Blood sugar tracking using MFP? (on injections, not pump)

Options
sassysarahmary
sassysarahmary Posts: 11 Member
Hi everyone!!

I'm new to the diabetes forums but not new to my this awesome resource!! I am 33 and have been T1D for 29.5 years. I am currently doing multiple daily injections....have tried the pump for over a year and was not for me. I test tons and done mind doing so. My h1c is currently a little high for me, at 8.0. I am really committed to decreasing to 7 over the next year. I have also just started taking victoza so my insulin dosages are changing slightly. I am very active...hot yoga a few times per week and gym, walks, etc a couple other times per week. I am trying to find the best fit to track both my food (hugely important to me, and I love MFP!!) and my blood sugars and insulin dosages. I don't want to use another tool for my food diary as I find this one to be fantastic. Any suggestions for how to use this effectively for tracking blood sugars/insulin? I have also used glucose buddy but I don't like switching between apps. Any input or evidence is appreciated!!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    That is a good question, and I don't know of any apps for diabetic tracking that link to MFP. Have you found a smartphone app for diabetes? If you found one you like that has detailed food input (as opposed to just entering carbs), I suggest contacting the developer.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have been making notes in my food diary about my BG for a while. It's a lot easier for me to go back to the last time I ate something, see whether it spiked me up or brought me down, and adjust my insulin dosage for that meal. It also helped me to find foods that are always a problem (thank you, hot dogs and peanut butter Atkins bars) so that I can avoid them if possible.
  • sassysarahmary
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I thought about doing that too…..may begin. I really like being able to look at charts at a glance to see trends so the 'notes' are not ideal, but I agree….better than nothing.
  • sassysarahmary
    Options
    Yeah, I think I will contact the MFP developer and see if that gets me anywhere. I have used "Glucose Buddy" to track my insulin and blood sugar and it was pretty good overall. A direct tool in MFP would be the best though. I have noticed that in MFP you can add in different measurements and name them (ie. Novo-Rapid am, Lantus pm, etc. etc.) but I find that how the data is tracked is not very useful and is not integrated into the food diary very well at all.
  • ar1984
    ar1984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use the mySugr app for tracking. I have used it for tracking while on injections and tracking while on the pump - I took a pump break. It allows you to add descriptions of your meals so you can go back and see how certain meals affect control. It is a little cumbersome to use two apps, but I didn't get anywhere when I contacted MFP about integrating BG and insulin options with the food diary.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    You won't get anywhere with MFP. Try to see this from their perspective... a very very very very small percentage of MFP users are type 1 diabetics. Many many many many users do NOT have diabetes or track blood glucose. So if they add this feature, nearly everybody will be confused, and a very few people will be able to use it. Does this sound worthwhile to MFP? Of course not! The only way you are going to be able to get both pieces of data without double-entry is if you can find a diabetes tracking app to enter glucose, insulin, and food. Enter everything there, and have it automtatically feed food and exercise to MFP to provide a data output from MFP.
  • vickicutshall
    vickicutshall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know this is not the perfect answer but I have been using the NOTES feature in MFP to at least leave myself some clues to what was happening that day. I can download my meter data (and in my case pump and CGM) and then look over the MFP stuff for "CSI BG." I do this for a week or 2, but can't be relied upon for that much detail for long stretches. I was impressed that I could actually put quite a bit on the Notes section and it was readable on both the phone and PC.
    Just a little idea.