companionship of NOT being alone, and I enjoy my own company and I am basically a home body, so it isn't so bad being alone...or at least that is how my mind set usually talks me out of going out alone. So glad you had a great time at the beach, was the shelling any good? Too bad you couldn't just stay the weekend out at the beach. Well, Best of Luck on trying something on your own, Have A Super Weekend! dj
  • DarrylsGinger
    Options
    Jan.. I say go for it! My new abode is in a very clique-ish place where everyone has known everyone since before they were born so newbies are pretty much strangers for the first 20 years. Hubby doesn't like to go places so I'm a loner for the most part. Use your time alone to do something just for yourself. Go to a movie. Hang out in a bookstore. Get a massage. Do something to reward yourself for all of your hard work. You deserve it!

Sandy
  • janet41283
    Options
    You guys are great! Love your input. I'm not sure what I will do, but it is a funny thing. I can do most things on my own, but not the movies. Isn't that odd?? I wish my friend didn't cancel on me so last minute. I would have stayed at the beach!! Oh well, bigger problems in life. I love checking in here and seeing what everyone is up to!
  • djcangel
    Options
    With me it is driving in a city, Not scared of the traffic, I am a good driver and never had a ticket. But I have no sense of direction, and I am terrified of getting lost. We all have our demons we must battle!!!
  • DarrylsGinger
    Options
    Dj.. that's why I use a garmin talking GPS. It tells me where I'll be turning next so I can be in the right lane, etc. I got one when I started driving from Florida to Louisiana and back. It's been a life saver.
  • djcangel
    Options
    Sandy, LOL, once when in San Antonio, Texas, I was using MapQuest directions and following them to the letter...ended up at a culvert, dead-end. Then decided to just turn around and come home, same directions in reverse, and the highway had been closed and a detour sign put up...I took detour, and about a half hour later, pulled into a convenience store to use a pay phone (remember those?) and called my husband in tears...he figured out where I was and got me home. Now days thanks to the cell phone I can usually get help before I am reduced to tears, but since I don't go myself that often and my hubby does not need it, we do not have a GPS. Our vehicle has the option if we want to pay for the service. I would have to get it , if I traveled more often, funny thing is, I can travel clear across the country and back if I do not have to get off the highways...it is only inside the cities, that I totally lose directions.