Let Them Eat Cake

Options
SandraJN
SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
Yesterday I modified a yellow cake recipe that I like. I used Sweetleaf's Sugarleaf, a stevia/cane sugar blend. I didn't add a bulking agent because there was more of the sugar/stevia unlike simply pure stevia. It turned out rather well, but I will do it again using stevia and apple sauce to see if it can be lighter in texture. I used Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and duck eggs.

The cake was iced in a cooked chocolate icing, also made with the sugar blend. I put the cake at 10 servings and came up with 368 calories per serving.

I have insulin resistance, so I try to find ways to make baked goods without using sugar and using whole grains. Baking with stevia is a challenge so I tried the blend.

Replies

• abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. Great job on modifying it!
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! It always makes experimenting in the kitchen so much better when the end product turns out good!

You should take a look at chocolatecoveredkatie.com - love this blog for healthy desserts!
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    . It turned out rather well, but I will do it again using stevia and apple sauce to see if it can be lighter in texture. I used Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and duck eggs..

I know applesauce does not fall in line completely with the "clean eating" theme of this group but we use applesauce in almost all of our baked goods. We are gluten free and the various GF flours we use need a lot of help to get them to work correctly. Applesauce works better than anything else we found to even out the texture.
  • SandraJN
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with applesauce. There are many that have nothing but apples in it. I am not a zealot, I don't consider pizza a bad thing, nor french fries. Too much of either is not a good thing, but both are identifiable as food. I'm a trained cook, a longtime purveyor of local and sustainable who found out I needed to learn another lesson. For me, at this time in my life it has become all about whole grains. I loved my double zero flour for pizza crusts, but now cannot touch it. Simple carbs are not my friend, no more semolina flour, I needed to make an abrupt change.

There is a difference between processing, as in preserving and over-processing as in "what the hell is this." I can fruit and vegetables, I freeze produce, I have my bacon and hams smoked. This is processing, as in preserving. Slow roasting and storing in olive oil, an ancient form of preserving. There is nothing better for a tomato sauce than canned San Marzano tomatoes. I use canned tomatoes all of the time, as well as canned beans. I also use dried beans, but that takes planning.

I see the argument on the forums that anything in a box or a can is processed, so THERE! Seriously……

Sorry, a rant. I will post the recipe when I have it perfected. It will never duplicate the original, which is amazing, but for those of us who cannot have simple carbs it is a very good thing!
  • girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife
    Options
    I think that applesauce can be clean…just depends on how it was made and who made it.
  • Soggynode
    Options
    Sorry, a rant. I will post the recipe when I have it perfected. It will never duplicate the original, which is amazing, but for those of us who cannot have simple carbs it is a very good thing!
    Not taken as a rant :) It read like a well thought out, nicely articulated definition of what you consider processed. That is why I like this group, it has room for lots of opinions and new ideas (and tasty recipes as a bonus).

I look forward to seeing how your cake experiments turn out. I'm new to using stevia and have not tried to bake with it. I didn't realize it acted differently. Good stuff to know.
  • SandraJN
    Options
    When you bake with stevia you need to compensate for the bulk the sugar adds, so any kind of fruit pulp that would work with the recipe, yogurt, egg whites, needs to be added to make up the bulk. It's about a 1/3 cup of bulking product per cup of sugar as a replacement. Stevia holds up to heat but can't be heated to above 400 F. It will not brown, which is what is good about the blend.

Cane sugar is different from high fructose corn syrup. It's a simple carb and will quickly convert to glucose, but it is a sucrose and the human body is able to metabolize it. Corn syrup is not entirely fructose, but is a high percentage fructose. The human body is unable to metabolize fructose, ergo we see lots of apple shaped people walking around not knowing why diabetes is epidemic.
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    YAY! for this thread! I have never been a sweets person until recently I used to be potato-potato any which way but especially chips and french fries however lately I am craving more sweets...I'm VERY new to the idea of clean eating and so I'm take some gradual steps in that direction but would love more Clean recipes that are desserts!
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between processing, as in preserving and over-processing as in "what the hell is this." I can fruit and vegetables, I freeze produce, I have my bacon and hams smoked. This is processing, as in preserving. Slow roasting and storing in olive oil, an ancient form of preserving. There is nothing better for a tomato sauce than canned San Marzano tomatoes. I use canned tomatoes all of the time, as well as canned beans. I also use dried beans, but that takes planning.

Completely agree! I use a lot of processed foods.....I just make sure they are processed WHOLE foods without unnecessary additives. Now I want some applesauce! :smile:
    Cane sugar is different from high fructose corn syrup. It's a simple carb and will quickly convert to glucose, but it is a sucrose and the human body is able to metabolize it. Corn syrup is not entirely fructose, but is a high percentage fructose. The human body is unable to metabolize fructose, ergo we see lots of apple shaped people walking around not knowing why diabetes is epidemic.

Sucrose (cane sugar) actually isn't that different from HFCS. Sucrose is 50/50 fructose and glucose. There are two common types of HFCS, one is 55% fructose and 42% glucose, and the other is 42% fructose and 53% glucose. And agave syrup is 85% fructose! I think honey is about 38% and maple syrup is mainly sucrose, so its about the same as cane sugar. I think the only reason to choose more unrefined versions (like raw honey, real maple, raw sugar, etc) is for the added vitamins/minerals/etc. Fructose is fructose and its all metabolized by the liver. If I can help it, I try to only consume fructose in the form nature intended....with fiber :wink:

Edited to add...

If I've misstated something here, be gentle with me! I'm not a chemist, nor do I play one on TV. I've just been researching fructose lately (I believe it is the source of my inflammation & gout).
  • SandraJN
    Options
    I misspoke when I wrote fructose is not metabolized by the human body. Fructose from a natural source, fruit, is. The high fructose corn syrup is what is linked by numerous studies to be the culprit. It has filtered its' way into every packed food known to mankind.
  • Soggynode
    Options
    I misspoke when I wrote fructose is not metabolized by the human body. Fructose from a natural source, fruit, is. The high fructose corn syrup is what is linked by numerous studies to be the culprit. It has filtered its' way into every packed food known to mankind.

My wife made it her personal mission to eliminate HFCS from our diet about two years ago. It was kinda funny to watch... it could have a small amount of almost anything else, moon rocks, yak hair, tree bark pretty much anything as long as there was no HFCS. She's since expanded to GMO's and a few food colorings. As far as I know, moon rocks, yak hair, and tree bark are still OK.
  • SandraJN
    Options
    Your wife and I could be food twins!
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you all know that I read through this post today and it made me smile. I love sweets but I'm allergic to corn, so anything with corn syrup, corn starch, even corn on the cob isn't for me. It's interesting to me how many people don't realize it's in so much. Like ketchup...why oh why is there corn syrup in ketchup!
  • SandraJN
    Options
    It's in everything, imo, because it's a subtle way of getting people addicted. I think those of us here have become very proficient label readers.