its everywhere

Options
hmgarcia83
hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
Why is wheat in everything I thought I was safe on lunch came home and looked nope why is there wheat and corn gluten in grilled chicken

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It is everywhere unfortunately but corn does not have gluten and is safe to eat unless you are allergic/intolerant to corn.
  • traceyandelliemay
    traceyandelliemay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    nawwww sweets! it could of been cross contamination. I get so anxious about eating out. Can you believe I once had a waiter tell me there was only a lil bit of gluten in something so it was gluten free and I was like um NO! and it was a 5 star restaurant too. Annoying much!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It might be in the stuff they inject into the chicken or coat it with before they grill it. No gluten in corn though, but if wheat gluten is mixed in - it's obviously a no-no. Always best to get the basic raw unprocessed foods to cook with. Commandment #1: ALWAYS read the food label, and if unsure, call the 1-800 phone number on the side of the package to ask.
  • hmgarcia83
    hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    it listed corn gluten as one thing
  • canadjineh
    Options
    it listed corn gluten as one thing

Can't trust food labels to be accurate - what a farce!
    Quote:

Corn gluten meal. Corn gluten meal (often simply called CGM) is a byproduct of corn (maize) processing that has historically been used as an animal feed (take note that the expression gluten here is inexact; there is no true gluten in corn, but simply corn proteins.
    Used as a weed suppressant & fertilizer for lawns as well.

wikipedia
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't trust that company's other product labels and wouldn't buy anything they made if they are mislabelling. Although apparently some celiacs have had problems with GM corn proteins, from what I have read.
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Gluten hidden in grilled chicken? Man, I hate that kind of thing. Bought pre-made from the store, right?

One of the biggest bummers with that sneaky gluten is in Pringles. Even the plain ones have wheat starch! Sad!

Though I did see recently a grocery store bakery had these cheesecake truffles... Well, the ingredients read HIGH GLUTEN wheat flour. At least they were honest about it, lol.