Out to Eat

Options
I'm wondering what strategies you use when you're out to eat. Do you order what you want and call it a cheat night? Are there menu items that tend to be cleaner than others? Or do you focus on heading to particular restaurants (and which ones)?
I normally order fish, because FH does not appreciate the meal or the accompanying smell when I cook it at home. But when it comes breaded, fried, and in BLT form... well, I think I could do better.
We also order from a local Thai/Malaysian restaurant, which I tend to think of being less processed food, though that could certainly be a misconception.
Do you ask where your restaurants source their food? or "what's in this?"

Replies

• abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have food allergies, so I'm always asking to see ingredients or know how things are made. So----I plan in advance it at all possible. Including calling ahead and seeing if they'll email me ingredient lists. Sometimes if there's a chef they'll make a dish that they know I'll be able to have which is awesome too.

For calories-I log before I order. I know that sometimes that doesn't happen so I try to be mindful of what's in it and the type of food. If I order a salad I get the dressing on the side; most of the time any sandwiches condiments on the side because then I have control over how much is on there and they can pack a wallop of calories in them too.

If I can't do that. Lean protein and fruits/veggies is what I try to stick with. I hope that helps!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't go out to eat very often anymore, so when we do I take the afternoon or evening off (sort of). I'll plan my meal and one or two backup meals in case they're not serving what I wanted, and just enjoy. I'll try to make the best decisions I can based on the menu, but I generally don't stress too much over whether something counts as clean or not.

I even got a side salad one day instead of the delicious French fries one of our favorite restaurant has. :tongue:
  • SilverStormi
    SilverStormi Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If I know we are going out to dinner then I try eat small meals though out the day and to get a nice workout in earlier in the day to give myself some extra calories. Although if I go over its not the end of the world and worth it for a nice night out with friends. I dont view these days as 'cheat days' since I dont view what im doing as dieting. Im trying to change my eating habits and therefore try to base all my food decisions on those new/established habits.

I am very picky when it comes to eating and cant eat certain foods. Like meat and no im not a vegiatarian my stomach cant handle it. I slowly stopped eating meat when I was little and pretty much stopped completely by the time I was 7(drove my mother crazy). If I have any red meet or pork it will upset my stomach for days. Others not so much but still does. So by the rare chance I do have a craving for usually just a small bite that is stolen from my husbands plate. I will weigh it against the reprecussions to see if I really really want some.

Anyway my friends at this point are use to this and try to pick somewhere that has at something I can eat. Usually if I know the place we are going I will check out the menu ahead of time and try to order something on the healthier side. I will try pick something as clean as I can based on the menu discription. Or have them substitute something to make it healthy like skip the side of carbs and give me steamed veggies. But I dont go too crazy. In my mind all of my good choice out weigh the once in a while slip that I dont have ful control over.

I do agree Abby and always get all sauces and dressings on the side.