Questions on long run gear/fuel

Options
CatchMeJess
CatchMeJess Posts: 14 Member
Could some of you seasoned runners offer guidance on the following questions. My weekend runs are starting to get up into the double-digit mileage, so the things I put on and in my body are starting to matter more. Thanks!

(1) What are the best socks for long distance running?

(2) How useful is a GPS/heart rate monitor watch? What are the better brands/models?

(3) Do you fuel before or during a long run? What and how often do you eat (and where do you carry it :) ?

(4) Do you wear sunscreen and if so, what kind?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    1. I recently bought a pair of lulu lemon running socks that I'm quite happy with. In cold weather I will wear compression socks.

2. Gps watch and hrm are awesome training tools. I would recommend Garmin, what kind depends on your budget and goals.

3. I do not fuel before or during, except on 20 mile runs when I'm rehearsing what I will do for the race. Sometimes I carry water.

4. I don't wear sunscreen. I mostly run in the dark but even in the sun sweat and sunscreen are a bad combo, gets in the eyes. I recommend a hat. Headsweats make good ones.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Don't know how helpful this will be, I'm a little odd, but I'll answer anyway! ;-)

I'm a huge fan of Balega, but a pair i had for about 3 months has a hole! At $11 a pair, that hole makes me mad. Also, it's not unbearable, but i find them a bit warm for summer. I recently got a pair of fitsoks, they are light weight and i think I'm going to buy more. I quite like them.

(2) How useful is a GPS/heart rate monitor watch? What are the better brands/models?
    I've got my garmin fr 220, I could live without it. I stopped using the hr strap because i just didn't like it. I'm not the right person to answer this one!

(3) Do you fuel before or during a long run? What and how often do you eat (and where do you carry it :) ?
    I fuel before. I ran 14 today on two breakfasts with swimming lessons in between breakfasts. If it wasn't for the swimming lessons 1 breakfast would have been sufficient. So i carry a snack in my camelback or fuel belt, but because I eat before i generally don't need it. I carry baby food pouches, honey stinger waffles and jelly beans. I eat if I'm hungry, but that's rare. I may need to start using my snacks as my runs climb from 2.5 hours to 3. But maybe not. I do drink water on my runs though, helps keep the sinuses clear.

i wear cvs brand 50 spf for kids spray and the stick of California Baby for my face.. The spray is sticky but i forget about it quickly. I wasn't wearing it until i noticed how dark my tan was getting and i got freaked out.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    1. I wear the same socks I wear for any run. I *have* started wearing compression socks after a long run but jury is out on this

2. I am partial to Garmin and as I like bells and whistles if buying a new one I'd get a 620. I have a HR monitor but really don't pay attention to HR all that much. It all depends on goals and budget. Truth be told you could buy a $20 Timex with a lap feature and get a good workout :)

3. I carry, or make sure fluids are available for anything over about an hour. I will start with sports drink at about 90 minutes, but not a lot of it. Once I hit 16 miles I will start with gels. Your body does not need gels at this point. Really you do not need them at all except a marathon (or more) but a fueling strategy is part of training so I start trying to replicate. I generally have 150 easily digestible carbs before my run. For YEARS I ran fasted (I am a first thing in the morning person)

4. It is usually very early or shaded so I rarely wear sunscreen. If I do I use whatever we have around. Be sure to not glob it on or you can clog your pores which will hinder sweating (cooling)
  • CatchMeJess
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!

Jen, I'm surprised that you don't fuel before or during the long runs. But if that works for you, then more power to you! I've been hearing more and more people advocating fasted runs which I'm cool with - but I didn't know how well it would work as the distance builds.

I think I would have to agree on the sweat + sunscreen = burning eyes! Moving my morning runs up from 8 to 6 might help beat the summer heat and sun.

I'm currently wearing plain-Jane Hanes white cotton socks, so I figured there had to be something out there with better moisture-wicking properties. E, you had some great suggestions, so I'll look into those brands. I have a fall birthday and I'm always looking for goodies to add to the wish list. :)

Thanks so much guys - all great feedback! I appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences!
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I wear low rise or no show socks.....whatever brand I grab from the drawer (I don't spend much time worrying about socks)

I carry my iphone with me and use the runkeeper app Haven't used my heart rate monitor in years and have misplaced it

If I am running a race or a long run, I will eat 1 toast with a small amount of peanut butter. I have used jelly beans during my runs for fuel and bananas on the races for mid run fuel. I am experimenting on individually wrapped fig newtons. Carried in my pocket unless I am using a camelbak, then I carry it in the waistbelt. On training runs I would stage water but now I just carry it.

Sunscreen, sunscreen sunscreen!!! I live by it! I have on occasion got it in my eyes but it has never been a run ending event for me, just a minor annoyance.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This TOTALLY depends on you. My dad loves Wigwam Ironman Flash Pro socks. I love Under Armour Grippy socks. It depends on your foot shape, how hot/swollen your feet get over long distances, etc. I love socks that are thin, wicking, but don't have tight arch compression bands because my feet swell so much when I run that the bands make my feet ache. You'll have to find a pair you like and NEVER LET THEM GO EVER ;)

GPS watch is AMAZING for long distance training. Takes the guess work out of pacing and distance. I can't imagine training for half or full marathons without one. A HRM though, I don't use one and have no desire to have one. I never push myself hard enough that I'd need a HRM, so I'm fine saving the money.

(3) Do you fuel before or during a long run? What and how often do you eat (and where do you carry it)?
    I do both. There are a lot of varied opinions about this on the Long Distance board. But I like to get up about an hour before I want to head out the door to drink water and eat some granola. Then I take caffeinated Honey Stinger chews and eat a couple of those every 3-5 miles. I have a water bottle with a hand strap and a zippered pouch, so I keep an ID and my chews in there. The bottle gets heavy after a while, but I think it's better than a hydration belt; when I wear my Spibelt to carry my phone, my back is sore when I get done running :/

Yes! I wear a generic SPF 30 spray-on sunscreen on my legs/arms/chest/back, and I use Neutrogena SPF 70 lotion on my face. I like to use the Neutrogena on my face because it rubs in and never runs, so no matter how sweaty I get, I'm not tasting sunscreen.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I like smart wool lite socks and in the winter I have the thicker kind. I like them because they keep my feet feeling dryer.

I use my GPS watch, garmin 210. I like it. It came with HRM but it chaffs my chest really bad in the summer, so I don't use it.

I eat oatmeal w/ fruit and a cup of coffee before my long runs. I carry honey stingers with me. I use nuun in my water in the summer.

I use sport sunscreen. I think I bought banana boat. It works fine.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    As a distance runner who has also dealt with very early stages of skin cancer, I always tell any runner I know who asks...wear sun screen!!!!!! I use spf 50 sport and sometimes I reapply by running by my house. Do not forget your ears, especially the helix . that is where my issue was, I would do my ears but never really took careful time to get the helix and I paid the price. You don't realize how that part of your ear is just constantly exposed, and my doctor told me it is one of the most common areas for a runner to develop atypical moles and worse.
  • CatchMeJess
    Options
    I've heard a lot of votes for Garmin GPS watches but not necessarily the heart rate monitor. The HR monitor sounds important if you're concerned about training in specific zones, but I haven't met too many people like that.

So the belts are no good? I've been running with a water bottle in my hand which is just ok (better than going thirsty). Do the camelbaks jostle around when you run?
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm not really seasoned, but these are my experiences so far (with my longest distance currently the HM and my longest training currently at 12 miles):

(1) I wear Feetures. I like them because they're not too pricey, and they're comfortable. The more expensive style (elites?) is pretty thin with a good amount of tightness for support.

(2) I love my Garmin 210 and wear it all the time, though I don't wear the HRM as often as I would like.

(3) I fuel before and during, though I've heard a lot of experienced people say they usually don't, and I'm working toward that. I like a bagel with peanut butter a couple hours before a long run or race. I'm still experimenting with what to eat during.

(4) I just got some CeraVe sunscreen and LOVE it. It's a physical sunscreen (mainly zinc oxide) as opposed to cheaper sunscreens that use chemical blockers. I don't really need much though, so the bottle is lasting a lot longer than I expected it would. It leaves a little bit of a white sheen, and I try to let it dry a bit before I put on my clothes. Even with liberal application of chemical sunscreens, I would still develop tan lines, which tells me they weren't super effective. I don't get any tan lines with the CeraVe. Did I mention I LOVE it? :smile: If you do get a chemical sunscreen, at least make sure the bottle says it's broad-spectrum (blocks both UVA and UVB rays).
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of votes for Garmin GPS watches but not necessarily the heart rate monitor. The HR monitor sounds important if you're concerned about training in specific zones, but I haven't met too many people like that.

So the belts are no good? I've been running with a water bottle in my hand which is just ok (better than going thirsty). Do the camelbaks jostle around when you run?

I have a belt, it's okay. I use it for really long runs and use my handheld for shorter distances or if I know I can refill. I don't like using my camelbak in the summer it chaffs on my collar bone.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Let's see...

Socks: i am a huge Belaga fan. They make sock in difference "weights" or thicknesses. I wear a very thin/light weight sock. Being in Mississippi, my feet melt! I also put deodorant/antiperspirant on my feet before my socks. That helps, too.

I do not wear sunscreen even though I know I should. It gets in my eyes and attracts bugs. Ick.

I carry a Nathan 22 oz water bottle with me from Feb/March through Oct. It stays warm enough here to need it. Most every run I do is at least 1.5 hrs or more, so I need to rehydrate. No belts or back packs. Chafing
    issues.

As far as breakfast, grits and coffee before the run. I do not refuel during my runs anymore. I used to be a GU girl but have gotten away from that. I just live off the "fat of the land" and believe you me, there is plenty of that! HA!

I love my Garmin but no longer wear the HRM. It chafes me. Ouch!

I think that is everything. If I forgot something, I'm sorry. Good luck!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Same ones I wear for everything else. I use Asics Hydrology socks (3x for $12) and I have thin and thicker ones. Also, a pair of Smartwools for extreme cold.

For me, they're great for measuring effort somewhat quantifiably, as well as seeing progress over long term. Depending the kind of run I'm doing, I'm either managing effort or pace. I prefer Garmin.

Banana before I go. While I'm out long, I do sports drink and chewing gum. Mostly for keeping my mouth from getting dry. I use a handheld. I can live with or without food, but far from need it and it depends on the nature of the run.

Nah. I don't typically run in the full blazing sun and have several routes with lots of tree cover, and i go at all hours of the day and I mind the cloud coverage too.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I like Balega the best. Hidden Comfort for long slower runs. Hidden Contour if I'm moving a little faster. I also like Wright and Thorlo Experia.

I have a Garmin 310XT and I love it. I use it to keep track of how far I've gone, how fast I'm going, and I use the HRM to manage my effort.

I do not fuel before any runs (except half marathon races). I drink a cup of coffee and some water about an hour or so before I go and don't eat until I get home. My longest run has been 16 miles and I've been fine up to that distance. There are a couple of water fountains accessible where I run but I don't use them unless I'm out more than 90 minutes or so.

I usually run early in the morning, in which case I don't use sunscreen. On the rare occassions that I run in the afternoon I use whatever sunscreen is around (usually some kid specific something) and wear a hat.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that many of you are skipping the sunscreen, because it gets in your eyes or your mouth and/or clogs your poses.
    Not a good idea.
    In this day and age, we all are going to live a long time. We are going to get basal cell carcinomas and wrinkles. Sunscreen use will mitigate those.
    Try applying the sunscreen one to two hours before you go out. I find it really cuts down on the getting-in-the-eyes problem. And, I sweat a lot.
    Here endeth the scolding.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well during winter I love my smart wool and actually have some lightweight summer ones. I also have four pairs of Drymax from Road Runner Sports that I love. And a few pairs of Asics. Anything that helps you avoid blisters ;)

I love my Garmin. It allows me to go run trails without mile markers. Is it necessary? No. But I do love it. I have the lowbrow model, the Forerunner 10. I am not really techy-I just want to know how far and how fast. My husband being a sweetie bought me the fancy 620 but I returned it. That thing was too fancy for me :) I don't have one w the hrm. I hate wearing the band.

Well back in the day when I ran farther I carried water. But I live in hell, aka the South, so the temp and humidity kill you. Nowadays I am fine without it and when I was training for my half I didn't carry fuel. I probably will when my long runs go above that 13. I have used gels in the past. So gross. I like the clif blocks or the little gummy things.

I have a camelpak with a pocket. I run a lot of trails so water sources are either nonexistent or only suitable for my dog, who licks her own butt so isn't really a connoisseur.

My moisturizer has it in it. I probably should have extra. But I don't.
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

This varies, for awhile I was just wearing general ankle socks during the run and changing to compression after. Occasionally for HM's I will run with my compression socks depending on the weather, route.

I recently bought a Polar FT4 watch, not a lot of bells and whistles but I it helps me keep track of time/pace and how much/what I need to refuel after.

I eat something small before a long run, usually an english muffin with some PB, decaf coffee and some water. Quick stop at the BR and I'm good to go. As far as during a long run I've tried ShotBloks and overall they are okay but you need to make sure you have water with them else it can cause some GI Issues.

As far as sunscreen, I generally try to make sure I apply before a run as I tend to burn easily. As far as the face I use a formula made for sports or a product made for babies and I haven't found any issues as far as dripping or getting in my eyes, also I suggest a hat for extra protection.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    (1) What are the best socks for long distance running? There are lots of different kinds, and this is one of those things that you will have to figure out what works best for you via trial and error (kind of like shoes... the best shoes for me are not universally the best shoes for everyone)

(2) How useful is a GPS/heart rate monitor watch? What are the better brands/models? I have found it very useful in that I can keep an eye on my pace for longer runs, when it becomes more important to make sure you're hitting a certain goal (if you're practicing a certain speed to see if you can sustain it for the race), or making sure you're not going TOO FAST right in the beginning and then not lasting for the long haul. Garmin makes some "basic" models that are affordable, in the $130 range, which works for everything I need it to.

(3) Do you fuel before or during a long run? What and how often do you eat (and where do you carry it :) ? Before a long run, I eat very lightly, like I would before a race (bread with peanut butter, coffee, some water). I bring one water bottle during the run, and sometimes some fruit snacks or sports jelly beans (though I don't eat the whole thing). I carry the water bottle in my hand, and any snack I bring just gets shoved into my bra LOL! I'm flat chested, and I could easily run without a bra, and I joke that my bra is just a convenient snack pouch. Carrying a water bottle is annoying, especially because mine isn't even one meant for running (it's just a basic bottle, but I'm broke right now). I do an out-and-back trail run, so I'll leave the water bottle at the mile 4 trail marker, then pick it up on my way back out, so I'm not carrying it the whole time, but still have the option to drink water . I generally try to keep my fueling to a minimum on my runs, because there are ZERO places for me to use the bathroom out on that trail, and it's always populated enough where I can't really hide and find a spot even if it's an emergency!

(4) Do you wear sunscreen and if so, what kind? I wear sunscreen. I buy the kind that comes in a tube (kind of like an oversized chapstick), because it's the only kind that doesn't start dripping into my eyes if I sweat. That stuff is thick and feels like I rubbed vaseline all over my face, but it stays put and does its job! I also use a Halo headband that has a plastic band that redirects the sweat to run down the side of my face, which also helps prevent that whole sweat-in-my-problem I used to have.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Could some of you seasoned runners offer guidance on the following questions. My weekend runs are starting to get up into the double-digit mileage, so the things I put on and in my body are starting to matter more. Thanks!

1. Another vote for Balega here. I've tried a few different brands but keep coming back to these. I order from Amazon or Runners Warehouse to get them cheaper.

2. I have no experience here yet, but I'm ready to invest in a Garmin. I found that once I got to 8+ mile runs, I got to the point that a Garmin would be useful in monitoring my pace. I ruined a PR in a half marathon by starting out too fast because I didn't have a good way to track my pace. I thought I was hanging around a 12:30 pace, but when my Runkeeper gave me my pace I was at a flat 11:00. Dialed it back, and still didn't slow down enough. A few more miles and I was toast. Constant feedback on my pace would've let me PR.

3. I ALWAYS take fuel with me, but I don't always use it. I have mild hypoglycemia, so I always need something with me in case my blood sugar drops. I would eat a protein bar 30-45 minutes before leaving for my run, and that has always worked well for me.

4. I don't. I should. My runs are really short right now as I'm coming back from an injury, so they're not really long enough to worry about it yet.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Drymax 3/4 lite trail socks for everything.
    Garmin time, pace, distance is all I need. You get what you pay for.
    Eat normal before and after. Eat gu once and hour or so in training with water and each 45 minutes in a race of a marathon distance or farther. Ultras require for food than that.
    Almost never wear sunscreen though some think I should. I've had melanoma skin cancer and my brother died from melanoma. I tend to cover up with a hat and long sleeves if possible.

I also hate wearing but spray no matter how bad the bugs are.