Activity Bracelets

Options
Smirnoff65
Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
Guys I can really recommend these activity type bracelets, I bought and started using a Polar Loop just over 3 weeks ago and have to say that I am very impressed. It counts the number of steps you take in a 24 hour period, also tells you how many calories you have been burning and how much sleep you have had. You can link it to a free smartphone app for getting more detailed information and it also works along with the Polar heart rate monitors for getting even more accurate information during your exercise routines which is helpful if you do something like cycling which obviously wont record your steps as the bracelet relies on your arm swinging to count the steps. There are many other types of bracelet such as the Fitbit but I went for the Polar because I already had the Polar H7 HRM.

I have been recording the data every day and it now makes more sense to me why I have been losing the weight as much as I have, according to the figures I am actually burning on average about 3,300 calories a day which is about 500 more than I previously thought I was. The figures also seem to match up quite closely to my losses over the past 3 weeks when I correlate them with my calories consumed;

Week 1
Total calories burned = 22,630
Total calories consumed = 12,436
Deficit = 10.194
Theoretical loss (assuming that 3,500 cals = 1lb) = 2.9lbs
Actual loss = 2lbs

Week 2
Total calories burned = 24,132
Total calories consumed = 14,428
Deficit = 9,704
Theoretical loss = 2.8lbs
Actual loss = 2lbs

Week 3
Total calories burned = 23,267
Total calories consumed = 12,361
Deficit = 10,906
Theoretical loss = 3.1lbs
Actual loss = 3lbs

Whilst I realise there are many other factors that can be taken in to account when it comes to weighing yourself such as fluid retention, I do find the science of this encouraging and I will continue to monitor this closely especially when I do hit my target weight and move in to the maintaining stage.

Replies

• 1013carl
    1013carl Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks Smirnoff for sharing this information... I've began to consider one of there activity bracelets... with your input and success I going to have to look at them a bit closer.... thanks again!
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    Thanks Carl, I am certainly very impressed with it, though if you are contemplating getting one I would definitely say get a heart rate monitor too as while they are great for counting your steps the likes of yourself who does a lot of climbing flights of stairs will see more calories burned if it is able to measure your heart beat at the same time rather than just counting the amount of steps you take likewise with your cycling. I do find that I do that bit extra walking about just to ensure I beat my daily 10,000 step target.
  • antrobin
    antrobin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit flex, I do wish that it had more features. It doesn't count stairs though the fitbit one does. There is no heart rate monitor. Since I wear it on my wrist and enjoy the alarm functions so I don't need an alarm clock. I think it should also include a watch.
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    I have a FitBit flex, I do wish that it had more features. It doesn't count stairs though the fitbit one does. There is no heart rate monitor. Since I wear it on my wrist and enjoy the alarm functions so I don't need an alarm clock. I think it should also include a watch.

The Loop does have a watch on it but doesn't have alarms, it does send messages to you if you have been sitting for an hour telling you to get up and do something, a bit like my wife lol
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    Have been taking part in the July Step challenge in the fitness section, pleased with my daily average;

July 1 : 11,126
    July 2 : 8,687
    July 3 : 18,675
    July 4 : 17,360
    July 5 : 15,407
    July 6 : 15,649
    July 7 : 6,358
    July 8: 9,142
    July 9: 11,660
    July 10: 23,782
    July 11: 18,942
    July 12: 12,663
    July 13: 16,965
    July 14: 3,682
    July 15: 11,648
    July 16: 5,618
    July 17: 19,715
    July 18: 15,159
    July 19: 23,867
    July 20: 1,830
    July 21: 23,152
    July 22: 4,511
    July 23: 22,631
    July 24: 7,933
    July 25: 18,031
    July 26: 4,164
    July 27: 15,351
    July 28: 19,166
    July 29: 14,384
    July 30: 22,675
    July 31: 13,782

Average: 13,994
    Total: 433,805
  • antrobin
    antrobin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow! you are killing it with the steps Smirnoff. I am pleased that my daily activities are about 9000 average. To get more than that I have to hit the tread mill. I should change my mindset to get on the treadmill so that I can wear it out and then send it down river to the dump. I hate to get rid of items that aren't used up. Hmm what is the average mileage on a treadmill????
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    Wow! you are killing it with the steps Smirnoff. I am pleased that my daily activities are about 9000 average. To get more than that I have to hit the tread mill. I should change my mindset to get on the treadmill so that I can wear it out and then send it down river to the dump. I hate to get rid of items that aren't used up. Hmm what is the average mileage on a treadmill????

I do at least 7k steps when I'm working then often come home and either go to the gym (about 13k) or walk the dog (about 7k) on my rest days I walk to the fridge or bathroom lol...... average life of a treadmill is 2.3miles Fact!!!
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One which is really good for steps and miles. Calories tend to be off although interestingly there seems to be an adjustment down when it syncs. I have been contemplating doing something different and may have to think about the Polar. My daughter wants a Fitbit and she can have mine then... :happy:

I park a ways from the office and tend to get a lot of steps in between here and there during the day and if I'm not getting on my bike, I usually push somewhere between 12-16,000 steps - I get to the higher number when I take the train because of the amount of walking between stations and the station and the office.

Our treadmill should be toast then
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    Ann if you are thinking of getting the Loop I would invest in the H7 hrm too for whenever you are doing a workout, they both complement each other wonderfully, the problem with any bracelet is a step is a step it doesn't know if you are slogging up a hill or downhill whereas if you have the HRM attached it will recognise your efforts via your increased heartbeat and up the calories accordingly, as for the calorie burn I have been doing all sorts of comparison tests to check the accuracy between Loop vs Polar Beat (app that works with the H7) Loop vs Digifit's iCardio (another app that works with the H7) and Polar Beat vs iCardio and have to say they are all giving me very similar results. At the moment I am actually wearing two HRM's for every workout I do, one connected with the Loop and the other on iCardio, wish this would count as double calories burned lol
  • hirstrl
    hirstrl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    been looking into geting a fitbit for a while now. this makes me really just go out and get one!
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    been looking into geting a fitbit for a while now. this makes me really just go out and get one!

If you are geeky (like me) you will find they do give you encouragement to do a bit more than usual. I don't know much about the fitbit but can certainly recommend the Loop and it is waterproof if you like to swim
  • 1013carl
    Options
    Smirnoff, last night I went ahead and ordered myself the Polar Loop and the HRM... I've wanted to get this for a while and was always intrigued by all of the data you have available. Excited to get it and it's benefits for my workouts!

Thanks for the reviews and reporting... really feel I've made a grate choice.

Carl -
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    1013carl wrote: »
    Smirnoff, last night I went ahead and ordered myself the Polar Loop and the HRM... I've wanted to get this for a while and was always intrigued by all of the data you have available. Excited to get it and it's benefits for my workouts!

Carl -

Fantastic Carl, did you get the Polar H7 hrm? Do you have a smartphone?
  • 1013carl
    Options
    Smirnoff65 wrote: »

Carl -

Fantastic Carl, did you get the Polar H7 hrm? Do you have a smartphone?
    Yes on both counts... My phone is an older android.... Seriously considering one of the new IPhones.... Never owned an Apple product before...
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    I don't like Apple at all so I always stick to android, go to the google play store and download the Polar Beat app to your phone (this is free) or you can get Digifit's iCardio app this is also free but you need to go premium if you want to use the hrm with it but it is only about $4 or $5 and personally I think it is a better app though Polar Beat does work well too, use one of these apps for your exercise sessions or if you are out on your bike. You can also connect the hrm to your polar loop if you wish but unfortunately you can't do both as Bluetooth is limited to one device at a time. I get round this by wearing two hrm's (I stole my wifes one lol) but in all honesty just using the app is ample as this will make use of the gps function on the phone and allow you to go to either the Polar Flow website or Digifits (depending which app you decide to go for) and see detailed data about your workout, you can also look at the map of for instance where you cycled. One of the reasons I use Digifit rather than Polar Beat is that it is compatible with MFP, so once I finish a session I just hit sync and it automatically puts my calories in to my diary, Polar Beat will also count your calories but you will have to take a note of them and enter them manually in your diary. Both apps are very easy to set the hrm up with and likewise if you are using the hrm along with the loop it is simply a matter of pressing one button to link it up via the bluetooth. My only concern is that if you as you say have an older android that the version may not be compatible with the bluetooth version of the hrm. Any questions you have give me a shout.
  • 1013carl
    Options
    Got the Loop and the hrm in an registered last night... Quite a cool band. I had issues with my phone not being compatible with their app.... I'll spend some time this weekend working out the setup and seeing what it does. This my prompt me to get that old phone replaced....
  • Smirnoff65
    Options
    Got the Loop and the hrm in an registered last night... Quite a cool band. I had issues with my phone not being compatible with their app.... I'll spend some time this weekend working out the setup and seeing what it does. This my prompt me to get that old phone replaced....

Excellent