Slow Going

Options
I know, I know, I just had surgery a few weeks ago - it still seems like slow going to me.....
I had the sleeve with the goal of losing 60or so lbs. Started at 190 and had lost 18lbs by surgery date which was July 2nd. Since surgery, I took off all the fluid weight but have "only" lost another 8-10 lbs. I haven't lost anything in almost a week. I thought it would be a little more than that. I only started "mashed" foods last Wednesday and am pretty much eating only scrambled eggs. Everything else tastes pretty gross. I have been extremely compliant with the food program. I walk every day. My one concern is that now that I am on to pureed foods I am not getting enough liquid. I know am a little dehydrated. I keep a food journal. I'm going back to adding in more liquids this week and up the protein and see if that breaks this stall. Seems early for a "stall" but I see on the forums I guess not. Seems so weird not to be losing ANY weight if you are eating under 1000 calories per day. My mind is playing tricks on me. Anyway just want to confirm I'm just inpatient, not coo-coo

Replies

• kellysuemclean
    kellysuemclean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Based on my results after surgery on 6/6/14, it seems that everything you described is normal. Increase your fluids and keep doing everything the way you are. If you think about it, 8-10 pounds in that short of time is huge! It won't always be that way, however. You will have stalls, and maybe even gain a pound or two (I did!). But it comes right back off the following week. Don't worry! It's not a race, it's a marathon!
  • SKRPY
    SKRPY Posts: 12
    Options
    I had a stall just prior to my 3rd week for almost 2 weeks. The scale has started to move again.... Yeah. I now try to change my food up to make sure I do not eat the same thing every day. Even so, it is still slow going. I know it will happen. Patience Grasshopper!!
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I know, I know, I just had surgery a few weeks ago - it still seems like slow going to me.....
    I had the sleeve with the goal of losing 60or so lbs. Started at 190 and had lost 18lbs by surgery date which was July 2nd. Since surgery, I took off all the fluid weight but have "only" lost another 8-10 lbs. I haven't lost anything in almost a week. I thought it would be a little more than that. I only started "mashed" foods last Wednesday and am pretty much eating only scrambled eggs. Everything else tastes pretty gross. I have been extremely compliant with the food program. I walk every day. My one concern is that now that I am on to pureed foods I am not getting enough liquid. I know am a little dehydrated. I keep a food journal. I'm going back to adding in more liquids this week and up the protein and see if that breaks this stall. Seems early for a "stall" but I see on the forums I guess not. Seems so weird not to be losing ANY weight if you are eating under 1000 calories per day. My mind is playing tricks on me. Anyway just want to confirm I'm just inpatient, not coo-coo

A stall at this point is extremely common!! I see others mentioning it across many boards I'm on and I experienced it myself as well. I think you already realize that what you are experiencing is "normal" but maybe you were hoping you would see more than you expected. 8-10 lbs in only a few weeks is very good!!! I'm not sure what your "few" means, but that is about 2-3lbs per week. Which is awesome!

Also, liquids are everything. Even three years out if my weight swings a bit (i'm still within a healthy BMI) I can always track it to my liquids...or lack of! I dare so at this point your liquids are more important than the proteins. Maybe go back to protein shakes? Not completely but add at least one more into your day or substitute a "meal" for a shake for a bit.

When it comes to the "how is my body not losing weight". I think about this as my body having a temper tantrum. Just like a 3 year old. I just put it through major trauma and now I'm drastically cutting calories and everything is changing so quickly and BAM.. .it can't take it anymore so it has a little fit for a bit and pretty soon it will get over it and move on. I went through a few really big stalls during my loss period and it frustrated me to no end! But the weight did come off!

Finally I wanted to mention... you're goal is to lose about 60lbs overall right? Most people lose about 100 during the first year! I guess my point is that you are actually losing very quickly when you compare it to your overall goal and where you came from!