Opinions on a used bike for hubby...

Options
rides4sanity
rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
A local I've ridden with a few times is selling, and I'll definitely have Tim test ride if I decide to get it, but I don't truly know much about bikes. Tim has been considering riding some so I fixed up my old LeMond for him, but this sounds pretty good. Here is Nat's message. Any thoughts...

I am looking to pare down my stable a bit and sell my Cannondale 2010 Six 3 Road bike. Size 54. SRAM Force Shifters, Mavic Ksyrium wheelset. $600 OBO. Message me for additional details. I may also be interested in selling the wheelset alone. Thanks!

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Take a look & a ride - if it suits, go for it... Ask the seller if he wouldn't mind an independent LBS looking over it (as you don't know your way around bikes etc.)

If they're genuine, I'm sure they wouldn't mind...

Just my $0.02 worth :happy:
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This depends on how tall your partner is, as a 54 fram is a bit on the small side for a taller rider, I am 6"1 and need a 56 or 58 depending on the make of bike. I have a TT bike that is a 54 but this is all about speed and getting compact so a smaller frame is the norm.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    He's only 5'8", with shorter legs. I'm actually worried it will be too large as he fits pretty well on my LeMond which is a 52"
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Take a look & a ride - if it suits, go for it... Ask the seller if he wouldn't mind an independent LBS looking over it (as you don't know your way around bikes etc.)

If they're genuine, I'm sure they wouldn't mind...

Just my $0.02 worth :happy:

Nat will expect me to have it checked out that isn't an issue. I just wondered if that was a good bike and a good price.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    The bike shop should be able to take some quick measurements and tell you if it's too tall. I have one 54cm and one 52cm bike. I'm 5'6" tall so it should be right in there but the bike shop should be able to tell you if it's the right size and what kind of shape it's in. $600 seems pretty reasonable for that bike. How many miles does he have on it? That might change what you pay since the more miles it has, the more you can expect to have to replace things.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Assuming that is the Carbon frame, then it sounds like a great price with two caveats:
    1. Be absolutely sure that the carbon isn't cracked
    2. The Cannondale Six 3 is going to be a very stiff frame with an aggressive racing position

I've never used SRAM Force but I am told that SRAM is usually either a love/hate relationship especially with the right shifter.

I've had a set of Kysrium Equippe rims that were given to me. They handled my weight well until after 5,000 miles the spokes developed fractures stress cracks in the rim rendering it unusable. I don't know how many miles were on the rims previously so this could have been well within the life-cycle expectations and the rims did not fail even though I did some 50mph descents the weekend before the cracks were discovered.

If he can ride the bike and likes the ride, then I'd buy.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I took a punt on a second hand cheaper Giant TCR as a backup bike and it's been flawless, it had been used for some TT racing occasionally, the way I see it is if the Frame is sound everything else is replaceable, as Dahamac puts it check the frame for cracks or anything untoward, if that's sound and it's a bargain then go for it.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If he is 5'8" with shorter legs then the 54 might work. The price is good (for a bike without frame damage) but a waste if the bike doesn't fit. Best thing to do would be for him to test it on a trainer and get it dialed in and then see how it feels (even better to have a bike shop be in on the fitting). To set up the seat in relation to the pedals I use a plumb line from the knee cap running a string down to hit the middle of the spindle. As far as seat height goes, I try to make sure that the leg is not able to lock out straight unless the heel is dropped, just a touch of leg bend with the shoe flat at full extension.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The critical point is inseam. You can have shorter legs and need a small frame but you will find then you need a longer top tube. For point of reference, I'm the same height as your husband. My inseam is 27.5" and I ride a XS BH frame.

I have a Cdale Super Six hanging in the garage and it is a 48cm. I ran slammed stacks on both bikes and not much seat post extending out. I'm very flexible and lean toward agressive frame geometry. I can ride all day and not become uncomfortable. YMMV.