Hi everyone. I'm pre-op for the Sleeve. Surgery is scheduled for July 23rd so I am in the middle of the pre-op diet of shakes, veggies and fruit. Looking for tips on what to either add to the shakes or what to eat that will keep me full. Because I'm only 3 days in, my stomach hasn't shrunk yet so I'm starving! Thank you :smile:

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Welcome to the group! You will find a wealth of experience here. I am also pre-op and have found so much support and information here. The thing I have found most useful is the breadth of experiences that people have had with their surgeries. I hope it will help reduce the anxiety when something happens that I didn't expect.

My suggestion is to go back through the past few pages of topics on the forum and read, read, read. Then if something doesn't make sense, ask!

I should find out my surgery date on Friday!

Rob
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    you might try a tsp of flax meal in your smoothies. i put it in almost everything i make. i drink a lot of kroger cabmaster skim milk. only 60 cal a cup with 11g of protein. i drink it for a pickme up when i feel weak
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I found I wasn't starving with the preop food plan and I think it was because it was so high in protein along with all the extra water. I have never been one to drink a lot of anything, so getting 64 ounces of water in was hard. Maybe that just distracted me, but I remember drinking and feeling so full all the time. Ask them if you should be upping the protein and if yes, try Isopure Zero from GNC. It counts towards your water for the day and has over 40 grams of protein in each bottle. Really helps curb the hunger.

Pat
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    What do you all use for blending...just a standard blender or something specifically for this?
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    What do you all use for blending...just a standard blender or something specifically for this?

I use a regular blender, but may step up to a more powerful blender (Ninja or VitaMix) as I hear they are better with ice and solids.

Rob
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member

I use a regular blender. I bought one with a strainer so it will take all the lumps/seeds out of my shakes post op.
  • CajunConch3
    CajunConch3 Posts: 3 Member
    I go in a month & I'm excited. IDK if you're into pinterst, but I searched 'protein weight loss shakes' and there are tons of sites with recipes! Many add extract, which provides the flavoring, makes them taste a lil different. There's also the sugar-free 'syrups' like what you would flavor coffee with...just watch out for hidden ingredients. Another thing I saw was using non-fat dried milk...so it can make it creamier without the fat but there are some carbs in it. Also adding a little bit (follow the recipes!) of sugar-free, fat-free instant pudding powder helps.

I found the 'oster my blend' (personal blender) at the local grocery store. They sell extra blender cups for it too.

I sent you a friend request on here too. I'm 41, wife, & 2 adult (21 & 18) kids.
  • Nina824
    Nina824 Posts: 1 Member
    I was sleeved 6/24/14. Definitely get PB2 to add to your shakes. This is a powdered peanut butter and is delicious! It helped me through preop. Post-op I haven't really used it but I think that's because I'm using premixed protein shakes and not powder. Experiment with other flavorings - loved banana, coconut and almond in chocolate shake tastes like almond joy, add orange crystal lite to vanilla for creamsicle. Just remember to start with a little and add more as needed. I used nutri bullet. Good luck!