How long did it take for you to notice a difference?

Options
ninjapixie87
ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
Hi, new crossfitter here.

I was just wondering how long it took (for those of you who weren't "fit" to begin with) doing crossfit to notice a difference. Both in performance and appearance.

(I know, everyone will be different and it depends an a lot of factors, but I'm curious.) :smile:

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    In performance, a month? In appearance a few months. When I started dialing in my diet the appearance approved dramatically.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I find this to be pretty true with any change in fitness routine

a2d14eb9e72205581ff80ee5f1fcd05a.jpg
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I felt results within a month, but in terms of appearance, I would say that took about 2 months of consistently WODing about 5-6 days a week + eating on a deficit.
  • mike2lane
    mike2lane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am now in my 8th week of Crossfit ("CF"), and I have noticed some major differences, but I made major changes at week 4 that have significantly accelerated my results. I started CF at 235 lbs (I am 5'11", male). I began pre-cooking all my meals for the week and gauged my macro nutrient goals using an online calculator (http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/). Following this caloric measure, even by week 2, I could feel my muscles getting firmer, but I weighed and looked about the same. After week 4, I had only lost 5 lbs, but I was 2 inches smaller on my waist. At week 4, as I became comfortable getting through a WoD without getting completely gassed, I determined that the extra 45 lbs had to GO in order for me to improve on body-weight exercises like pull ups, burpees, TTBs, etc., so I kicked it up a notch and went Paleo-ish by (1) reducing my calories by another 500/day down to 1500/day; (2) ordering from a food delivery company; (3) buying a 50/50 Whey/Casein blend protein powder to get me through the hunger periods and bedtime; and (4) a post-recovery shake with carbs to accelerate recovery, so I could push 5 classes per week. Now, 4 weeks after that increase and perfect attendance on M,T, Th, F, Sa WODs, I have dropped an additional 15 lbs, can do pull ups, had to pull out all my old undergrad-sized clothes (waist down a total of 4 inches), and last week, random people like my doormen, the lady at the deli and my employees all started making comments on my appearance.

I know this was somewhat long, but I wanted to convey to you the importance that I have found diet and consistency plays in seeing results. Good luck!!!

Michael

TL;DR I wasn't seeing results, so I focused more on diet, and results came quick.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Tell me more about this food delivery service?
  • mike2lane
    mike2lane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are several healthy (paleo/zone/keto) options where I live (NYC), but I use the one that delivers to my box. They are called Kettlebell Kitchen https://kettlebellkitchen.com/ I find that even their "medium" meals are large enough to split into two meals, so it ends up costing me about $5.50 per meal, which isn't bad for Manhattan. The taste is decent. Plus, I don't have to go shopping, which is like a dream come true! There is also Custom Fit Meals, but I cannot vouch for them.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Performance-wise, I improved my baseline by a minute & 30 seconds in the first six weeks. I am 41. I have no athletic background other than recreational pole dancing, yoga, hiking, and weight machines/dumbbells---super casual and very off and on. I have been Crossfitting for 10 months and started my power cleans at 25 pounds. I now use 95# or 105# in a WOD and can do 135# for singles. I started Rxing many workouts without a lot of gymnastic elements in month 4. I can do about 10 double unders unbroken. Started with knee pushups and can now do 30 regular unbroken. I can do a pistol on my left leg and a handstand pushup, toes to bar, etc. I had never done anything with barbells and I expect to deadlift 300 by Labor Day. I took 3 minutes off my previous year's mountain trail run 5K time in May (month 7). Right now I am usually in the top 5 women in my box if the workout is not pull-up or wall-ball focused (my goat). I feel good about this since most of them are much younger than me.

I have essentially not lost any weight in CF. I have dramatically changed my body comp though. I do supplemental strength training at the gym and in an oly class 4-5 days per week as well. People do stop me a lot and ask me what I've done to change my appearance and they think I've lost a lot of weight. Those who don't know me ask me, "What are you?" because I look like I do something athletic but they don't quite know what it is because they're not accustomed to seeing women with muscles.

My only real problem has been pull ups. I am literally no closer to being able to do pull ups now than when I started, actually maybe less because I came to CF from pole dancing. As the amount of weight I can push lift has increased/my pulling power has not changed. I am reluctant to want to drop my own weight to get pull ups and also to decrease the amount of weight I'm lifting. I've fallen in love with weightlifting and struggle with whether to make power lifting my focus or CF and I am in a great spot for power lifting. I am doing competitions and have to do them all scaled instead of masters or intermediate because I can't do pull ups. I feel like I am cheating a bit though because I can lift so much weight for the scaled category. Oh well, some of them can probably do a lot of pull ups.
  • sydneytomunich
    sydneytomunich Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, @kellyemontana - pull ups. I am also no closer after 3 months.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, @kellyemontana - pull ups. I am also no closer after 3 months.

I just started CF but it took me probably a year or more of lifting regularly before I got unassisted pullups. I can do 3 or 4 unbroken chin ups and probably 2 ugly pull ups. I have done a lot of banded pullups and slow negatives (both with and without a band). For females especially chin ups will be easier than pullups but in my experience you need to work on them 3x/week for several months before you'll see much progress. Or you could try a "grease the groove" method where you jump up and do a slow negative 3x every day (if you have a pullup bar at home).
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm not trying to hijack this. I was doing lat pull downs and pull ups on a pole before CF. I've been doing progressions on pull ups 5x per week for 10 months and am getting further away. Negatives, body rows, ring rows, static holds, bands, box pull ups, barbell rows, lat pull downs, chin ups, narrow grip, wide grip, assisted with a machine, single arm rows, blah, etc., etc. etc. I think sometimes we need to do less and allow some recovery. I would recommend that to the OP, too. Don't forget to let your muscles build themselves back up as you are tearing them down.