Ankle/Foot Issues

Options
Hi!!!

I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions for a foot that swells slightly and is sore after running? I sprained my right foot the first time when I was a teenager and have had problems off and on since. I did notice that once I stopped wearing flipflops or slip on shoes of any type my foot got better. Within the last few weeks I ran a mile on two different occasions without any issue. I would like to increase the amount of time I am running but am hesitant to do it since I've had so many issues in the past. I'm not sure how to increase mileage to avoid any further injury. I really enjoy running and would like to get back into it successfully. : )

Replies

• mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    A couple of basic things to think about are running shoes and running form. I have not experienced what you have, but when I don't lace my shoes tightly enough, the bottom of my feet will start to burn from my shoes slipping around. I would make sure that you are not lacing them too tightly. Experiment to see if it changes. I also subscribe to the Chi Running style which has me landing on my midfoot when running so that there is less impact on my feet/legs/knees/hips. I also try to land with my foot right under my hip and not out in front. One thing I tried to simulate when I was learning this was to pretend I was running on ice. This is very much the form. But check it out and at least assess your form is and how it is impacting your body.

As I got introduced into running I would also mix up my runs where I was walking for lets say 1/2 mile and then would run the next 1/2 mile continuously building up my running base.

Good luck.
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! My foot/ankle is getting stronger. I will try these ideas!
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have sprained my ankles and I have experienced edema from overuse and then not elevating my feet. I have done many things to heal and protect my ankles. Here are all the things I have done or am doing year after year.

1. Stretch, stretch, stretch and do yoga regularly
    2. Proprioceptive exercises-one leg weight lifting (i.e. lunges, single leg Roman deadlift, single leg squat, pistol squat, single leg calf raises)
    3. I wear zero drop running shoes and low/no heel shoes whenever possible.
    4. Eliminate heel striking. Run with a light midfoot strike, always.
    5. After a run or when travelling I wear compression socks. I will also make an effort to get my feet up. One way to do this is to sit on the floor with your feet up on the wall. This feels really good and your legs will feel better right away.
    6. Ice, elevation, rest and even ibuprofen if the swelling is related to inflammation caused by an injury.
    7. I am working on a vegan/vegetarian diet. I suspect this helps also.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I was having similar issues and saw a podiatrist. He showed me how to tape under my foot and around my ankle, but he also recommended that I get the green Super Feet inserts. Best $40 I've ever spent!! Well worth it and helps to keep my foot cushioned. I"m a neutral runner who uses Brooks Ghosts as my go to shoe.