Surgery date set! Any tips for me?

Options
I have my official surgery date! I will be getting sleeved on August 28th, I am beyond excited as this has been such a process. My insurance did not make it easy on me. I started the process in December, I am happy to get to this point.

I have ordered some sample of protein since I dont have one that I am loyal to. I just have been sticking to the premier one. I am not a big sweet person so some of these flavors scare me with how sweet they sound lol

For those of you that have through the post op eating phase, what tips do you have for me? Anything you wish you would have bought before hand? Anything you wished you would have known?

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I too am more of a savory person and had a hard time with the thick and sweet protein drinks they gave me in the hospital. Talk to your doctor now about this and make sure they will give you something you can get down. I didn't know to do this and wound up staying an extra day because I couldn't get the nutrition down like they wanted. I had to convince them to let me go home and promised I would drink the protien infused broth I had there. And that's what I did. I got chicken and beef broth from my surgeon's store that is really high in protien and that's what I lived on the first couple of weeks. I also got an unflavored protein powder that can be added to any liquid to up the protein. I added this to food when I got to the point of pureed and then on up to regular food. It changed the consistency of some foods, but never the flavor.

Good luck with your surgery and again, talk to the doctor now about your need for savory rather than sweet.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would follow your gut on this one. Keep getting sample sizes until you find what you like. I have way too many items collecting dust because the idea that I might not like them didn't cross my mind.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Since you like savory more than sweet, maybe check out the Unjury chicken soup protein:
    http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/reg/chicken_soup_flavored_protein.shtml
    and the HealthSmart soups:
    http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-soups/healthsmart-soup-variety-pack-7-box.html
    For the Unjury chicken soup, you definitely need to use a food thermometer and keep the temperature of the water you are mixing with the protein powder under 130 degrees. If my memory is right, you can go hotter than that with the HealthSmart soups, as long as the water isn't actually boiling it should mix just fine.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 months out, if your pre-op diet requires protein drinks I'd recommend you find one you like now that will hold you over until surgery don't overstock. Save samples of other stuff because your taste buds are likely to change. I loved Muscle Milk Strawberries & Cream pre-op, not so much after surgery. Post op I've been drinking Syntrax Nectars (Chocolate Truffle & Vanilla Wafer) are my favorites. If and when you can drink caffeine I add a single serve packet of instant coffee to my shakes. I love them.

I didn't stock up too much on other stuff either, my husband went shopping while I was in the hospital and bought lots of soup, jello and I still have a bunch left that I didn't eat. Buy little quantities until you know for sure you're going to tolerate it and enjoy it. My favorite during the liquid stage was Swanson's Mexican Tortilla Chicken broth that I would mix with Campbells Creamy Poblano & Queso soup, it was heavenly!

Good luck! Having surgery has been such a life changer for me I don't regret it for a minute.
  • calgurl855
    calgurl855 Posts: 31
    Options
    I too am more of a savory person and had a hard time with the thick and sweet protein drinks they gave me in the hospital. Talk to your doctor now about this and make sure they will give you something you can get down. I didn't know to do this and wound up staying an extra day because I couldn't get the nutrition down like they wanted. I had to convince them to let me go home and promised I would drink the protien infused broth I had there. And that's what I did. I got chicken and beef broth from my surgeon's store that is really high in protien and that's what I lived on the first couple of weeks. I also got an unflavored protein powder that can be added to any liquid to up the protein. I added this to food when I got to the point of pureed and then on up to regular food. It changed the consistency of some foods, but never the flavor.

Good luck with your surgery and again, talk to the doctor now about your need for savory rather than sweet.

I ordered the unjury chicken soup flavored protein and also the unflavored on. I am praying I like the taste of them lol
  • calgurl855
    calgurl855 Posts: 31
    Options
    Since you like savory more than sweet, maybe check out the Unjury chicken soup protein:
    http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/reg/chicken_soup_flavored_protein.shtml
    and the HealthSmart soups:
    http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-soups/healthsmart-soup-variety-pack-7-box.html
    For the Unjury chicken soup, you definitely need to use a food thermometer and keep the temperature of the water you are mixing with the protein powder under 130 degrees. If my memory is right, you can go hotter than that with the HealthSmart soups, as long as the water isn't actually boiling it should mix just fine.

Thanks for the tip! I like my warm stuff pipping hot I would have made the mixture wrong lol
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My favorite during the liquid stage was Swanson's Mexican Tortilla Chicken broth that I would mix with Campbells Creamy Poblano & Queso soup, it was heavenly!

I am totally going to try that once I get to the full liquids stage. That sounds yummy!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    When you get to the soup/soft food stage you may find processed soups extremely high in sodium which will affect your wt loss. I had to start making my own low sodium soups in the crock pot
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have my official surgery date! I will be getting sleeved on August 28th, I am beyond excited as this has been such a process. My insurance did not make it easy on me. I started the process in December, I am happy to get to this point.

I have ordered some sample of protein since I dont have one that I am loyal to. I just have been sticking to the premier one. I am not a big sweet person so some of these flavors scare me with how sweet they sound lol

For those of you that have through the post op eating phase, what tips do you have for me? Anything you wish you would have bought before hand? Anything you wished you would have known?

Definitely get lots and lots of samples! For many people, their tastes can change a bit after surgery. So one you may love now, might not sit well after. Or maybe you'll have more of a sweet tooth than you imagine. Or maybe not... but having a variety would definitely help!

My biggest tip is to NOT RUSH it!! I had to go very slowly as my sleevie was either particularly swollen or extremely small (even for sleeves). I was told I could start mushies I think (to be honest I don't quite remember, I would have to look it up again) around 3 weeks. So I thought "okay, today is the beginning of week 3 I can now eat mushies". Except, I could barely tolerate protein shakes!! At my one month follow up my surgeon told me to just go at whatever pace I was comfortable with. And I chose to stay on protein shakes for a bit longer. This might sound... boring... but don't forget... you won't have much desire to eat. And if you do it will be "head hunger". Because I went so slow and cautiously? I have not thrown up once since surgery.

Please be careful with the temperature of your liquids... especially when you first taken off of NPO and start drinking in the hospital. Some people can tolerate cold liquids, but it was actually painful for me. My one nurse (the next day) had a lot of experience with post- WLS and told me that many, many, many patients cannot handle cold liquids so quickly. Right after I refused the cold and my mom had them bring me some hot water to put bouillon in... and voila! So much better!! To this day, warm liquids still feel and "sit" better than cold for me!

For the first couple weeks post-surgery... don't expect much weight loss!! Just focus on staying hydrated! Many people are still bloated and swollen from the surgery and find themselves extremely discouraged at this point! Some people lose, some don't at this point. Just something to keep in mind :)

Congrats on getting through the insurance mania!! I think that was the worst part lol!