post-ride weight!

Options
I'm sure I'm not the only one that loves those post-ride weigh-ins; I don't count the weight as an official weigh-in, but I do enjoy stepping on the scale right after a particularly long or intense ride! That low number motivates me to stay on track and make it a 'real' weigh-in number in the not-to-distant future.

Replies

• Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would never have thought to check my weight after my rides! I'm usually to hot and exhausted to do anything! But it does make me wonder...
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Good indicator of fluid loss...if it is more than a few pounds then you probably aren't drinking enough on the ride!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Good indicator of fluid loss...if it is more than a few pounds then you probably aren't drinking enough on the ride!

This ^^^
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Right on! You might lose a half pound real weight on a really long (7+hr) ride but any more would just be from dehydration.

I occasionally weigh myself before and after a hard 1 hr ride without taking in fluids. This gives me an idea of my water loss due to sweat. I then try to drink about that much an hour on longer rides. On cold days I generally need about 16oz of water and on hot days that can easily increase to 24oz.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    Oh yeah, I know it's fluid loss, I just like seeing the lower number! I'm hovering right at 200lbs right now, so it's encouraging to see those 197s after a hard ride.
    In addition to the weight, I make sure I'm not peeing bright/dark yellow post-ride as well; another sign of dehydration.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I was incredibly proud of myself on my 204 mile ride in 93 degree heat as I didn't gain or lose any weight! I was terrified I would dehydrate with the heat and duration of my ride!!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Heheh I do the same thing. Step out of the shower and step on the scale! :bigsmile: Well, I don't do this ALL the time, but today I did because is freakin hot out with the humidity! I sweat like a wet drippy dishrag so yea, I already know its water loss. :laugh:
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Right on! You might lose a half pound real weight on a really long (7+hr) ride but any more would just be from dehydration.

I occasionally weigh myself before and after a hard 1 hr ride without taking in fluids. This gives me an idea of my water loss due to sweat. I then try to drink about that much an hour on longer rides. On cold days I generally need about 16oz of water anWd on hot days that can easily increase to 24oz.

I wouldn't suggest riding without drinking. Just weigh before the ride, ride as usual and drink, when ride is completed, weigh again and adjust for the number of bottles you consumed on the ride.